The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin magic...for kids!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Hi,

I have been considering this point for a long time, and would like to see what responce it gets from you...Does coin magic work for children?...I think that the problem with most coin routines is that they are generally lacking in interest. Well this used to be my view a couple of years ago, now it has changed and I am a big fan of magic with coins. People say that one of the things that makes people enjoy magic with coins, is the added emotional hook, that the coins are worth something...MONEY! But this has no effect on children of a very young age, they do not yet understand the idea behind money etc.

But maybe I am wrong here, I am not claiming to be a child psychologist (i've only not been a child for about a couple of years), so it is difficult for me to show a difinitive opinion.

Maybe coin magic can actually be fascinating for kids, those who are at the age of wanting every thing in the world, and having loads and loads of money (i estimate this is between 7 and 10) should surely love coin magic...Shouldn't they?

I am more interested in younger people. Although not a Kids Entertainer in general, I would like to be able to adopt the magic I do for adults into magic performable at kids shows, as a lot of the stuff I do uses coins, it would be good if I could use this performance medium...But how?

A magician I know, has an interesting idea. He does not use this for kids, he uses it for adults, but I think with children it would be brilliant.

He has made a set of £3 coins (I am in England, and these do not excist in modern and old currency)! These have been made out of metal washers covered in card board and coloured really bright vibrant colours. So know we have the added point that even if the child does not understand the meaning of money, atleast there is some bright yellow and green thing jumping from hand to hand...Surely this makes for more interesting watching than seeing the same with a dull copper coin (childs thought)?

This brings me onto a more magic-related question...What sort of coin magic do you do for kids. I personally think that a Misers Dream routine can't be beaten for children...I have heard that when you see the Flosso routine, he has so much fun with the child on stage and there is a lot of interaction.

But in a close-up situation what can you do? Three Fly? Matrix? Copper Silver?

I would like to hear any views,
Owen
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
200 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Hi Owen,

Miser's dream and coins to goblet have worked well for me. Having said that, I will occasionally perform a sequence like Extroydinary from Troy Hoosier and get a great response from kids as well. As long as the magical moments are not too hurried...kids will get it, and want to see more.

Cheers,
Brian
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Owen, about a year after the David Roth lecture in NYC, I had occasion to try the stuff at a party. I also did the stuff for the children. From the Winged Silver to the Chop-Chop Cup routine... it all works just fine. Good, clean looking magic usually speaks for itself.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Kids LOVE coin Magic. They love money, first of all, and to see you creating it out of no where, it fascinates them.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Making coins appear and vanish entertains all ages. Miser's dream always plays well!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I've found that kids seem to like the coin boxes. Something about the old and strange look of the boxes, and the extreme close up nature of the effects seems to really peak their interests and keep their attention focused.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I've found that kids like coins appearing, disappearing, penetrating, and growing or shrinking. They are not particularly keen on coins across, since they don't see the point. They think the Karate coin is hilarious, as is the coin from nose or eating a coin. They like Mickey Silver routines. They think Kainoa's "Orifice travelers" is cool.

For them, thematic consistancy is not a consideration. They will not complain when only three of four coins get hung in the air.

David Williamson's "Money talks" is a good kid routine.

Big coins get 'em. They will fall for the "bending coin gag" big time. Coins bending in their hands are good. Try the "Lynn Pennies".

The best kid coin magic I have ever seen was Jeff McBride's Miser's Dream. No surprise. Close second, Jody Baron's version with three kids. Never saw Flosso.

The best coin idea for kids that I haven't seen done was in an old magic magazine. The author suggested passing out small containers of soap bubbles to the audience. They are invited to blow bubbles, and as you catch them, they turn into coins. Talk about a fun audience participation Miser's Dream. By repackaging this in champagne glasses, this will also play for adults at New Years' parties.

Good luck with it. Never produce a coin off a kid that you can't stand to lose. Chocolate coins are a good out.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
200 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
I was lucky enough to see Jeff McBride perform his Miser's up here at the Canadian Assoc. of Magician's convention. I second Curtis's comment, it was fantastic. Check it out if you can.

B.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I perform only one coin effect that works particularly well for very young kids. Coins appear, vanish, and change size multiple times (a regular size coin shrinks, grows to large size, and then grows to larger size).

At the bottom line, I believe it plays well for kids because it's very visual and it requires them only to "experience," not "think."

The effect was marketed in the 70's using a ridiculous-looking prop, a Penny Paddle. The effect is unknown to many magicians today, and that's a shame because it plays so strongly, not only for kids but for adults as well.

Larry D.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Another one that fits into this category is David Roth's "Flurry." The coin jumps around and then turns into a big coin. Very visual and easy to follow, with a surprise at the end.
lonewolf
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of lonewolf
Coin to key anyone? My experiences with flurry on kids is that they tend to be very grabby. They'll be all over you looking for the vanished coin in no time... just be prepared for that.

Coin to key is a killer. Like what Jonathan said, good magic speaks for itself.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
I think even young kids have a basic grasp on money, albeit they are ot yet reading the Financial Times. ;-D My boss' kid is usually hyperactive and a spot of coin magic tends to at least keep her captivated for a few minutes.

I think I'd have to second Curtis on the chocolate coin idea.

Starbucks in the UK has some perfect-sized coins which they give out, not whilst doing magic by the way...they are just a good size!!
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Quote:
Coin to key is a killer.

Yeah, I'll second that. By the way, good play on words. Killer Key by Sankey is just about the nicest coin to key gimmick I've seen, and it would play very nicely for the youngins. Add a couple buttons and a second key and nickel to the Killer Key props, and you would have a very nice little "do as I do", bit, ending, of course, with the little darling holding a button instead of a nickel. Smile That takes away the "kids take coins" factor. If he or she scurries away with the button... who cares?

Best,
Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Have a look at Mickey Silver's video.
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
387 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
Where I can find his video?
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
My own kids (four- and eight-year-olds) love it when the coins disappear then appear behind their elbow, or sneezed out of their nose. They like it when I do coins across and the last coin appears in their hand. They even like it when I do my coin production and place the coins in their hand.

They like to be part of the magic more than anything. They don't seem to go for the more magician-centric routines like matrix and chink-a chink that don't require a spectator. They ask for the coin magic and sponge ball magic more than any other routines that I do.
Magic is fun!!!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I have been sharing coin magic with kids of all ages for many years. I usually add other things like the coin that changes into an ear or other object.

Another fun thing to add are mouth and sound generator's noises. (Mine has cartoonish sounds from waah waah to boing boing.)

I got my two came from my harmonica teacher, and a garage sale. The third came from an EBAY seller in England.

Love the bubble idea. A few years ago I used the catch a bubble. Thanks for the food for thought.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Interesting to see such a positive response. I was expecting that you would say that coin magic was not good for kids. Thanks guys.

owen
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I always use my five-year-old nephew to practice new kids' magic routines and used a TT with him this past weekend during a wedding. I did the two dimes and a nickel to a quarter with him and he loved it! I had him count the coins to involve him then he had to do the magic wave over my fist, and the quarter came out.

He took the quarter home in a large Zip-lock bag. You have to protect those magic coins. Smile
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I think that one of the possible reasons that I thought that coin magic would not be appreciated by children is that I never liked coin magic until recently. (Wow that's a big confession to make on a coin forum...Please don't burn me as a witch.) I never used to find it at all appealing and was just bored by the concept.

Since starting the post I have tried some of my coin routines on kids, and sure enough they enjoyed it. Especially the production of my 5" coin at the end...

owen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin magic...for kids!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL