The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ "The Watch" by Joao Miranda (78 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4017 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 12, 2019, Ustaad wrote:

Ekaterina, in here video review, mentions it is quite likely to see an update on the Turner watch by way of adding a physical remote control. IMO this is a very feasible and we might soon see such an upgrade.

Smile


A remote for the T-watch has been talked about for some time. The T boys don't seem to like to respond to user requests very well. To me it's like they almost have a "nobody is going to tell me what to do" attitude. This was true from day one when it was kindly requested by many that TURNER be removed from the watch face.

However, with the release of the new JM watch which does have a remote they may feel like now is the time to release their remote. They are supposedly building one from scratch (ala JM) and have been beta testing it for a while now, at least that is the word from the rumor mill. Once again, in typical NK fashion, a proprietary remote is NOT what users asked for. We wanted the app to work with inexpensive generic bluetooth remotes which are already plentiful on the market, similar to how Inject has done it.

But in any case, a T remote will probably come in the next few months, hopefully sooner. They also claim that there are other "Secret Features" they are ready to "unlock" soon. This is a carrot they have been dangling for months so I will believe that when I see it. Hoping I am surprised and it turns out to be phenomenal because I would love to eat my words but nothing very earth-shattering has come from them in quite a while IMO.

NK didn't seem to be phased at all by the recent Infinity watch release but hopefully with the JM watch now also cutting into their sales they will feel a bit more motivated to finally unlock any secret features and get a remote out there because they are being left behind by newer releases and are no longer the Latest and Greatest watch on the market.

We will just have to wait and see of course but I suspect that many T watch owners who are not satisfied with the current state of the watch are feeling their patience wearing thin.
EkaterinaMagic
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of EkaterinaMagic
Hi guys, thanks for linking to my review.
If I can clarify, the noise of the vibration is not an issue in most working
environments: cocktail events, table hoping, weddings, stage, parlour and street magic. In addition, when in your pocket, it's no different than your phone vibration.

If there was a revision on a V2, it would be maybe to program an option to disable this feature a little bit like with my flux unit where I didn't need the led notification, but kept the haptic touch vibration. That tiny vibration won't work on a unit that's not meant to be in contact with your skin. You don't want to keep your hand in your pocket for too long to raise suspicion. The current vibration setting allows you to feel it in your pocket, and the feedback is a reassuring confirmation that the watch can now be turned over.

The reason that I opted to perform with t-watch for close-up is that it's design raises no suspicion that it's my every day watch.
I have a very small wrist and you can see a difference when I wear The Watch, this should not be a problem for you guys Smile
For stage, I would prefer THE WATCH because bluetooth can often undergo interferences and with no confirmation that the time has been set properly, there is small risk with T watch.

You can also DM me on Instagram: @ekatmagic for questions.

Thanks
Ekaterina
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
New Zealand
798 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
SIDE NOTE I got a private message from somebody asking about noise on THE WATCH remote. To be honest I didn't realize there was a problem because I've been using it in my regular close-up gig and it's never been an issue. It's in my pocket, I feel the vibration and nobody else hears it. After reading this thread I realize many either don't own the Watch or aren't out there working it. As somebody who has been performing for over 30 years full time I think I can safely say that if this wasn't good or something I would use on a regular basis then I wouldn't make the purchase. The fact I can use this in close-up and stage is a real bonus for any investment I make when purchasing an effect. At the end of the day if you can use it and get the results you want then it's worth it.

Just my two cents from somebody who actually has performed it under a variety of working conditions .... works for me and I love it.
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://extrememagicmakeover.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4017 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 12, 2019, Paul Romhany wrote:
SIDE NOTE I got a private message from somebody asking about noise on THE WATCH remote. To be honest I didn't realize there was a problem because I've been using it in my regular close-up gig and it's never been an issue. It's in my pocket, I feel the vibration and nobody else hears it. After reading this thread I realize many either don't own the Watch or aren't out there working it. As somebody who has been performing for over 30 years full time I think I can safely say that if this wasn't good or something I would use on a regular basis then I wouldn't make the purchase. The fact I can use this in close-up and stage is a real bonus for any investment I make when purchasing an effect. At the end of the day if you can use it and get the results you want then it's worth it.

Just my two cents from somebody who actually has performed it under a variety of working conditions .... works for me and I love it.


I think it is important to make a distinction between working pros and hobbyists/enthusiasts. Most people are obviously going to state their opinion about something in regards to how a product suits their needs, but not everyone's needs are the same.

As I have stated previously, if you are a "working pro" then the noise is almost certainly not going to be an issue for you. In fact, just the opposite, it will be a benefit as Paul and Ekat have stated, and Mark at Saturn said that also on FB live recently. But if you are not "working it" you may often find yourself in quieter environments without a band or DJ and without 500 people chattering all around you.

The noise on the remote will ONLY be an issue if you are in a quiet environment, which I am quite often. Things like magnets clicking together are often the kiss of death for me whereas a thousand working pros will come on here and state that there is no way anyone will ever hear it, and they are right, when they use it no one will hear it but that is almost certainly not going to be true for everyone.

Another point worth clarifying is that the remote itself actually makes very little noise, it is the intensity of the vibration that produces the noise. I think Ekat's and Ustaad's combined suggestions of entering a code to turn the vibration off ala Flux is a wonderful idea. My guess is that will almost certainly be implemented in the 2.0 version, or perhaps even have it adjustable such as low, medium, and high settings.
kevg
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of kevg
Quote:
On May 12, 2019, patapon wrote:
Thanks EKat for the review.

So,

1. The strap supplied with JM is NOT genuine leather?

2. In order to charge the watch (every 2 weeks according to the ad), you MUST open the case?

3. I haven't seen any confirmation that the remote WILL work even though there is no direct line of sight? eg. Remote under the table sending the message through the table?

Appreciate if someone who has used the JM can feedback.

Thanks


1. I would say it's not leather, but looks good so changing it would be a personal preference only.

2. To charge you need to remove the battery.... I can do this with my fingers within 10seconds,but a tool is supplied for people who may not have fingernails. This is an advantage to me as I can do this quickly myself without the hassle and cost of having to take a trip to the Jewellers to do it for me.

3. Yes tested this through a solid Oak table numerous times and worked everytime. I also tested the distance and it was approximately 20 feet.
----------
Cube Cards // Cube Cards Remixed // Magigotchi // Cube Cards 1221 // Recubed // Pixelated
----------
www.magicwedding.co.uk
www.mindgamemagic.co.uk
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5486 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Majority of such gizmos/electronic based toys are purchased by the hobbyist and the semi-pros and not the so called seasoned pros.

Quote:
On May 12, 2019, kevg wrote:

To charge you need to remove the battery.... I can do this with my fingers within 10seconds,but a tool is supplied for people who may not have fingernails. This is an advantage to me as I can do this quickly myself without the hassle and cost of having to take a trip to the Jewellers to do it for me.


I want to mention one safety precaution. In the teaching video it shows you how to use the steel screwdriver for opening the back of the case. It also shows you how to unplug the rechargeable battery using the same screwdriver. I won't recommend using any bare metal object for unplugging the battery. A slight slip of the hand and the metal object can touch the open circuitry and thus might cause an expensive short circuit. I suggest use a plastic tool for this purpose. Many different types of plastic tool sets are available for cellphone repair.

Quote:
On May 12, 2019, videoman wrote:

They also claim that there are other "Secret Features" they are ready to "unlock" soon. This is a carrot they have been dangling for months so I will believe that when I see it.


Smile

I see no significant secret feature to unlock, except for the addition of a remote for the Turner watch.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5486 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On May 12, 2019, EkaterinaMagic wrote:

If I can clarify, the noise of the vibration is not an issue in most working environments: cocktail events, table hoping, weddings, stage, parlour and street magic. In addition, when in your pocket, it's no different than your phone vibration.


That further establishes the fact that the noise coming from the remote is quite significant and thus worthy of attention by its designer. But . . . the noisy remote is quite acceptable in a noisy environment. Smile

Quote:
On May 12, 2019, EkaterinaMagic wrote:

If there was a revision on a V2, it would be maybe to program an option to disable this feature a little bit like with my flux unit where I didn't need the led notification, but kept the haptic touch vibration. That tiny vibration won't work on a unit that's not meant to be in contact with your skin.


IMO, it should not be too difficult to rectify the noise problem emitted by the remote. For a quick solution to the problem, a simple user friendly variable resistor (with appropriate circuitry) be added so as to reduce the speed of the motor (and in turn reducing the intensity of vibration), and thus limiting the nose to an acceptable limit. Also this will help the user to adjust the intensity of vibration to one's liking.

Also a thin honeycomb type of sponge placed inside the remote box MIGHT help in dampening the sound. The remote box is so shaped that it acts like a sound-box. The honeycomb sponge might help reduce the humming effect to some extent.

Just thoughts, pure thoughts. Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
patapon
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
92 Posts

Profile of patapon
Quote:
On May 12, 2019, kevg wrote:
Quote:
On May 12, 2019, patapon wrote:
Thanks EKat for the review.

So,

1. The strap supplied with JM is NOT genuine leather?

2. In order to charge the watch (every 2 weeks according to the ad), you MUST open the case?

3. I haven't seen any confirmation that the remote WILL work even though there is no direct line of sight? eg. Remote under the table sending the message through the table?

Appreciate if someone who has used the JM can feedback.

Thanks


1. I would say it's not leather, but looks good so changing it would be a personal preference only.

2. To charge you need to remove the battery.... I can do this with my fingers within 10seconds,but a tool is supplied for people who may not have fingernails. This is an advantage to me as I can do this quickly myself without the hassle and cost of having to take a trip to the Jewellers to do it for me.

3. Yes tested this through a solid Oak table numerous times and worked everytime. I also tested the distance and it was approximately 20 feet.



Thanks very much for your feedback. Much appreciated.
LankyHobo
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
I'm curious as to how robust the watch is. Could the glass and the metal case withstand minor bumps, or would it dent easily?
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5486 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On May 13, 2019, LankyHobo wrote:

I'm curious as to how robust the watch is. Could the glass and the metal case withstand minor bumps, or would it dent easily?


IMO the watch is quite robustly built. However you can't put it under the wheel. Smile Smile

And like I said, may I please quote:-

Quote:
On May 12, 2019, Ustaad wrote:

But for the noise issue, 'The Watch' is a very nice and useful remote controlled prop.


Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
LankyHobo
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
That's great. Thank you, Ustaad.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3308 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I neither own a Turner or The Watch but I saw both up close tonight and handled them. I can only speak for the aesthetics and not the functionality but I didnít like the watch. For me the watch was too plain for its thickness and too light. Now I donít have a problem with thickness as my main watch is a Breitling Super Avenger which is a beast. However The Watch weighs absolutely nothing and that just felt wrong to me although the SA weighs about as much as a house brick so being used to that may colour my opinion. The Turner on the other hand looks and feels like a nice wristwatch. Maybe not high end but not a cheapo.

My honest opinion was that I would never wear a watch like The Watch in the real world and the fact that I have never felt a watch as light as this was very off putting too. The Turner on the other hand felt more like a ďrealĒ watch to me. I am a bit of a watch geek though. As I said this is purely based on look and feel and nothing else. I have no idea which performs best etc.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Loyal user
Portugal
284 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Quote:
On May 13, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I neither own a Turner or The Watch but I saw both up close tonight and handled them. I can only speak for the aesthetics and not the functionality but I didnít like the watch. For me the watch was too plain for its thickness and too light. Now I donít have a problem with thickness as my main watch is a Breitling Super Avenger which is a beast. However The Watch weighs absolutely nothing and that just felt wrong to me although the SA weighs about as much as a house brick so being used to that may colour my opinion. The Turner on the other hand looks and feels like a nice wristwatch. Maybe not high end but not a cheapo.

My honest opinion was that I would never wear a watch like The Watch in the real world and the fact that I have never felt a watch as light as this was very off putting too. The Turner on the other hand felt more like a ďrealĒ watch to me. I am a bit of a watch geek though. As I said this is purely based on look and feel and nothing else. I have no idea which performs best etc.

Mark


The Turner has a battery inside, The Watch doesnít because the user must place it.

That makes the weight difference.

That is actually mentioned in the review of Mark Traversoni that you can check online.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3308 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
My dislike for the weight wasnít in comparison with the Turner but watches in general. I have never felt a watch as light as The Watch. Now most of the watches I handle are mechanical rather than battery so 99% of the watches Iím comparing this to donít have a battery. When I saw the watch up close the lack of weight really shocked me. I am used to a stainless steel case on a watch. This didnít have the weight of stainless steel. It felt by weight as if the case was made with very thin aluminium or similar and that lack of weight really surprised me.

Now this is personal taste the watch looked well made etc but as a watch geek it just didnít look or feel like a real watch to me and some of that is down to the height of the case with no weight.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Loyal user
Portugal
284 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Quote:
On May 13, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
My dislike for the weight wasnít in comparison with the Turner but watches in general. I have never felt a watch as light as The Watch. Now most of the watches I handle are mechanical rather than battery so 99% of the watches Iím comparing this to donít have a battery. When I saw the watch up close the lack of weight really shocked me. I am used to a stainless steel case on a watch. This didnít have the weight of stainless steel. It felt by weight as if the case was made with very thin aluminium or similar and that lack of weight really surprised me.

Now this is personal taste the watch looked well made etc but as a watch geek it just didnít look or feel like a real watch to me and some of that is down to the height of the case with no weight.

Mark


It actually is made from stainless steel Smile

But because it is not mechanical like you mentioned and without the battery, that is why it felt lighter to you because the watch comes with the battery inside the package.

I performed the trick countless times and never had any spectator have any suspicion about the watch weight or itís look.
patapon
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
92 Posts

Profile of patapon
Ha2, sorry but I just don't think it is "the final answer to the classic watch prediction effect".

It's a great marketing line, but one thing I have learned about great marketing lines is that it sets higher expectations, and it gets compared under a microscope.

So, I am sure that JM watch is a marvellous kit, but when it claims to be "the final answer", then I'm afraid people will start pointing out "little things" like:
1. It does not come with genuine leather straps.
2. It does not look or feel like a real watch.
3. The remote is noisier and/or bigger than many potential buyers (who are not working pros) would like.
4. You have to open the case with a tool and charge the battery every 2+ weeks.
5. etc, etc.

Moral of the story... If one insists on using superlatives in one's marketing lines, be sure that you live up to it in every LITTLE way ;-)

Notwithstanding, keep up the good work and hope all the "watch makers" continue to innovate and push the boundaries.
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1561 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
Should be getting my watch on Wed ... VERY EXCITED ABOUT THIS CREATION !!!!
Going to be putting directly into my routine.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10337 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On May 13, 2019, Joao Miranda wrote:
Quote:
On May 13, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
My dislike for the weight wasnít in comparison with the Turner but watches in general. I have never felt a watch as light as The Watch. Now most of the watches I handle are mechanical rather than battery so 99% of the watches Iím comparing this to donít have a battery. When I saw the watch up close the lack of weight really shocked me. I am used to a stainless steel case on a watch. This didnít have the weight of stainless steel. It felt by weight as if the case was made with very thin aluminium or similar and that lack of weight really surprised me.

Now this is personal taste the watch looked well made etc but as a watch geek it just didnít look or feel like a real watch to me and some of that is down to the height of the case with no weight.

Mark


It actually is made from stainless steel Smile

But because it is not mechanical like you mentioned and without the battery, that is why it felt lighter to you because the watch comes with the battery inside the package.

I performed the trick countless times and never had any spectator have any suspicion about the watch weight or itís look.


So Joao you are saying the BATTERY of the watch is what would have added extra weight? Batteries hardly weigh anything. Iím confused??
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4017 Posts

Profile of videoman
I never even thought twice about the weight of the watch. Is it light for itís size? I dunno, I'm not a watch geek so I will take Markís word for it. Personally, I donít see it as an issue.

I think itís good practice to try as best you can to avoid performing this effect for watch geeks (typically males) as they tend to be to fascinated with the watch itself and notice small details that others wouldnít, and may ask too many questions about the watch. It would be like using replica Morgan coins when performing to a numismatist, best not to. So itís wise to look for tell tale signs and try and determine if they are into watches. You canít always tell but if I suspected they may be then I would do something else.
Jbond207
View Profile
New user
Mount Vernon, IN
24 Posts

Profile of Jbond207
Just got my T-Watch and I love it. However if I had known that this was coming out I might have waited...but probably not. Smile

I am a sucker for watches though and might have to get this one also. However I am concerned about the sound. I usually perform in small settings that donít even require me to use a mic. I am worried that this would be noticed. It seems to me that both watches might have their place. The Watch for stage, outdoors, and large venues and T-Watch for smaller settings like small parlor shows, etc. I wish both develop the best!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ "The Watch" by Joao Miranda (78 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL