The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic for a 12 year old (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BBM123
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
98 Posts

Profile of BBM123
Hi,
My brother is having a birthday party and wants me to do some magic, I'm not sure if it's stroll-around or an actual show. They are not at all "kids" and very mature. I have many kids effects, some I guess will work for his age, but was wondering if someone could give me a brief list of tricks I could do for them(not for stroll-around)
Thanks a lot!
Loren
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Loren,

Perhaps if you give us more info it will be easier to help you out.

What kind of magic interest you? Coins, cards? or ?

What props do you have already? Sometimes a change of patter will interest those older kids. If there are teens present at the party then perform magic as you would an adult show and treat them with respect and don't embaress them.

I know I haven't given you much to go on, but, until I (and others) have some more info I am not sure what to suggest at the moment.

Chrystal
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I've your dealing with early teens then close-up cards / coins etc is the way to go. They will not appriciate anything that can be deemed child-ish.

How old are you? are you older or younger than your brother?

I ask this because if your younger and he's 12 you could find yourself in a situation where you end up the butt of his friends hunour. I know how varied and volatile the relationship between siblings can be, I have 2 teenage girls 13 - 14 who are at each others thoats most of the time, and only co-operate and team up when they are having a dis-agreement with me and the boss. Then they make an impressive team.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
BBM123
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
98 Posts

Profile of BBM123
I am interested in coins and cards and mostly every aspect of close up, but am transitioning into stage magic.
I am 14 years old, so older.
Loren
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Good it helps to be older than your audience
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Coins are always a classic that everyone loves. But you must be skilled in that field as well, as with every field of magic.

Perform what you know you are skilled with, then modify the patter as Chrystal suggested.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Enjoy the program and learn from it.

Usually there are three programs.

One you plan
One you do
One you could have done.(looking back after your show)

Ideas to include.

1. Start with something that you are very sure of.
2. Use music that your audience would know and appreciate
3. Keep the effects simple
4. Have fun
5. Mix self working with sleight of hand
6. Keep it shorter rather than going on and on
and on and on......

If you have other talents such as skateboarding,
juggling, poi twirling..... you might include them in your program.

Enjoy.

Enjoy the journey.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
BBM123
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
98 Posts

Profile of BBM123
Hi and thanks for your responses,
I am thinking of doing either Crystal Silk Cylander or Stratosphere. Does anybody have any appropriate patter ideas for either one?
Also, what are some of the tricks you do(that aren't over $100) for kids around 12?
Thanks!
Loren
x303
View Profile
New user
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada.
74 Posts

Profile of x303
You could always do some bizarre!
Check out Peter Marucci great routines and others at http://www.online-visions.com

Remember, You'll need time to put your show together!

XBob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic for a 12 year old (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL