The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Early Grant's Temple Screen (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Special user
946 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I recently picked up a very early Grant Temple Screen...the colors are absolutely vibrant. Here is a brief video demonstrating this and a few other cool props: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOQxMk8x1VQ

Chuck Caputo
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8035 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Interesting...I guess I've sold a few screens when I worked behind the counter, but, I was never impressed by the decoration. (I must admit that I was never impressed by the "method", either.) I had made, as a teenager, a screen production prop from directions in an early "TOPS" magazine, that was much more deceptive.

Gen Grant was "known" for his use of a "half coat of paint!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Special user
946 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I have used the Grant Temple Screen for over forty years, it goes over very well with lay audiences. We would like to hear about and see your invention which is much better.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8035 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
If your audiences like it, DO IT!

De gustibus non est disputandum! (That's Latin. It translates: Concerning tastes, we cannot argue!)

The production screen that I mentioned was NOT my invention. TOPS magazine published a book(let) about 1945 or '46. IMO, it was more deceptive. I made it from corrugated cardboard, and used it successfully, in my shows, as a young teenager. My audiences liked it.

With experience performing, I realized that cans, pans, tubes, red velvet bags on a stick, and SCREENS, were merely PROPS. After studying TARBELL, et al, I began using digital skills with mostly generic props (rope, silks, cards, balls, balloons, etc.

My prop "box", while in the Navy was a cigar box sized shaving kit. I made enough money doing club dates to make it possible to buy a late model used car, rent a place in town, and eat in restaurants instead of the mess hall. For 3 1/2 years, I never cashed a Navy pay check. I banked that money.

A few years later, I turned to full time professional performing, I was never at liberty for 50 years.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Early Grant's Temple Screen (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL