The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help Identifying this John Carey Control (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Presarian
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Presarian
Hello all,

I need helo in identifying this control: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxCSPzcHF4Z/

It is about 5 second into the video where he controls the 10 of Diamonds.

Patrick told me it is something he learnt from one of John Carey DVDs but cannot remember which. Since John put out so many DVDs can anyone point me to the specific DVD and trick with this?

Appreciate it.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
625 Posts

Profile of AsL
If nobody chimes in, you may want to look into the inspirations and credits for various similar controls. The Shinobi Control and a few others immediately come to mind.

I'm sure somebody will chime in soon tho...
Presarian
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Presarian
Quote:
On May 20, 2019, AsL wrote:
If nobody chimes in, you may want to look into the inspirations and credits for various similar controls. The Shinobi Control and a few others immediately come to mind.

I'm sure somebody will chime in soon tho...

Hello ASL,

Thanks for that and yes indeed, you are absolutely right in saying that it is worthwhile in looking to other similar controls to that I posted and you posted.

I will take a look at the shinobi control and on top of that, will wait for other people who might be familiar with this type of control to chime in Smile
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1029 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
While similar in appearance, the Carey control is unrelated to the Shinobi Control and other "Light-Reft" style techniques.

Presarian, you can find an explanation of the control here:
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......ction-1/
AsL
View Profile
Special user
625 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On May 20, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
While similar in appearance, the Carey control is unrelated to the Shinobi Control and other "Light-Reft" style techniques.

First and foremost, thanks for answering the OPs question! I searched with little luck.

In response to the lack of relation, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not particularly well-studied on Carey's material (tho his routining and ingenuity is top notch). However, I've been performing a VERY similar control as Carey's for quite a few years and I don't quite see how no relation can exist between the inspirations for these moves. If no relations exist - they should. Sure, the "left/right" tempo and focus is more-so an "up/down" tempo due to a quick addition and optical subtletly. But does that really constitute no relation for the inspirations of each move? I'm not so sure.

I've probably already said too much. But if not, I'm genuinely curious to learn the reasoning for your statement. Although they both have their merits, I'm certainly more fond of Carey's handling.

(Shoot me a message if you can't elaborate without getting too close to exposure - something I've probably already accidentally did).

AsL
Presarian
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Presarian
Quote:
On May 20, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:

Thank you so much! appreciate the help Smile!
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1029 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Some clarification: AsL is correct, this is actually NOT the control from Piggy In the Middle -- they're identical in appearance but differ in a small but significant way. Sorry to steer you wrong!

I would recommend reaching out to John himself. He's a pleasant fellow, and if it is something he's published, he'll let you know.
Presarian
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Presarian
Ah bummer. Seems like it but since you said it is not, maybe someone else can chime in. Im certain its carey's move but not sure what is the exact source
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5933 Posts

Profile of magicfish
"Sorry to steer you wrong!"

We're getting used to it.
Top tier stuff bud.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1029 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On May 21, 2019, magicfish wrote:
"Sorry to steer you wrong!"

We're getting used to it.
Top tier stuff bud.

I pointed them to Carey himself. Seems like the best course of action in this case, but your mileage may vary.
Presarian
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Presarian
Still looking for someone knowledgeable able to let me know the source Smile!
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1029 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
If you're positive it's John's, then this is probably the most knowledgable source:
johncareymagic@gmail.com
dendrake
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of dendrake
Mr Kun does "Spread Double" (Face-up variation)
Carey teaches a spread double (but facedown) on his DVD "Handle with Carey"
Presarian
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Presarian
Quote:
On May 24, 2019, dendrake wrote:
Mr Kun does "Spread Double" (Face-up variation)
Carey teaches a spread double (but facedown) on his DVD "Handle with Carey"

YES! THat is the source! Thank you so much! FInally Smile_!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help Identifying this John Carey Control (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL