The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Roller Shades (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
728 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I'm working on a small illusion and I need a couple of small roller shades. I also need to have them black.
First what is the best source for roller shades?
Second would you suggest cutting back the shade material and sewing black felt in its place to have the blackout I need?
Any advice is helpful.
Thanks.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2886 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
728 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Yes, too much to choose from which is why I'm asking for what works the best.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21638 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Roller shade traditionally were made from roller shades purchased at any store that sells them. You have to just take one end off and cut to the length you need, and put the metal end back on the shortened rod.

One end only controls the mechanism the other end you can safely remove and shorten from that end.

My advice stop looking at the Internet, and physically go shopping in stores. Then check the Internet for a solution that will work for your needs.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dan Ford
View Profile
Veteran user
Illinois
396 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Do not use felt on a roller bling as felt is not a woven material as it is made up of pressed fibers. It will eventually fall apart.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
728 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Dan would you suggest velvet or a similar material? Also has anyone used the black-out shades available in the home improvement stores?
My application requires something to block light to help with the illusion.
Hopefully some illusion builders out there will give up a few secrets.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Dan Ford
View Profile
Veteran user
Illinois
396 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Velvet would crush the pile of the material on a roller (pile is the fuzz on velvet) and that would not be good. Velveteen would be better.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21638 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 14, 2019, 61magic wrote:
Dan would you suggest velvet or a similar material? Also has anyone used the black-out shades available in the home improvement stores?
My application requires something to block light to help with the illusion.
Hopefully some illusion builders out there will give up a few secrets.

Traditionally, roller blind gizmo is used for inside a box or cage. It has nothing to do with blocking light, as it is dark inside once covered. Now you are wanting to use a method of deception for a method you thought of. We cannot help you as it sounds like you do not know if you are taking the correct path or method for your intended purpose.

Nothing wrong with that, but trial and error, so some call it research, will give you your answers.

61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
728 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Bill, what I am building is an Abbott's Frame of Life and Death. Nothing I thought of, Abbott's plans don't provide much information for materials so I thought I would reach out to Café members who are familiar
with building illusions.
Someone with illusion building knowledge may have used roller shades and have suggestions on brand and/or type with a suggested resource to purchase them.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Dan Ford
View Profile
Veteran user
Illinois
396 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
When I made my Frame of Life and Death years ago, I used velour for the rollers.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
728 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Dan, did you sew the velour to an existing roller shade either at the end or over the top of the existing material?

Joe
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Dan Ford
View Profile
Veteran user
Illinois
396 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Took off the blind paper or plastic and put on the velour with staples. Velveteen will work also for these type of blinds.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2165 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Make sure and get "Single Notch" rollers or you'll have to take apart and disable the locking mechanism which can be a real pain. For most fabrics, you'll need to overlock the edge rather than hem them due to the fabric building up thickness at the edge which will be a big problem.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Dan Ford
View Profile
Veteran user
Illinois
396 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Good tip Ray!
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
728 Posts

Profile of 61magic
You bet! This is the information I was looking for.

Thanks to you all.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7346 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If you can find wooden rollers, go with them. You can disable the ratchet lock by carefully hitting it with a prick punch. For the fabric, Use a broadcloth with a extra wrap around the roller.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On May 12, 2019, Dan Ford wrote:
Do not use felt on a roller bling as felt is not a woven material as it is made up of pressed fibers. It will eventually fall apart.

Dan is right go with non woven material ( you can get it at the hardware store as weed blocker cloth). Also I like the Mayfair tear roller shades sold at WalMart they are cheap and easy to make the right size (no cutting). One other thing as you remove the shade from the roller (where the shade is glued to the roller mark a straight line on the roller).
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21638 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Boy, this topic really took off after I explained the lack of information. So good, the pros chimed in to solve this mystery. Thanks guys for your participation hand very helpful ideas.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Roller Shades (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL