The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » How important is it to have identical shells? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
I'm thinking of making my own shells out of real walnuts. But, of course, each shell will of necessity be different from the rest.

Will this be a problem? How important is it to have absolutely identical shells?
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Some feel that having identical shells (or bottle caps, match boxes, or ??) adds an extra layer of deception.
Unless you're hustling an actual short con, IMO it makes no difference if the shells are different for entertainment purposes.

Any set made from "real" walnuts is obviously going to have different shells, as per the (now unavailable?) SFS Deacon Dan set, etc.
Done for entertainment, folks already suspect that you're in control of the pea, so it's largely irrelevant what the shells look like.

Making your own set from real walnuts is quite difficult though, as stopping the shells from splitting as you're working on them is an ongoing concern. You also need to reinforce the inside with something, or they'll split after you've made them and as they dry out.
I'm not sure I'd call making your own shells "fun", but it can be educational.
It's probably a better bet to buy a nice set from Al Smile
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
sgiandubh
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of sgiandubh
I would second Mr Bones buy a nice set and save yourself much grief ! Smile I have made a few sets and they all ended up splitting they are not stable. A good set from Al or SFS look like the real thing and will last a life time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » How important is it to have identical shells? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL