The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » New Area for Magic Shop Discussions (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5096 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Maybe I haven't dug deep enough, but is there a place where we can discuss brick and mortar magic shops? These stores are few and far between anymore, so keeping the current ones thriving with news and a voice is important, but also memories of shops gone by, which while emotionally rewarding, will also encourage younger generations of magicians to seek out these mysterious and often difficult to find venues. And, while I'm at it, is there even an area devoted to magic commerce in general?

I propose having a new general retail discussion area called "Shop Talk." This could have threads discussing Brick and Mortar shops then and now, as well as online magic dealers. I know we try to discourage trash talking here, which I totally agree with, but maybe we could have an area where good experiences are shared..."Revered Retail Tales" could be a possible title, where positive experiences with B&M and online shops are discussed. No one would lose here.

Also a thread for the latest deals. This is wide open for any reputable shop and online dealer to post their latest specials and deals.

My biggest wish however, is an area where photos of old and new B&M shops are shared. I am always looking online for photos and videos of magic shops and warehouses. Murphy's video is enthralling if you are a magic nerd, and Hocus Pocus offers a regular warehouse video tour which is like crack if you are a magic collector. On this thread we should make it easy for contributors to upload photos and videos of current shops and shops gone by. I have some great memories of the awesome shops we had here in Cleveland for instance, Snyders, Illusions, Yendors, and Joe Lefler's shop, which I think was The Magic Hat or something similar? And that is my point here. I want to be able to go to an easy to find magic shop thread here and ask this type of question.

Or, keeping my own in-head brainstorming session open, what about a thread for convention dealer rooms? I don't know about you, but if a big convention has passed, I go on YouTube and look for videos. The ones about the Dealer Rooms are addicting.

And speaking of addicting, and this is scraping the bottom of the barrel, but sorry, this is worth a mention. What about a thread on magic order box openings? YouTube is chock full of mostly kids opening their orders from online magic dealers, and I find them appealing. The videos make me remember ordering my first props from places like Douglas Magic Shop, and a very early Tannen's.

Or, a thread about magic creators. We have none here. And the creators of the past are legendary, yet so are the creators of today, who are embracing the wood shop, e.g. Michael Baker and many others, but also those who have looked to modern technologies, like 3D printing, and creating stunning micro-magic props like 3D Magic Works.

And I haven't even touched on online magic innovators like the now defunct The Trickery, which basically invented online magic purchasing, and the thriving Andy Martin suite of magic sites, including the largest online magic collection in the world at https://www.martinsmagic.com

I'm sure this thread will invite a lot of other ideas, but I think I have successfully argued for the addition of "Shop Talk." We have the art of magic, which in its most stripped down theory, could have little if no props involved. It would simply involve a demonstrator convincing others to open her and his minds to the notion that all is not what it seems.

But we also have this culture within our art that dabbles with props, and their creation and use. Props both large and small. Intricate and simple. Artful and cheap. Yet all potentially meaningful in someway. And they had to be created, and sold. And as buyers, there are so many stories to be told.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4964 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
We have 3 forums revolving around dealers.

What's cooking gives our sponsor dealers a chance to talk about their wares. Again, this is for sponsors who pay for the priviledge. It's not fair to them to allow non-sponsors the same opportunity.
Flavors from the past is for discussions about dealers past and present and the memories they create or have created
Soup to Nuts gives everyone a chance to discuss what they are looking for in a dealer. The discussion can't be about a specific dealer but just what members look for.

We offer several review forums where "kids" or anyone for that matter can discuss products they have just received.

We used to have a forum for the specific discussion of dealers however it quickly got out of hand with unfounded accusations which can hurt a dealer unjustifiably. The discussions soon turned to arguments about dealers with many personal attacks. It became an uncontrollable forum and for those reasons, it was removed. There are plenty of other forums throughout the Café that can be used for the areas you have described.
Where the magic begins
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5096 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Excellent! Thank you for the insights Dave. I shall check those forums out!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4782 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Flavor's from the Past is also a forum where folks talk about the magic shops and dealers of days gone by. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » New Area for Magic Shop Discussions (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL