The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Rack Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
982 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Any suggestions on best place to get them and what do you think makes a good rack card. Thanks
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19407 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Rack cards alone will never sell the show. They need to be part of an overall marketing plan.

You will need to give people a reason to pick them up. If they are in a rack with hundreds of others why are they picking up yours? This is the first obstacle and the most important.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Danny is spot on. When I read this post my initial thought was “never use them.” But, after thinking about it, the answer really depends on what types of gigs you do. For instance, if you do kid shows and libraries, a “rack card” would be a good idea. I put “rack cards” in quotes because I’m not thinking of the kind of cards you’re thinking of, but rather bookmarks (especially for library shows).

But, as I said earlier, Danny is correct (which I hate hahaha) - Rack cards won’t do anything to book you gigs. Sure you might get a gig here or there but you’ll spend more time getting it designed, printed, and taking time to actually visit the businesses they’ll be in than it’s worth.

My suggestion would be to revisit your marketing strategy, create a marketing calendar with tasks and activities that feed your strategy.

Josh
Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
982 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
We are thinking about putting them out for my theatre shows every Tues. and Sunday in Myrtle Beach SC. This is just a little part of the advertising. I am the only all year round Magic Show in Myrtle Beach. I thought it might help. For the month of April every Tuesday show at 6pm was sold out. Just trying to get ready for the summer. Here is one of my posters https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......&theater
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9263 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
While I agree with what has been said about rack cards as it pertains to them being part of a well-crafted marketing plan or campaign. But to address what he specifically asked for about what makes a good rack card, it depends. It is like asking what makes a good website and people start chiming in with what THEY think makes a good site, without knowing anything about your specific use or purpose of it. I have found rarely is it the same as those offering the advice are thinking other than in generalities. So starting with generalities, a good clarifying headline, contrasting colors (a popping bright or bold color white orange, gold, hot pink, etc. on a darker background), action photos, graphics that emphasize these, and of course proper placement of the items along with a call to action. Will you do one-sided or two?

Those are the generalities.

My next advice would be to create them as part of a campaign. What do you want the desired action to be? Most will think just to create awareness of the show. Depending are how they are used (another key element that matters greatly and must be considered before simply accepting generalities). Since you have already said "putting them out for my theater shows" the question of where you will be putting these. Myrtle Beach is a tourist town especially from May to Labor Day, with some fringe before and after.

Will these be placed on the typical spots in a rack with dozens of other performance, activities, and attractions, or will they be stand alones where others are not or only a few others exist?

Do you want to include an offer? Perhaps a coupon at the bottom for a free gift, or kids are free with 2 parent admissions, or kids bring this in for a free magic trick after the performance. Any of these offers/CTAs that are exclusive to your show and offer more than just basic who, what, when and when promotions.

When I headlined the Palance Theater in Myrtle Beach, since I often had 50 or 60 audience members on stage in my show, I knew my DVD sales (of each show) were always very strong following the show, so my rack cards always included a $5 off coupon off the purchase of the live show DVD. It always worked very well.

This is just one idea and example of a rack card being part of an overall campaign and it having an action and purpose. Just FYI I never included my cards in a rack with a bunch of others. I took it into my own hands and did it differently which yielded far greater returns at little or no cost (to be in those racks can be quite expensive, especially in tourist towns.)

I'm not sure about the best pricing and service as we've used many companies over the years. I do seem to remember using 48hourprinting.com before. I hope that helps.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
982 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks everyone. MIndpro I was thinking about giving a free magic wand. But, I get $5 for them at the show. I like the idea about the video also. Thanks for the help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Rack Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL