The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Impuzzible, Clearly Impuzzible, Credit Squeeze - Martin Duffy (a Magic Portal review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
493 Posts

Profile of canaday
Two puzzles by Martin Duffy
Impuzzilble
20 Pounds (approx. $26.50)
https://www.martinduffymagicshop.com/product-page/impuzzible

Clearly Impuzzilble
30 Pounds (approx. $39.50)
https://www.martinduffymagicshop.com/product-page/impuzzible

Credit Squeeze
10 Pounds (approx. $13.00)
https://www.martinduffymagicshop.com/pro......-squeeze

The Hype:
Impuzzible -
These beautiful puzzles are laser cut here in the UK

Made from 6mm birch ply and perspex (plexiglass).

Despite adding 2 separate pieces the puzzle is returned to the same frame it was in at the beginning!

The wooden version - Impuzzible - is made in 6mm birch ply and supplied in a wooden box with perspex lid.

The perspex version - Clearly Impuzzible - is made in 6mm perspex and supplied in a perspex box with perspex lid.

Credit Squeeze
Beautifully laser cut and etched here in the UK

4 pieces of 3mm birch ply are arranged to form a 7 x 7 square containing 49 pound symbols

They are rearranged and although the rectangle is still 7 x 7 there is now a space for an extra pound to be slipped in!

My Take:
Puzzles where a simple turn will make one of the pieces vanish or appear have been popular for a long time. In the early 1900's, Sam Loyd created a puzzle called "Get Off the Earth". In Sam's words "It consisted of two concentric pieces of cardboard, fastened together so that the smaller inner one, which was circular, moved slightly backwards and forward, on a pivot, producing the mystery. As you looked at them, there were thirteen Chinamen plainly pictured. Move the inner card around a little and only twelve Chinamen remained. You couldn't tell what had become of the other Chinaman, try as you would." Politically incorrect as that is, it was a fascinating puzzle still fooling people today.

At the last Magifest, Adam Rubin gave a lecture with this puzzle at its center. He showed an ash tray that he had designed. It had a number of cigars around the outside of the tray.. With a simple turn, the cigars are counted again and one has vanished.

And now, Martin Duffy has entered the ring with his two new puzzles. I don't believe either of them is an original creation. I had seen similar puzzles to Impuzzible on Youtube. What Martin has done is to make the puzzle for you and has given you the directions on how to do them. These are beautifully made from birch ply and are lazer cut leaving no rough edges. Impuzzible also comes in a very nice wooden case with a perspex lid. The tough part of these puzzle are the actual construction. Could you make one yourself? Probably if you had the pattern but the odds are it would not look nearly as nice as Martin's work.

Impuzzible comes in both a wooden version and a plexiglass version. (Clearly Impuzzible). The plexiglass definitely looks a little more modern but I have always found well made wooden props to have a certain class that the plastic pieces don't. Since Martin have given you the choice, pick the one that appeals to you.

The only downside I could see is that to do the effect correctly requires that you memorize three different setups. The original fills the provided frame. Then the pieces are moved around showing that there is another solution to putting it together. For the third setup, It is obvious that a small piece is missing which you remove from your pocket, place into the opening and it is found that the puzzle now fills the frame completely as at the beginning. One small move is required and you are given two options to accomplish this.

Credit Squeeze is a lot easier to learn. Only four pieces are used. They fit together into a rectangle that pictures a 7 X 7 grid of pound signs. It is obvious that there are 49 of the signs. With a couple of simple moves, there are now only 48 with an opening where the last one should be. You then remove the last sign from your pocket and place it into the opening. I really like this because besides the ease of learning it, it is ideal to just carry in your pocket for when you need to befuddle someone.

I have been dealing with Martin for a while and to show his appreciation here is what he told me.

"I want to give you one for free...yes - just order any of my 3 new puzzles and enter the word Free in the Coupon Code box at checkout and I will include a free Credit Squeeze puzzle in your order."

Conclusion: I have always been a big Martin Gardner fan so this type of thing is just up my alley. It is not magic but you will still fool the pants off people (including magicians) with it. The puzzles are beautifully constructed. I would highly recommend this to any puzzle lovers out there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Impuzzible, Clearly Impuzzible, Credit Squeeze - Martin Duffy (a Magic Portal review) (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL