The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell Game with Potatoes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zauberman
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
I ran across this 2 years ago in Spain on holidays. The 3 Shell and Pea game played with scooped out raw potatoes.
Sorry the article is in German, but watch the vids....you get the idea.

https://www.travelbook.de/news/mallorca-......C3NE9XlQ

The whole thing amazed me on a couple points.
First, while the 3 hollowed out potatoes where siilar in size...it was pretty easy and obvious to see they were not alike.
I often thought it was necessary to have the shells in my set identical.
But from a scam point of view, I could see having them different made it so easy for the suckers to follow where the pea should be.

The pea would go under the potato with the large blemish....no matter how much he mixed them.....you just had to look for the potato with the blemish.

What do you guys think? Would having 3 shells that are a bit different work better for a magicians display?

Also if you google 'Fake Potatos', there are several sources. I'm seriously thinking of making my on set of '3 Potato and Pea Game'.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
322 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
I have a mold to make small potatoes shells somewhere, but all three are identical. Which I prefer and still like the walnut shells better myself.
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
Zauberman
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Yes, I like the Shells better also....as they certainly look nicer and more interesting than 3 potatoes. Plus most people recognize or have at least heard of the Shell game.

But what made me laugh to myself is that I have metal shells, plastic shells, real walnut shells, gold plated shells all worth a fair dollar yet here are hustlers playing the game for real....and using some dirty old potatoes. Potatoes being cheap and plentiful plus no loss if you have to split quickly and leave them behind.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I use real walnut shells and purposefully have the middle shell where the pea starts look different than the two on the outside. I point out the difference to make it obvious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell Game with Potatoes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL