The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Kennedy Magic - Tractor Beam (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2467 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I think it looks good
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
936 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Why does everyone think it is an ITR? I disagree. Just sayin.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3819 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On May 17, 2019, tdaube wrote:
The main effect seems to be the card sliding out from the spread. I assume the magician is finding the spectator's chosen card. In this case you could not really have a spectator pointing the laser beam.


The effect is that the laser beam animates an object. The haunted deck/card thing is only one of the things you can do with the product but not the only thing. Majority of those things shown in the demo, there’s no reason why you can do this with a separate laser pointer that the spectator can handle. The reason you can’t with Tractor Beam is because the laser pointer here is also literally the method (electronic ITR).

Something hidden in plain sight like let’s say the Quantum Bender, it works because the moment is invisible and making the method a plain sight object is so that there’s no reason for someone to focus on the object. The issue I have here is that the thing you are going out of your way to make sure they are focusing on is also the source of the method. If they were to be able to handle the thing, then you cancel that out as a method, but obviously they are not allowed to handle it so for a portion of the audience, they are going to be led to suspecting it as being the method.
John Kennedy
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of John Kennedy
Hi, it's John Kennedy here. I'd like to pick the brains of the Café community for some Tractor Beam ideas. I already beat my head against the wall for months and have come up with some effects, but I'd like to go outside the box and get some fresh new ideas from this vibrant community. Hence I propose a contest of sorts where Café members offer their ideas and the winner will receive a free Tractor Beam unit shipped to their doorstep!

If I can get let's say 6 or more effect ideas then I would choose my favorite and reward with a free unit. I also may or may not want to include the idea (with credit) in my ad and also in the instructions. It's a little tricky because I haven't revealed the method, but I think many of you are capable of connecting the dots. What I'm looking for is a basic effect, either magic or mentalism. So all you need to do is post an effect idea. Include the word "contest" in the post so I know you are a contestant.

Keep in mind that the magician must be holding the unit. It cannot be controlled by a spectator. If they were to hold the unit it would only operate as a pointer and would not animate the object.

The contest ends a week from today on Sunday May 26. I will announce the winner here on the Café on the 27th and ship out the unit that day.

If there's not much interest and I don't get 6 or more responses then oh well. That said, any one compelling and workable idea and I'll be happy to honor and reward!

John
amazingvijay
View Profile
Regular user
N. California Bay Area
169 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
Contest:
I just saw this thread. The device looks really cool.

In terms off new ideas, not sure if this is new but I think we can use for a living and dead test - ask people to write names of living persons and one dead person. Drop the billets into a wine glass - shake them up. Now make the dead person billet move and jump out of the glass.

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
John Kennedy
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of John Kennedy
Quote:
On May 19, 2019, amazingvijay wrote:
Contest:
I just saw this thread. The device looks really cool.

In terms off new ideas, not sure if this is new but I think we can use for a living and dead test - ask people to write names of living persons and one dead person. Drop the billets into a wine glass - shake them up. Now make the dead person billet move and jump out of the glass.

Vijay

Or Vijay it could be a "dead or living" test. The billet that moves is the one that is alive!
Maxy
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of Maxy
Just a crazy idea came to my mind:
Use the laser to move the object little.Then point with the laser to your thumb,your thumb will glow using dlite (you are pinching the thumb and the pointing finger together now) , gesture with your pinched fingers to the object and it will move more. Point the laser again to your thumb to stop the dlite effect. It will look like you stole the laser and its power in your thumb.
John Kennedy
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of John Kennedy
Quote:
On May 19, 2019, Maxy wrote:
Just a crazy idea came to my mind:
Use the laser to move the object little.Then point with the laser to your thumb,your thumb will glow using dlite (you are pinching the thumb and the pointing finger together now) , gesture with your pinched fingers to the object and it will move more. Point the laser again to your thumb to stop the dlite effect. It will look like you stole the laser and its power in your thumb.

That is totally wild Maxy!
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3819 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On May 19, 2019, John Kennedy wrote:
Hi, it's John Kennedy here. I'd like to pick the brains of the Café community for some Tractor Beam ideas. I already beat my head against the wall for months and have come up with some effects, but I'd like to go outside the box and get some fresh new ideas from this vibrant community. Hence I propose a contest of sorts where Café members offer their ideas and the winner will receive a free Tractor Beam unit shipped to their doorstep!

If I can get let's say 6 or more effect ideas then I would choose my favorite and reward with a free unit. I also may or may not want to include the idea (with credit) in my ad and also in the instructions. It's a little tricky because I haven't revealed the method, but I think many of you are capable of connecting the dots. What I'm looking for is a basic effect, either magic or mentalism. So all you need to do is post an effect idea. Include the word "contest" in the post so I know you are a contestant.

Keep in mind that the magician must be holding the unit. It cannot be controlled by a spectator. If they were to hold the unit it would only operate as a pointer and would not animate the object.

The contest ends a week from today on Sunday May 26. I will announce the winner here on the Café on the 27th and ship out the unit that day.

If there's not much interest and I don't get 6 or more responses then oh well. That said, any one compelling and workable idea and I'll be happy to honor and reward!

John


I'm actually incredibly impressed at your up front nature in describing the product (how it can not be controlled by a spectator). Even though this product is not for me (I have several of your other releases though which I've loved), I honestly do respect and am impressed by your honesty here.
amazingvijay
View Profile
Regular user
N. California Bay Area
169 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
>>Or Vijay it could be a "dead or living" test. The billet that moves is the one that is alive!

Or let them all draw pictures, only one of the pictures is about a ghost. You can draw this yourself or ask someone to by giving them each a category. The device is used to move just one of the billets. Wonder why? Because it is a ghost pic!!

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
RMV
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of RMV
Probably not practical, but if the pointer was in the shape of a small light saber, you could use the force to move an object.
Armando Cheung
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
20 Posts

Profile of Armando Cheung
Since the justification of holding a laser pointer is needed , I try to think of the effects in this direction.

1) Performer use the red laser to produce a small red ball/sponge ball. Then without enough laser, the ball is no longer here.
Everything is done in a clean way(no p***) maybe it could be a multiple red balls sequence.
What I try to offer is not only an effect/premise, but also combine one of the Gaetan Bloom’s concepts(hope you guys understand what technique I am referring to)
Furthermore, maybe It can be used as an interesting approach cup and ball routine(like doing Copin famous routine with Laser premise)

2) The red laser is presented as a latest technology of finding the truth. Place five objects on the table.Then ask a spectator to slightly touch one when performer turns his head.
Performer use the laser to point to each object. One object falls down(or jump), and of course this is the selection.

Apart from joining the contest, it is interesting for me to brainstorm ideas.
hope you guys like it
paranormal
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of paranormal
Contest

The name tractor beam could be used as a presentation for maybe moving a model spaceship.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2984 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Contest

Point the laser at a bill lying flat on your palm. The bill curls over on itself, like a piece of plastic when put in the oven. Turn off the beam and display the bill, folded in half. Turn the beam back on and the bill moves again, folding itself twice more until it’s a small packet. Turn the beam off. Hold the folded bill at fingertips. Point the laser steadily at the center of the packet. After a few beats (and maybe a whisp of smoke), the bill bursts into flames (haunted flash bill, TT igniter, etc.). If you feel you must, find the restored bill in the amazing location of your choice.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
funnyclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Burlingame, CA
344 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
Contest

The Ghost Trap

An invisible ghost is on the table. It’s captured by a white silk handkerchief. The laser pointer is introduced as a way the capture the ghost. A ghost trap box is set on the table. The laser moves the silk covered ghost into the trap.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
funnyclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Burlingame, CA
344 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
Contest

Laser Kitty

A balloon animal kitty cat is placed on the table. The laser is beamed onto the table. The balloon kitty follows the laser movement.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Hi John Kennedy I sent you a PM.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
CONTEST:
For the most part, a laser pointer is used in presentations, pitches etc. So, in my opinion, the effect should be used in this context to be truly organic. With that in mind, the performer has an easel stand + pad on stage with some facts and figures (or adapt to a larger notepad someone can hold if needed to be done more close up).

The performer talks about how before they became afull time magician/mentalist, they were a corporate stiff. Often having to present financials, etc to the CEO of the company. And either:

1) Say something about how they would get so fixated on the numbers/financials, their mind powers/energy would activate....so when waving the pointer at one of the numbers on on the easel pad, the number disappears and a burn mark appears in its place.

or

2) Same as #1 but done more as a gag. Like they didn't know the pointer would do that.

or

3) They say that when they would have to present losses, they could use the power of their mind to make it a little easier to stomach....performer waves the pointer at a figure noting $300000...waves over the last 0 and makes it $30000 instead

Not sure if practical/feasible with the device or if the prep needed to the pad would be convincing enough..but we're brainstorming right!?
Maxy
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of Maxy
I think the idea of the beam is very clever because it will misdirect the audience from seeing the IT so you will not care much about the IT visibility, it is very good misdirection built-in!
Here is another idea:
You have a blue back cards
The spectator selects a card while you turn your back
The card returned to the deck and the cards spread face up
The laser will cause the selected card to move out of the rest of the deck and turn it to red back card (or has burn sign on its back)
Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Jack
I just did every illusion on the demo for about .5 of a cent. How is it a 'tractor' beam when it's repelling objects? It should be called 'Pellor Beam'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Kennedy Magic - Tractor Beam (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL