The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "The Watch" by Joao Miranda (80 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
kevg
View Profile
Regular user
UK
118 Posts

Profile of kevg
I performed The Watch to my other half in the kitchen last night - I was just testing it so asked her to state any time, she didn't hear any buzzing (I did as I expected too) she only responded with "is it voice activated"! To be honest I think a big deal has been made out of the vibration sound - to me it gives me 100% assurance that when someone looks at the watch the time will be correct. If anyone is really that worried and you perform this in a library you could just say "sorry I just got a text message" or whatever... IMO it would fly by.
----------
Cube Cards // Cube Cards Remixed // Magigotchi // Cube Cards 1221 // Recubed // Pixelated
----------
www.magicwedding.co.uk
www.mindgamemagic.co.uk
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5525 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On May 14, 2019, kevg wrote:

I performed The Watch to my other half in the kitchen last night - I was just testing it so asked her to state any time, she didn't hear any buzzing . . .

Probably the kitchen tap was running at full blast. Smile

Quote:

If anyone is really that worried and you perform this in a library you could just say "sorry I just got a text message" or whatever... IMO it would fly by.

Yes, PROBABLY it would fly by.

However I am glad you agree that the remote does buzz and buzzes quite loud. Right?

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
kevg
View Profile
Regular user
UK
118 Posts

Profile of kevg
I can only comment from ACTUALLY performing it.

Thank you please.

Quote:
On May 14, 2019, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:

I performed The Watch to my other half in the kitchen last night - I was just testing it so asked her to state any time, she didn't hear any buzzing . . .

Quote:

If anyone is really that worried and you perform this in a library you could just say "sorry I just got a text message" or whatever... IMO it would fly by.

However I am glad you agree that the remote does buzz and buzzes quite loud. Right?

Smile
----------
Cube Cards // Cube Cards Remixed // Magigotchi // Cube Cards 1221 // Recubed // Pixelated
----------
www.magicwedding.co.uk
www.mindgamemagic.co.uk
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1716 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Quote:

Thank you please.

Quote:
On May 14, 2019, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Smile

Thanks for actual comment from ACTUAL performer with real world reviews. This has 10000 times more importance than any others.
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review website, new reviews coming every week ! http://lesavisdalexis.wix.com/reviews
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1451 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
I just received "The Watch" by Joao Miranda a few days ago, and I would like to pass on some opinions, thoughts and suggestions.

First off, I am not going to compare "The Watch" to the Turner watch or any other similar product. I don't own a T-Watch and I think it is disingenuous for anyone to make comparisons unless they own all the products they are comparing. I've seen a number of comments on this thread with statements like "I don't own ______, but ... " You should have stopped after "I don't own."

Second, some of my following comments contain my opinions, which in no way reflects on the opinions of others in this thread.

"The Watch" does most of what it proclaims it can do. I really don't care if the strap is real leather, that doesn't make the watch work any better. I don't care if it appears a little thicker than other watches. If your spectators has enough time to examine the watch with a fine-tooth-comb, then your presentation is flawed.

It's a watch, and presented correctly, proper audience management and a routine that makes the watch incidental (except at the reveal, see my routine at the end of this review), there should be nothing to worry about.

Packaging is top-notch. It's like opening an Apple product, class all the way. Inside the package is the watch, the transmitter (remote), a small lithium battery for inside the watch (with two wire leads and a connector at the end), USB cable (micro C connector), a tool (to open back of watch and to help in popping off the battery connector), a magnet and a quick start guide.

The remote and watch battery must be charged first. The small lithium battery with the wire leads is plugged into the remote, the micro C USB cable is also plug into the remote and the other end of the USB cable is plugged into a 5 volt power supply (your computer, an Apple charger or any of those little chargers that come with so many electronic products nowadays).

There are two blinking green lights on the remote, one near the lithium battery port and one near the USB cable.

When both green lights stop blinking, the remote and the watch battery is charged.

Now you have to install the small lithium battery in the watch. If you don't feel comfortable poking around micro-electronic circuit boards and dealing with on-circuit-board connectors, this step may be touchy.

You pop the back of the watch off with the tool and then plug the connector (at the end of the two wire leads) of the lithium battery. It can only go in one direction, so it it seems like it doesn't want to seat in the on-circuit-board connector, then turn it over. You need to be gentle with the small lithium battery. Never disconnect the battery by tugging on the two wire leads.

Place the back on the watch, and turn the watch on with the small magnet supplied (see Joao's video instructions).

Now turn on the remote by using the small slide switch on the remote.

The blue light on the front of the remote, next to the keypad, should glow steady, solid blue. The watch and remote are now connected.

Keypad operation is as you have seen in a number of videos and reviews, so I won't go into any detail about that. The keypad works fine.

Noise. I have no problem with the level of the vibration. I was preforming this holding it in my hand (my preferred place to hide it, in my hand). I hold ProMystic receivers in my hand, the same with Sixth Sense, over the last 24 hours, the eight times I have tested this out on spectators, no one showed the least bit of indication that they heard a buzz.

Just to see if I could reduce the noise (and give you a good tip on how to do it), I opened the remote and placed a piece of black foam against the back of the circuit board. Not really much difference. The vibrating micro-motor is actually set against the back of the keypad, and it's the front of the plastic case that is amplifying the sound. You cannot remove the circuit board (not easily) to place the foam piece on the other side.

And I would not recommend you open the case of the remote. The remote's battery is mounted on the removable back of the remote, and the two wire leads go to a connector on the circuit board. If you are not careful, and you pop the back off, you may pull the wires, breaking them.

I've had my hands in electronics long enough to know how to be careful, but I wouldn't recommend you try it unless you are very confident that you won't damage anything.

And in the routine I have worked out (see below), my spectator is busy doing something else when I am inputting the hour and minute. It's a matter of routine and audience management. And of course, I am talking when I am inputting the time.

So now my opinion.

It's great and Joao has given the magic community a wonderful prop.

I don't mind having to remove the watch battery every few weeks. It's a prop, I don't even consider this a watch. You have to maintain props, charging the battery is just part of the preparation.

The noise doesn't bother me at all. That may be because I'm use to working with vibrating indicators (as mentioned above), and I always use them in my hand. I don't like anything strapped to my wrist, tucked away in a pocket (or sock), I like to have these types of items in my hand, where I can be sure of what I am doing, or what I am feeling.

I like the dedicated remote. Labco switched from dedicated remotes to using cell phones, and I wouldn't purchase a Labco product right now. It may be that in the past, earlier effects I've owned that hooked up to phones were dodgy. I just don't trust a phone. I don't like the size of a phone. And as had been mentioned a number of times on this thread, if the operating system is updated by the phone manufacturer, there is no guarantee that the app will continue to work.

A dedicated remote or receiver will always work, technically forever (unless something fries the electronics).

Here's a little tip for transporting/storage of your "The Watch" kit. Go to a flea market or thrift store and buy an older-style hard-shell eyeglass case. It would never be my intent to wear this everywhere just to be ready to amaze someone. It's too expensive to take the chance of breaking it during everyday wear. If I'm going to use it in a show, then it will go on my wrist during show preparation. The eyeglass case is the perfect for carrying the kit.

I give "The Watch" five out of five stars (whatever that means), I love it.

Idea for a routine. I'm just going to outline this.

"The Time of Their Life"

(You could probably work this with something other than a Labco Mind Buster Pocket, but that's what I use. And I have the early model with the dedicated receiver).

Show the watch and mime setting the time, then set the watch face down on something. "I need to set an alarm, I have an appointment in 30 minutes"

Hand them the Mind Buster pad and pen.

Ask them to think of a place where they were having "the time of their life."

Then have them think of what time, that any, what time was it when they were having a good time. If they have trouble with that request, ask time to think of any time of that day, the hour and minute.

Ask them to write that time down on the pad. (They write the time first, not the place).

Now ask them to write the name of the place they were thinking of.

While they are doing this, you input the time that you got on your Mind Buster screen.

You're done with the time, and they were busy writing a place down on the pad. If that isn't enough audience management to cover up any fear that they will hear the vibration, maybe try card magic.

Ask the spectator to tear off the paper from the Mind Buster pad, fold it, put it in his pocket and put the pad down (don't take the pad back from him, you don't need it).

Jazz up a bit revealing his place, like a cold reading. You should be able to get an idea of what he was doing at that place.

Then reveal that you knew the time and set it on the watch.

There, the bare bones, but I'm sure you get the idea. Anyway, typos and spelling errors are copyright Al Desmond and remain my sole intellectual property.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
2779 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
A fantastic informative review Al , thank you for taking the trouble to write so in depth about everything regarding the watch .
Loved the routine too and the title of it , really excellent stuff Gaz 🙂
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1040 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
I second that, Al. Thank You So Very Much!

..."Maybe you should try card magic." Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2142 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I third that! A most helpful, thoughtful and thorough review. Much appreciated.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17951 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1451 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On May 14, 2019, IAIN wrote:
There was this too..
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/blog/the-watch-q-and-a

I'm glad you liked my review/opinion/routine.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3671 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Al, that is an excellent review (yours Smile ), wonderful thoughts and a marvellous routine, thank you.

And:

Quote:
On May 14, 2019, Al Desmond wrote:
I like the dedicated remote. Labco switched from dedicated remotes to using cell phones, and I wouldn't purchase a Labco product right now. It may be that in the past, earlier effects I've owned that hooked up to phones were dodgy. I just don't trust a phone. I don't like the size of a phone. And as had been mentioned a number of times on this thread, if the operating system is updated by the phone manufacturer, there is no guarantee that the app will continue to work.

A dedicated remote or receiver will always work, technically forever (unless something fries the electronics)...

I could have written that, exactly my thoughts, exactly what I am doing and using (obviously as I own it). Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
815 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Got mine today. No real world issue with the buzz. I hear it, they don't. Would like it quieter and that probably can be done by Joao. I'm a Murphy's dealer and I? will be recommending this as a 10 out of 10 to my regular customers.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4077 Posts

Profile of videoman
Great thoughts and routine Al, thanks for sharing. I’ve tried for ages to get my hands on one of the earlier Labco pocket pads but no luck yet, but I remain the eternal optimist.

Wanted to update on my experience with The Watch. If you read my previous post you may recall that my watch was not working out of the box. Joao reached out to me on his own initiative and asked me to send him a video so he could better understand my problem. After watching the video he determined the problem to be a faulty part and immediately sent me a replacement. This was shipped on Monday and tracking has it arriving Wednesday even though it had to travel from Portugal to Southern California, quite a distance!

It’s also worth pointing out that I did not purchase this directly from Joao but from a US dealer. Yet Joao did not pass the buck and stood behind his product. I had not had any dealings with Joao prior to this so I was not sure what to expect but reading great reviews of his customer service gave me confidence and Joao definitely did not let me down. People tend to post a lot of negative experiences on forums like this so I wanted to give a shout out for a very positive experience and give Joao my public thanks and let folks know that he really does stand behind his products.
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
815 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Videoman you are ALWAYS a most reliable and deeply thoughtful contributor. I am so glad you are on these boards!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4077 Posts

Profile of videoman
Thanks StarManager, and I should clarify that when I say that Joao sent me a replacement, I do not mean just a replacement part for the faulty part, but a TOTAL replacement of the ENTIRE kit. Again, above and beyond customer service!!!
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
815 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Electronically speaking Joao is providing the Craft with incredible and out-of-the-box solutions at affordable pricing for what the items are. Any encouragement the community can give him is good for Magic as a whole. I am really burning by people chiming in about volume levels and esoterica about products they have not even touched. I get the magnet clicking statement made above but when I'm in a setting where that is a consideration, I don't do such an effect. No WAY someone who presents this right is going to hear pocket beeps or know what they are if they hear them from this particular device, IMHO. If they do the performer, not Joao, is to blame. There. I said it! I'll sit back and get flamed now . . .
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1114 Posts

Profile of paperinick
I wish we could have the best of both products. Joao's support and the flexibility of the other product approach.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5525 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:

I performed The Watch to my other half in the kitchen last night - . . .

Quote:

Quote:
On May 14, 2019, Alex DLF wrote:

Thanks for actual comment from ACTUAL performer with real world reviews.

WOW Smile By ACTUALLY performing for one's other half in the kitchen, one becomes an ACTUAL performer with real world reviews, . . . that's GREAT. I'm learning . . . & continue to learn . . . Smile

Smile
P.S. BTW, my friend who had received his watch just two days ago, has a problem. The time set through remote don't show the set time on the watch. He has tried all within his means but in vain. The watch is going back straight from where it came.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
815 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Ustaad you KNOW I am a huge fan of yours. What has you against this product so much. Usually you are the huge supporter of creative items. Curious as I really have learned from you and respect your opinion. Personally I LOVE this product. We are usually in synch.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5525 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On May 14, 2019, StarManager wrote:

Ustaad you KNOW I am a huge fan of yours. What has you against this product so much. Usually you are the huge supporter of creative items. Curious as I really have learned from you and respect your opinion. Personally I LOVE this product. We are usually in synch.

@ StarManager: Thank you so much for the kind words and I appreciate your feelings for me.

Basically if you look at all my posts on this thread, you will notice that I have nothing against 'The Watch' or its creator. From the very beginning I have been talking about just one and only one point - The noise factor. Whenever I speak or bring in the noise factor issue, there are members from the semi-pros to the seasoned pros who jump on to justify the noise factor. And when I counter their unjust claim with due logic and reasoning, a fresh batch pops in . . . and thus the cycle continues and the issue goes into a never-ending loop. This is not good IMO. We all must take criticism in the right spirit and work towards finding a solution to rectify the issue/fault rather than forcefully try to suppress the issue. You very well know that I have always tried to be straightforward, just and honest when giving my opinion. You may like to please draw my attention as to where I have gone off track or changed my stance from the basic noise issue. Before giving my opinion, I have played/tested/studied the watch and then & only then I gave my opinion. Mine is just an opinion, if one likes it they take it. If not, just forget and we move on.

We all know that the Latest-n-Greatest section of the Café is a place for speculations and opinions. Well, I won't like to go more into this issue, rather I would like to kindly draw your attention to a few excerpt from my posts on this thread that will prove I have nothing against the newly released prop or its creator:

Quote:
On May 10, 2019, Ustaad wrote:

Hi João,

I have no doubt in your products, creativity and customer support. And that's the reason I have always said all good things about you & your products on this very forum. And you very well know that. Smile

Quote:
On May 12, 2019, Ustaad wrote:

But for the noise issue, 'The Watch' is a very nice and useful remote controlled prop.

You will agree with me that:-

Quote:
On May 12, 2019, Ustaad wrote:

Majority of such gizmos/electronic based toys are purchased by the hobbyist and the semi-pros and not the so called seasoned pros.

Hope that clarifies, at least to some extent. Smile

Thank you.

With utmost regard & respect,

Narendra

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "The Watch" by Joao Miranda (80 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL