The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Fountain--thoughts and questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul G
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Paul G
Greetings All,
I've never performed the silk fountain. It seems like a great classic affect, and I am considering adding one (Laflin, P&A or General Grant version) to my routine. I've read the prior posts on silk fountains but have a few questions for those who are more familiar with the affect than I am.

First, are silk fountains equally suitable for parlour/living room venues as they are for the stage? Is there any particular silk fountain that is not suited for a parlour routine?

Does any particular silk fountain 'look' better than another or are there no real discernable visual differences among those that are available? I fully recognize that a solid presentation can make a not so well made affect look great; I am just wondering if any particular fountain 'looks better' than another. IF there are no real difference between the fountains, is it the quality of the silks that accounts for the price differences?

Based on the prior posts it seems that General Grant's fountain is the quickest set-up, by far.

Finally, for those of you who do perform the fountain, would you advise to buy one or just make your own?

Please add any other pros/cons/observations.

Many thanks for your thoughts!!

Paul
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There are 2 types of Fountains. The one that opens like a flower and the ones that just appear and fall to the floor.

Yes, there are many different types of silks, endings, and size (including number of silks and size of silks. I suggest you research each one and make up your own mind. Some like the pure silk, and some like the silk/rayon mixture silks. Some come with 6' finale silks and some come with a dove finale or candles.

You forgot to list Dick Gustafson, Slydini, and James Rainho models as well.

This trick will do well on stage or in a living room for your birthday party shows. Although I do not think kids would enjoy the effect, and may attach and take your silks home if you choose the drop to floor model.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have always used the stay together model as I always wanted to keep the stage clean.

You can make one if you have lot of old silks lying around. Silk does work better than synthetics.

I would get Rice's Encyclopedia as it has many variety of fountains in it.

As for making it, it depends how handy you are, what color scheme you want or such. I also feel that you did not need lmore than 15 silks to get the effect. More than that, it becomes a real time constraint to fold it.

Look at my website and you can see one in action with 15 silks.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I had all 3 Volumes of Rice's Silk Encyclopedia and do not remember the silk fountain being explained. I do know there is a Vol. 4 published by Hank Lee, but have not seen it yet. The late Neil Foster once told me he was expecting his version to be published in Vol. 4. but cannot verify if it every got into print.

Please site where the Fountain of Silks is in Rice's Encyclopedia, as I do not know of any published in those sets.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
I have used the fountain for parlor and stage, children and adults all with good results.
I have Duane Laflin's silk fountain DVD. It gives very good instruction on how to handle as well as make your own. You can find it at http://laflinmagic.com.

Thanks for all the great information. Silk is the best.

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2004-05-18 20:22, wmhegbli wrote:
I had all 3 Volumes of Rice's Silk Encyclopedia and do not remember the silk fountain being explained. I do know there is a Vol. 4 published by Hank Lee, but have not seen it yet. The late Neil Foster once told me he was expecting his version to be published in Vol. 4. but cannot verify if it every got into print.

Please site where the Fountain of Silks is in Rice's Encyclopedia, as I do not know of any published in those sets.

Volume 3, p. 1490, "Openers" - Fountain of Silks by Marconick. This is like the U. F. Grant version I once performed.

Also see Volume 1, pp. 158 - 162 for other silk fountain ideas.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
My version is an adaptation of Bill Brewe's fountains which is very similar to Neil's.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Paul G
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Paul G
"There are 2 types of Fountains. The one that opens like a flower and the ones that just appear and fall to the floor."

Don't think I've seen one 'that just appears and falls to the floor.' While I knew some fountains have the silks unattached, I didn't realize that the methods of opening were different. I have the DVD on order. I'm sure that will clear things up.

"Look at my website and you can see one in action with 15 silks."

Richard, it looks very nice!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Fountain--thoughts and questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL