The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Closer to birthday show (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magictia
View Profile
New user
switzerland
21 Posts

Profile of magictia
Hi guys, excuse my pour english, I try to find a new closer to my Birthday Show, usually I do the "Bigger wands" or "Dream bag jumbo".
I wish to find an effect :
strong impact
that can fit in my suitcase (not like the 10 wands' bag)
wind-proof possible (summer is approaching)
involving the birthday boy
Thank you so much.....
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
S. H. SHarpe said it much better, years ago, when he wrote: "...Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."

Dariel Fitzkee said it even stronger, in his "The Trick Brain", in the mid '40s: "I must insist that tricks are but tools. This eagerness to add new tools to the workshop, at the expense of learning how to use the tools we already possess, definitely results in overcrowded workshops, but unskilled artisans.

Here are my criteria for selecting tricks to use in my program which could play for almost anyone, almost anywhere. Very few tricks could meet all nine criteria, perfectly. I've had to decide how strictly I "stuck" to the 'rules". I was never "at liberty" in 50 years on the road, all over America. Here are the criteria:

VISUAL EFFECT (The EFFECT does not "happen" under cover of a tube, box or other prop. The EFFECT, is what the spectator "perceives".)

VERSATILE EFFECT (the EFFECT is suitable for all ages.)

ANGLE PROOF PROP (casual groups may be seated on three sides of the performer.)

RECOGNIZABLE PROP (no "Victorian era props, such as FOO CANS, DOVE PANS, CHANGE BAGS, etc.)

LITTLE OR NO "SET UP" (privacy often non existent)

NO TABLE NEEDED (FOR THE PROP TO 'WORK ON')

SPOT ADAPTABLE (trick could be opener, middle, or closer)

PROP PACKS SMALL AND LIGHT, (AND THE EFFECT PLAYS BIG)

WIND PROOF ("PARTY" SHOWS ARE OFTEN OUTSIDE)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It aint the trick, it's how you PRESENT IT!

Keep the whole show SIMPLE & FUN!

I close my 45 minute progran for youngsters, with the Misers Dream. It fits my criteria, but, it may NOT FIT YOUR PRESENTATION!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
220 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
I remember being a kid in Elementary school and watching magicians perform awesome school shows. The props were not RECOGNIZABLE, guillotines, linking rings, stratospheres, asian boxes and such. For me, I loved the exotic props and felt that their unusual appearance lent to the magic. Since it WASN"T something that I could buy in a store, perhaps they contained magical qualities! Today, it's all about street magic which I find boring. So there's two ways to look at it. Smile
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1812 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Check out our Birthday Finale routine:

http://www.arthurstead.com/Birthday-Finale.htm
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, Amazing Binky... You told the OP what YOU liked when YOU were a kid. How many years ago was that?

You also told him that you were/are bored by "street magic".

That IS "two ways to look at it". You told him that you liked "exotic boxes, with unusual decorations and such, which suggests that you are/were more interested in TRICKS, with highly decorated PROPS, than magic EFFECTS.

I'm a believer in Mr. Sharpe's philosophy. I have found that youngsters of "birthday party age", today, are much more entertained by EFFECTS produced by a magician who has the talent, and skill to present his show using generic props, that aren't obviously from a magic shop.

I use colorful silks, which disappear from my hands, and reappear, in a child's hands, and change color in my bare hands, clean white rope, which becomes shorter and longer in my hands, knots that visibly disappear or slide off the rope's end, silks that visibly penetrate a microphone stand, and visibly untie a knot tied in it , a few ordinary balloons that withstand a needle's penetration, golf balls that multiply in my bare hands, and penetrate a silk, visibly, ETC.

I can perform the show, nearly surrounded. I need 2-3 minutes after arriving, and leave the stage 2 minutes after my last trick. The props carry in one 13" x 20" x 8" case. --AND, I can, and have, worked streets! (Not for nothing! I get paid for my show.

I can, and have, done 4 and 5 45 minute shows a day, plus driving over a hundred miles.

I would never suggest a specific prop/trick to a person whose experience and ability, I don't know. I only suggest that he follow my criteria.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 15, 2019, magictia wrote:
Hi guys, excuse my pour english, I try to find a new closer to my Birthday Show, usually I do the "Bigger wands" or "Dream bag jumbo".
strong impact
Thank you so much.....

Hi! No apologies needed for your "English"!

I hope that my reply to your question was helpful. When someone asks me a question regarding a trick to use, that's my usual answer.

I've been performing since October 1945. I estimate that I've done 20,000 or more shows since then! I'm now retired at age 87.

The late Jay Marshall, and, I were discussing adding a new trick to the act, about 40 years ago. Here is what we "decided":

1. Learn how the trick is DONE.

2. Learn how to DO it.

3. Learn how to do it, so that it entertains an audience.

You must keep in mind that MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING!

Your PRESENTATION combined with your PERSONALITY is what makes the difference.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 16, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On May 15, 2019, magictia wrote:
strong impact
Thank you so much.....

Hi! No apologies needed for your "English"!

I hope that my reply to your question was helpful. When someone asks me a question regarding a trick to use, that's my usual answer.

I've been performing since October 1945. I estimate that I've done 20,000 or more shows since then! I'm now retired at age 87.

The late Jay Marshall, and, I were discussing adding a new trick to the act, about 40 years ago. Here is what we "decided":

1. Learn how the trick is DONE.

2. Learn how to DO it.

3. Learn how to do it, so that it ENTERTAINS an audience.

You must keep in mind that MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING!

Your PRESENTATION combined with your PERSONALITY is what makes the difference.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of noland
My before last routine in my birthday shows is a high energy, fast-paced Rocky Racoon routine, running 4-5 minutes, with lots of really funny stuff that gets lots of laughter. I follow this with a quick (about 30 seconds) closer--I show an empty hat and magically produce a 36 inch foulard from the hat with the words "Happy Birthday" on it. I have all the kids shout "happy birthday," then ask the birthday child to come up and pose with me, with the foulard stretched between us, for a picture. The end. The Rocky routine is a very strong routine that gets the kids pumped up. The foulard routine gets them quiet and refocuses on the birthday kid, finishing the show on an "ahhh" moment.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
GOOD THINKING Noland!!

It's so SIMPLE (and FUN!!!!!)

Plus, it focuses attention on the birthday child!

--and, it's only one silk to "load"!
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1812 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
End of all my shows: Birthday or Corporate I throw a Streamer and turn a feather into a cane.

Great Streamers are available from China @ a reasonable price. Am I allowed to mention China(?)

The more expensive the show the bigger the streamer at the end.

It's definitely a wow. And on a windy day, you can tell which way the wind is blowing.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
689 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
For my higher priced shows our finale is a Harbin Chair suspension. For lesser fee shows we do Peanut Butter and Jelly. The bread (Wonder bread) appears from a drawer box..
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 20, 2019, misterillusion wrote:
For my higher priced shows our finale is a Harbin Chair suspension. For lesser fee shows we do Peanut Butter and Jelly. The bread (Wonder bread) appears from a drawer box..

Egad! How much does your 'illusion show' weigh? (LOL) --and, how big is your "crew"? (hee hee)

I think that a tip over trunk is much more illusive than a drawer box!
magictia
View Profile
New user
switzerland
21 Posts

Profile of magictia
Thank you so much for all your advice and answer.
I perform Miser dream(thank you Dick Oslund it's mY favorite) and Puppet routine (thank you Noland) during the show (no for closer but I love them)
these week I was in a magic convention for kid (TRIX & STIX) in UK and during a lecture of "Baster Balloon" I've find "the GOLD" (obviously it's a personal opinion)
It' s a routine done all with some balloon and a Marksman https://practical-magic.com/collections/......marksman :
During which you ask the children who wants to become a Superhero,
and practically make them take the test and the final exam.
Fun and practical.
The funny thing (at least for me) is that unfortunately at Blaster Balloon the suitcase did not arrive at the airport and he improvised his lecture with objects lent by the magical shops ...
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3617 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I've been closing for the past year with the 20th century silks. I tell the story of the three pigs, with the baby pig being chased by the big bad wolf. The mom and dad run away, tie their tails together, and hide in a crystal cave (plastic wine glass that the birthday boy/girl can hold). The baby pig vanishes and is found safe with his mom and dad. Give it a try - I get a lot of comments about the routine.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I first wish happy birthday to the birthday child, cue my upbeat copyright free music then close with a sponge ball routine with the birthday child. I don't talk, I mime my actions. And the multiple balls is the finale. People clap, I clap. Pack pretty small too.

My advice is find a simple trick that you like that has a nice impact and use it as your closer. Incorporate the birthday kid and you will have a winner. Keep in mind that the kid is the star of the show, you are just the entertainment. The parents want to see their child smile. When they see their child happy they are happy. That's why I end with sponge balls. The end impact is always a winner. You could have a terrible show, but you aren't going to foul up sponge balls. But what about windy days? Ah, sponge rabbit, the bigger one, has more weight and doesn't fall on the floor. Good luck, keep them laughing.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3278 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Just get a rabbit, perfect ending and you can stuff the rabbit in your case at the shows ending. Smile
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
978 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Or better yet, just give it to the birthday child as a special gift. No need to take it back home then. Smile Smile Smile Smile
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
724 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I have a duck pan I use. I have the birthday person come up to help with the last trick of the show. Goofy things happen to both of us, The lid falls off the shaker of salt when I use it. I don't have any baking flour, so the birthday kid tears up a real flower....stuff like that. I put the lid on..yes at outdoor shows I do use a little flash paper...Anyway the lid is on a spring stool so I make it jump in the air and catch it. Then once the lid is on I have everyone yell "Happy Birthday" at the count of 3. The Birthday kid removes the lid, if it's a girl it's a large stuffed animal, a boy it's full of Hot Wheels they get to keep.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1578 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Why not do an effect like cardiographic or magic party picture where the child is involved and they get a give away at the end.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2115 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Make a rabbit appear, and you're home-free.

But if you don't want to use live animals, I've often closed with the linking rings. It just really seems to be an effective closer somehow. But usually for BDP's I close with Ridiculous-Ravioli using the surprise pringles snake-can finale, and after all the scrambling, chasing, and laughter, I wonder aloud if theres anything left in the can, and pull out a large "THE END" silk.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Closer to birthday show (17 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL