The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Cleanest way to reverse the bottom card of a deck? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

swayne100
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of swayne100
What's your favorite move or method to secretly turn over the bottom card without any noticeable moves or movement?
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2901 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
What's the context? If it's just to have any old reversed card there, my personal preference would be to start with one reversed second from the bottom, casually flash outwards, start a milk shuffle, weave the halves together bringing the new reversed card to the bottom, and continue from there. I'm going to assume that this might not fit your context, though, and that I've just been as useful as braille on the buttons of a drive-through ATM.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5925 Posts

Profile of magicfish
If you're talking about reversing the bottom card without any cutting or shuffling or turnover sequences, I like the Christ Twist.
swayne100
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of swayne100
The context is a selection is controlled to the bottom and then needs to be secretly reversed.

I've been playing with the Christ Twist (Larry Jennings explanation), but I'm having trouble understanding the handling and making it invisible.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2901 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Is it an open or secret control? Meaning, do you have to secretly get it to the bottom, or can you shuffle it there?
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Zauberman
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Couple of very easy ways:
1) Have the card you wished turned over on the top of the face down deck. Turn the whole deck over so it is face up. Use your first finger to break the bottom card away and free. Now turn the whole deck except the bottom card face down. You now have the bottom card reversed.
2) Simply drop the hand holding the deck to your side. Push one card off a bit against your leg and revolve the deck with the one card against your leg turning over. This is not totally invisible but if you're talking and turn slightly, no one will see this. I do this to reverse the top card for my ambitious routine. It is simple and works.
3) Little more complicated but straight-forward is to break he bottom card away with your first finger, put you middle and ring fingers in the gap, have your first finger and pinky on the bottom of the single and by extending the fingers while holding onto the deck above with the other hand.....the card turns over. You may hear the card talk a bit if not careful.

Hope that helps (and not confuses) a bit Smile
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1027 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On May 10, 2019, swayne100 wrote:
The context is a selection is controlled to the bottom and then needs to be secretly reversed.

But what's the larger context of the trick? What happens? What's the effect?

Start there, then work backwards to the ideal method.
st3v13
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of st3v13
IMO The leg turnover is super effective. With good misdirection, it should go over any spectators head.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
824 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
If you want the card to end up reversed in the middle of the deck, I recommend Marlo's Future Reverse.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1060 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Ken Krenzel Automatic Reversal
Lakewood, Ohio
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5925 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 10, 2019, st3v13 wrote:
IMO The leg turnover is super effective. With good misdirection, it should go over any spectators head.

Good old Jean Hugard.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2780 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Magicfish's recommendation of the "Christ Twist" is the most direct path to reversing the bottom card. It's a "half pass" of a single card with an all around square up action that covers the move. Very efficient. The original post added "with no noticeable moves or movement." With eye contact i.e. misdirection, you can softly reverse the card as in a half pass without it being noticed. The Christ Twist can be used when the deck is being burned.

Mike
Melephin
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Melephin
Jerry Andrus has also published a great way to reverse the bottom card. Check out his version of "triumph".
Kevin Janise
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Kevin Janise
If in the context of your trick you can do an overhand shuffle you could do a half pass of the bottom card on the first upswing of the shuffle. The upswing will pretty much flip the card over and the first small packet taken off provides the cover. It covers the pass nicely and the shuffle does not look like anything fishy. It is movement without being a "move".

Kevin
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
707 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Just to help people reading this, many of the reversals mentioned here are in Card College volumes 2 and 4.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5925 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I like the description of the Christ Twist in The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings by Maxwell.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2710 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Turnover half pass.

Catch a pinky break over the bottom card, then just turn the rest of the deck over on top of it (maybe under the guise of spreading the cards). Very good angles, super easy.
Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Cleanest way to reverse the bottom card of a deck? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL