The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What is your Life Changing Moment? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

erikdobell
View Profile
Regular user
Gatlinburg Tennessee
139 Posts

Profile of erikdobell
New Blog Post - https://www.tnmagician.com/blog/what-is-......g-moment

On that point, does anyone have any interesting stories about the first magic trick they ever saw?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
It's a toss up between the mysterious hands on "Captain Kangaroo" doing a cup and ball routine, and Mark Wilson's "Magic Land of Alakazam!" However, the first time I watch magic and thought; "Hey, this is something I could learn," would be my Uncle Bob, doing a necklace trick.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
It was only after I got serious about performance magic in my teens that I realized my grandmother had used magic tricks in many of her stories and games.
She did not claim to be a magician - just did incredible things.

example: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......633462#0
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Watching Bill Bixby on the TV show "The Magician." It was 1973. He was tied upside down in a burning barn and freed himself. I remember saying "I want to be able to do that."
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I remember at about age 4, Rev. Richard Nyberg, stage name Uncle Dick, pulled a 3 foot cane out of someone’s ear. Fascinated with magic since then.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I can remember when I was around 10 years old (the 50's) a magician coming to our school. Can’t remember his name but he had a monkey with him and
he called me up onstage. He gave me and the monkey a banana to eat, we were to race and I beat the monkey. Monkey didn't get in a hurry,
so I guess he was trying to make a monkey out of me.Smile

That neat looking change bag he used still sticks out in my mind. It was a great show and well worth the quarter admission cost.

Tom
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Although I had no idea who he was at the time, I saw Jim Cellini perform in N.O. at the World's Fair in 1984.

I had recently fallen out of my childhood fascination with magic was entering my surly teenage years, but I always remembered that, and when I got serious about magic again that was a guiding force in my development as a magician.

After that, I would have to say it was probably upon viewing Eugene Burger's "Magical Voyages" DVD as an adult just getting back into magic.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
And of course, it appears that I didn't read the first post after all. The first trick I remember seeing was actually: Jumping Gems.

I'm sure there are other magic tricks I saw as a kid before that, but that's the first one I remember, and it's the first magic trick that I remember seeing for sale in a magic store (Riley's Trick Store in Chicago) and making the connection between a magic trick that I saw, and a magic trick that I could own!

I must've been 7-8 at the time.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Seeing the movie "Houdini" w/ Tony Curtis (and the magical effects and escapes seen in them) were my introduction to magic and got the ball rolling.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
erikdobell
View Profile
Regular user
Gatlinburg Tennessee
139 Posts

Profile of erikdobell
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2019, gaddy wrote:
And of course, it appears that I didn't read the first post after all. The first trick I remember seeing was actually: Jumping Gems.

I'm sure there are other magic tricks I saw as a kid before that, but that's the first one I remember, and it's the first magic trick that I remember seeing for sale in a magic store (Riley's Trick Store in Chicago) and making the connection between a magic trick that I saw, and a magic trick that I could own!

I must've been 7-8 at the time.

Magical Voyage was a big one for me too.
erikdobell
View Profile
Regular user
Gatlinburg Tennessee
139 Posts

Profile of erikdobell
These are all great and inspiring answers. Thank you for sharing! It's weird to think we're we would be if those moments didn't happen.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Two of them, both when I was 8 years old:

1. At our school's end-of-the-year carnival they hired a magician, and he chose me to come up on stage to help with an effect (a word whose meaning in magic I didn't know at the time).

2. I joined the Cub Scouts, and the father of one of the other boys in our pack put on a magic show for us each year. The son's name was Mike Falkenstein.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On May 1, 2019, S2000magician wrote:

1. At our school's end-of-the-year carnival they hired a magician, and he chose me to come up on stage to help with an effect (a word whose meaning in magic I didn't know at the time).

2. I joined the Cub Scouts, and the father of one of the other boys in our pack put on a magic show for us each year. The son's name was Mike Falkenstein.

I'm not shocked at all this would be that moment. Frances was just at magic live this past year and stole the show.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On May 1, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

I'm not shocked at all this would be that moment. Frances was just at magic live this past year and stole the show.

This was before Glenn married Francis, probably before they'd ever met.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2019, Cliffg37 wrote:
Watching Bill Bixby on the TV show "The Magician." It was 1973. He was tied upside down in a burning barn and freed himself. I remember saying "I want to be able to do that."

Christopher George had a TV movie/pilot called "Escape," where he played an escape artist who solves crimes. At one point, the bad guys leave him hanging upside down, tied up.

1971, I was 16 years old, and I was thinking; "Stupid! He's an escape artist! Don't you think he's going to get out of that?"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought so but would still have imagined he would be inspirational to watch.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On May 4, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought so but would still have imagined he would be inspirational to watch.

He was spectacular!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What is your Life Changing Moment? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL