The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Study about people who constantly point out grammatical errors (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Utter nonsense obviously.
It is our education system's failure to correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling in all subjects, that have partially led to the downgrade of the literacy of our society.
Spelling, grammar, and punctuation is as important in geometry, physics, biology etc. As it is in an English class.
Communication is the basis of our learning from those who came before us. It must be accurate.
When taking measurements, a millimeter off doesn't seem important, but over a hundred meters, the builder has strayed far off his original layout.
Same with English. It must be cherished, protected, mastered, enjoyed, loved.
We are its caretakers for future generations.
It is our duty, and a huge, important responsibility.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YUP!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Gnaw, grandma jest dint smatter 2day.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think it depends on the purpose. If the purpose is to impart technical information then it better be accurate and rational. If the purpose is to appeal to the imagination then it better be utter nonsense.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
It's all about not making people feel bad these days...
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 8, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
It's all about not making people feel bad these days...

Correct. And that is a race to the bottom.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I see nothing wrong with it in the right setting when you know the person you are correcting. Or maybe in an article that is speaking in general.

Still, I thought the article had some truth to it. Those who correct others just to belittle them, or to say hey look I’m smarter than you, are indeed jerks in my opinion.

Tom
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 8, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
I see nothing wrong with it in the right setting when you know the person you are correcting. Or maybe in an article that is speaking in general.

Still, I thought the article had some truth to it. Those who correct others just to belittle them, or to say hey look I’m smarter than you, are indeed jerks in my opinion.

Tom

That is completely different. You are correct. Jerks are gonna be jerks however they can.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I wouldn’t ever correct anybody, but when I’m sitting next to people using the word “like” three times in every sentence, I am SOOOOO tempted to bet them $10 they couldn’t speak for two minutes without using “like”.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Some of us who do magic are nice people. Some of us who do magic are nasty people.
Some who fix cars are nice and helpful, some who fix cars are mean and miserable.
Some who correct others are nice and friendly with honourable intentions. Some who correct people are obnoxious jerks.
No study required.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I strongly encourage young people to use proper punctuation at all times, whether leaving a note or when texting- it can be the difference between life or death.

Example 1.

My son left this note:
"Mom gone to store be back soon". Notice the omission of a simple comma.
Now, in an emergency scenario like the power plant exploding, in my attempt to gather my family and head north, I would have no clue who was at the store based on this simple note.
If the note read, "Mom, gone to store. Be back soon." I know that the boy is at the store. If it read, "Mom gone to store, be back soon." Then I know that his mom is at the store. Granted they are not well formed written sentences, but the comma is paramount and allows me to formulate my apocalyptic survival plan.

Example 2.

A vertical maintenance ladder at the plant where I work had this sign:

"Do not use tie off points due for inspection"

Now, if it read, "Do not use. Tie off points due for inspection", my men know they cannot use the ladder and can remain compliant with safety.

If it read, "Do not use tie off points. Due for inspection", then the men know that they are not prohibited from using the ladder, but mustn't use the tie off points for fall protection at the top.

In the nuclear industry, safety compliance means the difference between life or death, or employment or unemployment, and consequently, marriage or divorce.

So we can ridicule those who seem like nitpickers all we want. But those who can speak, write, address a crowd, communicate with precision, will always rise to the top in every field of endeavour.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I love cooking, my wife, and my dogs.

Comes out rather different without the commas.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It’s tough at the top. We typically rely on skilled editors (or technical writers) to make our thoughts understood.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes, it is funny how words get maltreated over time “isn’t it”?

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
But those who can speak, write, address a crowd, communicate with precision, will always rise to the top in every field of endeavour.

Simply to be mildly antagonistic - this is obviously not true. At least not in the US. Many people who are not remotely eloquent are in top positions of power, and many who are eloquent and precise are bottom rung employees.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 9, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
Quote:
But those who can speak, write, address a crowd, communicate with precision, will always rise to the top in every field of endeavour.

Simply to be mildly antagonistic - this is obviously not true. At least not in the US. Many people who are not remotely eloquent are in top positions of power, and many who are eloquent and precise are bottom rung employees.

You are missing the point. I didn't say every one with good English skills will succeed and those who don't , won't.
And I sincerely hope you arent referring to politicians who rely on a popular vote.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Study about people who constantly point out grammatical errors (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL