The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Turnover using only four cards (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicwiia
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
In doing a certain trick (that shall remain nameless) I'm holding four cards and need to turnover the top two cards while making it appear I'm turning over only the top card. The initial turnover part of a double lift is difficult enough while holding a full deck. I'm struggling trying to turnover the top two cards when there are only four cards in my hand.

It seems too thin to try to establish a break and too few cards in your hand to push off with the thumb. Does anyone have a suggestion of a technique to be able to isolate then grab the top two cards so I can then turn them over?
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1094 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Brother John Hammens book teaches this well
Lakewood, Ohio
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1001 Posts

Profile of Ado
Double buckle, double pinkie pull, spread top two cards then get a break and pull back, injog 2nd card before putting the last one on top, etc. Plenty of solutions. Which one is best depends on what's happening before you need that DL...

P!
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1115 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On May 11, 2019, j100taylor wrote:
Brother John Hammens book teaches this well

Co-signed! Check the big Hamman book for the technique you're seeking.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8307 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I've taught a few methods for this throughout my writings. Start reading the good stuff, guys!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Hold the packet in dealing grip. With your left thumb, gently start a push off of the top three cards. They will brush against the left second finger.
Approach the packet with your palm down right hand. With your right second finger, perform a stud turnover of the top two cards. With the proper pressures, the third card should remain on your left second finger. Performed at the proper speed, it looks like you merely stud turnover the top card.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8307 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Two No-Get-Ready Lifts From A 4-Card Packet - ONLY MY APOCALYPSE, page 218. And I've taught other methods in other APOCALYPSE issues, and touched on the idea in the Quantum Leaps section of LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTIONM Vol. 3. Forgive the repetition, please, but - you really do have to start reading the good stuff!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Tortuga
View Profile
Veteran user
Ballwin, MO
375 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Quote:
On May 11, 2019, Ado wrote:
Double buckle, double pinkie pull, spread top two cards then get a break and pull back, injog 2nd card before putting the last one on top, etc. Plenty of solutions. Which one is best depends on what's happening before you need that DL...

P!

Great solutions. Of course a lot of it depends upon what the trick is. Why is it nameless? If there are gimmicked cards then you might not be able to turn them over or spread them completely, so some solutions are out.
I would likely go with the double buckle. Quick, easy and nothing to see. Don't exaggerate the buckle too much. No need to.
magicwiia
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
Great ideas. Sadly, Brother John Hamman's book is not readily available. I could get it from Amazon if willing to drop $179 for it. Gulp! I couldn't find any videos showing the buckle/double-buckle move but will check the Card College videos I just got to see if it is performed there.

I've carefully watched the handling of four cards by one of my favorite magicians. It would appear his left thumb applies pressure at the corner using the inside of the thumb, although I could be mistaken.

I tried doing that and noticed the cards open up on the opposite side ever so slightly allowing me to feel, then grab two cards more easily for the DL.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1115 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On May 14, 2019, magicwiia wrote:
Great ideas. Sadly, Brother John Hamman's book is not readily available. I could get it from Amazon if willing to drop $179 for it. Gulp! I couldn't find any videos showing the buckle/double-buckle move but will check the Card College videos I just got to see if it is performed there.

I've carefully watched the handling of four cards by one of my favorite magicians. It would appear his left thumb applies pressure at the corner using the inside of the thumb, although I could be mistaken.

I tried doing that and noticed the cards open up on the opposite side ever so slightly allowing me to feel, then grab two cards more easily for the DL.

What NicholasD describes above is essentially the Hamman technique. It's extremely natural in appearance and nearly automatic.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
A good trick for learning and practicing no get ready single, double and triple turnovers in quick succession is Jumping Gemini.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 14, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:

What NicholasD describes above is essentially the Hamman technique. It's extremely natural in appearance and nearly automatic.

Not quite. Nothing "opens up" in the Hamman Technique.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1115 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On May 14, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On May 14, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:

Not quite. Nothing "opens up" in the Hamman Technique.

Huh? NicholasD never mentioned anything "opening up".
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Magicwiia, if I get time I will shoot a small clip of the sleight and send it your way.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Here you are sir. PM me if you have any questions.

Https://youtu.be/Vz9zv59jbkc
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Harry Lorayne has published this technique as well.
magicwiia
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
Thanks Magicfish, I really appreciate it.
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
360 Posts

Profile of kShepher
That's very nice Magicfish. Very smooth. You sent me right back to Jawdroppers 2. I can't do it that smooth. I do the Hamman, which is very similar, but you don't really have any separation between the bottom card and the block.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 14, 2019, kShepher wrote:
That's very nice Magicfish. Very smooth. You sent me right back to Jawdroppers 2. I can't do it that smooth. I do the Hamman, which is very similar, but you don't really have any separation between the bottom card and the block.

Thankyou my friend.
I never let JawDroppers Two get too far away from me. I love that book.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
Check out Stephen Hobbs' Technical Toolbox. He has an excellent comprehensive approach to packet counts called control grip. Propriety prevents me from tipping the method here.

Magicfish--totally clean.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Turnover using only four cards (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL