The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Runic by Jimmy strange (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Yes it is.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
Very old method . I have to agree the video is bit misleading.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
I've never been satisfied with things from Jimmy Strange or his cohort, Mirrah Miraculous.

I'll never buy one of their products again.

They're not straight up with their product statements (but then again, who here is when they're selling the latest and greatest?).

But you'd all better contact your favorite dealer and reserve yours now!

Don't forget, Banachek just can't wait to play with it!

And when he's done playing with it, he'll throw it out.

PS- If you want to see some fantastic magic, watch Mirrah perform in this 37 second video, and that will show you what to expect from them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7_5-cX1xZo
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
^ Agreed. Bought two of his recent offerings and have not been satisfied. Very scrappy gimmicks/method that, quite honestly, aren't very clever. And most importantly, are not practical.

Was hopeful for this one but now not so much.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Even Dominic has been strangely silent on this one.
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
964 Posts

Profile of markhitton
Quote:
On May 13, 2019, RNK wrote:
Received mine today. First, a lot of the trailer is misleading because you have to get within 1 foot to make it roll. The part in the trailer where he is seated well over a foot from the pen and it rolls is not possible! What is upsetting is that I purchased this because of that part and the parts where it looks like no hand is by the pen. It does work but only after your within 1 foot of the pen. Shame...

this was my fear. another piece near captive lost in my desk.
this works as I thought. in my opinion just another ripoff already seen innthe past under different shape
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
964 Posts

Profile of markhitton
Quote:
On May 13, 2019, walking_liberty wrote:
Quote:
On May 13, 2019, RNK wrote:
Received mine today. First, a lot of the trailer is misleading because you have to get within 1 foot to make it roll. The part in the trailer where he is seated well over a foot from the pen and it rolls is not possible! What is upsetting is that I purchased this because of that part and the parts where it looks like no hand is by the pen. It does work but only after your within 1 foot of the pen. Shame...

So is this just another Sharpie with something inside that moves when something on your wrist comes near it? I thought this was advertised as something new. I'd assume that the bit at the table used the piece you wear on the ankle instead?

nothing new and innovative under the sun here....
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Thanks for your reviews! Glad I waited a few days before purchasing it. Well I guess I will continue using my PK pen, and hope to find a TK Fail Safe pen somewhere
Arielhamui
View Profile
New user
Buenos Aires, Argentina
61 Posts

Profile of Arielhamui
I received mine today... totally disappointed with the method
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Quote:
On May 13, 2019, Jack Straw wrote:
I've never been satisfied with things from Jimmy Strange or his cohort, Mirrah Miraculous.

(Blah blah blah blah blah)

PS- If you want to see some fantastic magic, watch Mirrah perform in this 37 second video, and that will show you what to expect from them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7_5-cX1xZo

Ha, ha ha ha ha!

That video was removed less than 10 hours after I posted that comment.

That should tell you all something!

Just so you know, the reason that I showed you a video from Mirrah is because Jimmy and Mirrah are joined at the hip.

I'm not sure what their relationship is, although I do believe that they are quite the item, but they definitely work together producing their lousy magic products.

Man, you guys really should have seen that video of Mirrah bending a coin as she stares at the camera while one hand is never, ever seen (gee, I wonder why?) and both hands are totally hidden from view while the actual signed coin was bent.

So she showed you a signed coin, put it below camera range, does a little something, then brings the signed and bent coin back into view.

Brilliant!

I would have been embarrassed to release that video.

She could have easily just switched in another signed coin since you never see anything (which I'm sure she didn't), but since this needs some misdirection there was no way to make a good video of this effect.

And it was actually one of the British magic shops (Dominic from Merchant of Magic, I believe, pushing Jimmy's "Strongman" metal bending trick) that thought so much of it to put it on You Tube.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
RNK,

THank you for your much valued review.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On May 14, 2019, magicinsight wrote:
RNK,

THank you for your much valued review.

Michael

Most welcome Michael!
Mirrah Mirrahculous
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Mirrah Mirrahculous
Hi guys, this will be my only message to this thread... so I apologize in advance for not answering any messages that may follow.

The video was the very first video I've ever been filmed in, of course not knowing what a 'lovely' place the magic Café can be.

It was done in my pure naivety, shortly after I joined the magic society, back in the time when I was still thinking that all magicians are friends, and they are all the loveliest and most intelligent people, sharing love for what I thought at the time was the most amazing art in the world.

The one and only reason my hands are under the view of the camera, is because otherwise the gimmick would have been exposed in full view. Which wouldn't have been the right thing.
I completely agree with you, Jack... due to the need for misdirection, there wasn't a good way to show my hands.

And if this wasn't the best magic video ever made.... ok, I accept it... but hey.... at least I've tried and started from somewhere. The sad truth is we only get better whilst doing things, not whilst not doing them.
Even most famous actors admit that they hate watching their early films. There is nothing new under the sun here.

But I honestly can't believe that someone can keep such self-destructive and negative feelings for such a long time, especially in regards to something of such little significance.

If you think I am rubbish at videos, that's fine, Jack, just swallow it my friend...
if I had choice, I would have waited to become perfect before my life path crossed with yours.

I tend to think I am a good person... who always tries to be helpful to anyone.
I tend to think that this is way more important than if I have made the best quality 37 second video in my life.

As for the method of Runic... if you guys already have a different method (or gimmick) of performing a rolling sharpie, you should absolutely use your owned method.... let Runic be for those who haven't got an alternative.

The method of Runic is super clean, there is nothing to be seen on the sharpie, the sharpie is fully examinable and is a working sharpie.

It is absolutely possible to perform from distance. There is nothing untruthful or falsified in the demo.

It is an honest presentation of what this gimmick can do. And the gimmick does it.

The performance technique required to perform is super easy, reliable. The skill level required is next to none.

Even though complicated methods can inspire extensive philosophical discussions (which is great), but a simple method can often provide bullet proof solutions.

As for the spectators - either way, all they will ever see is a rolling marker.
And if a rolling marker is what you want to show to your spectator - use Runic - it's simple, it's easy, it delivers.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
As an owner of Runic, not sure how Mirrah can say that this can be performed from a distance greater than 1 ft away when Jimmy Strange on the instructional video specifically states that you have to get within 1 ft of the Sharpie to make it roll? Maybe I am missing something? Yes, you can place the gimmick needed to make the roll happen on your foot so depending on how long your legs are and if you are seated when performing this, you could technically make it happen. Though, the gimmick needed to make it roll will definitely not fit in your shoe with your foot inside the shoe and for me, openly placing the gimmick outside your shoe would not only be difficult, it would be a hassle and have to be removed before you get up to walk away or else it will possibly be exposed when you get up and walk away. Just wouldn't be practical.

Mirrah is correct in that the gimmick does do the job. Though, in a lot of the trailer video, you are not seeing that the hands HAVE to be within 1 ft of this to make it work. So, IMO, this is not an honest presentation or representation of the effect. Not to mention, I would not consider the gimmick you need to have on you "small". It's much bigger than similar effects that use this method.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I'm glad I ordered mine from magicshop.co.uk because of their returns policy...

Mine is coming tomorrow and it'll be going right back.

Mainly because this is a very old technique used in many other pk devices...

I already have a pk sharpie using this same method.. From Leech onwards, who provided gimmicks and a pk bl#ck to activate it...

This'll be the last Strange product I'll be buying, that's for sure...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Also, how close is it to this?
https://www.propdog.co.uk/wizard-pk-sharpie
I've asked to be banned
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On May 14, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Also, how close is it to this?
https://www.propdog.co.uk/wizard-pk-sharpie

Exact same thing except it comes with the m@#$%$t and wrist ban to hold it. Its a pretty big m#$%^&t so you might not have to get as close to the pen as you would with the PK Ring.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On May 14, 2019, IAIN wrote:
I'm glad I ordered mine from magicshop.co.uk because of their returns policy...

Mine is coming tomorrow and it'll be going right back.

Mainly because this is a very old technique used in many other pk devices...

I already have a pk sharpie using this same method.. From Leech onwards, who provided gimmicks and a pk bl#ck to activate it...

This'll be the last Strange product I'll be buying, that's for sure...

Me as well! Also, I will stay away from any of Mirrah's products. For Mirrah to come on here and post that the effect was honestly represented as seen in the trailer when you clearly cannot see the hands in a lot of the trailer when the roll occurs is BS.
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
964 Posts

Profile of markhitton
Not only an old idea well disguised but eith a bulky magnet too.
Smile
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
964 Posts

Profile of markhitton
From the desk to the basket with no magnet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Runic by Jimmy strange (31 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL