The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The Invisible Ball Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Hi everyone, I found the thread by Aus about finding the funny really interesting. I’m not aiming to be a comedy magician but I do like to add as much humor to my performances as I can and try and make my performances both entertaining and magically strong. So I’m really trying to better understand how to inject comedy in a routine. I didn’t want to sidetrack the discussion started by Aus so I thought I would post this separately. I’ve also already thanked Sealegs for all the advice and guidance he gave me when I asked. He even rewrote a few scripts for me and that process really helped me understand how elements of my script could be funnier and the reasons for the changes he made. To anyone trying to make their presentations more entertaining I’d strongly recommend scripting your routine and then finding someone you know who has experience in comedy writing and is prepared to offer you constructive criticism. Anyway, I’m now trying to apply some of these lessons to some older routines of mine. Here’s one I used to do many years ago. My presentation back then was “I once saw a magician do this..” and “Don’t take your eyes off the ball” That last line was said continuously. I haven’t really changed the routine but I’ve tried to develop a more engaging presentation:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvk722MInR0
I’m not suggesting this is a thigh slapper but I wanted to share my own journey and attempts with finding the funny and what I believe has helped me present routines that are a bit more entertaining. John
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Hi everyone, Lol! I rewatched this with fresh eyes and ears. Quite a bit wrong with the script. The script does suffer from a lack of clarity, my words don’t necessarily match my actions, and I’m just scratching the surface in terms of what’s wrong. A couple of people have very kindly pm’d me. And I really appreciate their honest feedback. I’m not even sure whether the premise of using my armpits and that storyline remotely works or will just put the audience off! It might literally be on the nose! What have I learnt so far?

Doing routines and using the scripting taught in dvds, books or lectures has allowed me to focus on my character and practice my delivery but in the past I’ve never really tried to understand what makes a line funny or why it seems to work or why the routine has been structured the way it is.

But trying to come up with something a bit more original is challenging and the more seriously I try and tackle the subject of comedy magic the more things I realize I’ll get wrong before I even start to get some things right! And learning from what doesn’t quite work is sometimes the best lesson! It is very OK to fail in this area and it goes with the territory.

I’ve already said it but I’ll say it again...For those who want to come up with and inject some comedy or humor into their routines but are just learning like me, I’d recommend having a go at scripting your own routines and then finding someone with real world experience who you trust, who has been clearly helpful to others, and is willing to offer you honest, constructive, helpful and practical criticism. And be prepared and open to receiving criticism! And be discerning enough to know what criticism you should and shouldn’t take into account🙂 John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The Invisible Ball Trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL