The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chopsticks Chop Cup (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I just had this idea after getting these chop sticks today and remembering this Chinese looking chop cup I made a while back. I just threw this together tonight, so its certainly not fantastic, and the angle of the camera does no favors (I flash at least a few times). Also, I just threw together the final load gimmick, so its quite loud, and the patter is not well put together. With all that being said, thinking of this as a sketch, what do you think of the routine as a whole? Its been a while since I actually came up with anything original, so I thought this could be a fun exercise for myself. Also, I'm putting this here instead of "you oughta be in pictures" cause this is where the cup and ball aficionados hang out. Hope that's okay.

https://youtu.be/W7HQU-vA9lI
Reality is a real killjoy.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I like the use of chop sticks as wands and "other than fingers" but not the vanish technique - at least not repeated.

definitely a seed worth developing

Might be great using fortune cookies - make your own out of leather.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Interesting idea! enjoyed
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On May 21, 2019, funsway wrote:
I like the use of chop sticks as wands and "other than fingers" but not the vanish technique - at least not repeated.

definitely a seed worth developing

Might be great using fortune cookies - make your own out of leather.

Thanks! At least last night, I couldn't think of anything else, but will keep thinking.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I like the concept. I don’t think the vanish is bad, just that it needs a little more practice. You might mix it up with other vanishes for added deception. Or not, if you really like this one.

One thing that might be worth your time is a more engaging story. Tell us about a meal you had recently at a Chinese restaurant. Every time you tried to politely get rid of the little red peppers that were too hot for you, it seemed like more would appear! You started out loving the meal, but before long all you could bring yourself to eat was the rice. Or use the fortune cookie load and say you could hardly wait for the meal to end.

I have made several fake fortune cookies out of thin craft foam. Look for a video on making fortune cookies and see the fold. Cut a circle. I used hot glue to make mine.

What I like best about your approach is that you are working mouth up. There is a sad sameness to a lot of chop cup routines. You are getting away from that and I applaud you for it.

Patrick
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Thanks for the idea, I'll think about it. Especially the fortune cookie idea. I may use real ones and have some sort of closing line or something be the fortune (just pretending to read it of course.)
J Burke Whittaker
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of J Burke Whittaker
I think you have the basis for something that could develope into a much better idea with some thought. Keep thinking it could turn out fantastic.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Why or why, would you post an undeveloped idea. Clearly, you need to educate yourself with sleight of hand moves, and what is the difference in a Chop Cup routine and a Don Alan Bowl routine.

Switch to small sponge balls, and use a rich cup, the orientals actually have a bowl they use to eat their rice from. Never just drop a load into a hard cup and then say, sorry for the load noise. That is not being a magician.

You just had to put this on YouTube as fast as you could, so that everyone could see how bad you are at performing magic. Also, develop routines to be seen by an audience. In a real situation you would have people to your sides and in back of you looking over your shoulder. That vanish would not work in real performance with people gathered around you. So study misdirection as well.

Please take the video down at soon as possible, and work on the the project until it is presentable.

I have used chop stick in magic before you were born. They are intriguing to me as well.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Bill, I took his original post to be sharing an idea and asking for input. I feel a video is the second best way to do this. (The best is in person, of course, but not everyone has that luxury.)

Please note that Zach said it was an idea he just had, he didn’t claim it was ready for stage. He clearly put in enough time to get a basic routine put together, then shot and shared. A lot of people don’t get that far. I believe the willingness to be vulnerable is vital to learning to be good.

Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chopsticks Chop Cup (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL