The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » L.P.I (Looch Pocket Index) - Stainless Steel Edition (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Willie mcgregor
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Willie mcgregor
Mine arrived while I was away - very impressed, looking forward to using these -(I bought 2) just joined the FB page waiting approval.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3319 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2019, Willie mcgregor wrote:
Mine arrived while I was away - very impressed, looking forward to using these -(I bought 2) just joined the FB page waiting approval.


Glad you like them Willie! Joel should have approved your access now. Any probs give me a shout! 👍🏼
joelclyne
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of joelclyne
Just to remind you all, we do have an active facebook group for the L.P.I. so if you are not a member of it, then find us on facebook and please do join it.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Looch - any thoughts on digitizing the original LPI book as a download? This new generation of indexes would like the information, I'm sure! And I'd be happy to work with you, since you have a busy summer...
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3319 Posts

Profile of Looch
Hi mate, yes. The plan is to make some of the material available on the owners page. A lot was no longer relevant, and/or my thinking behind aspects has changed hence why it wasn’t included in the new updated ebook.
Chollet
View Profile
New user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
63 Posts

Profile of Chollet
Received my 2 LPIs yesterday. Absolute perfection. Well designed and built to last forever. Working on an effect to open my stand up show that uses them. Thanks for the quality craftsmanship and attention to detail.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1229 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Received my pair a couple weeks ago, and I am absolutely happy as a clam at how the steel ones came out! Beautiful, tough, practical--perfect. Happy also that I gave my moolah directly to Looch this time, as the last LPI I owned had to be obtained second-hand!

Looch, I do have one question, which is probably a really stupid one, but I have been very curious. You had talked before about the crazy difficulty in getting these made in stainless steel, and how it almost didn't happen, etc. My question is... why is that? One of the ingenious aspects of your design seems to be its Zen-like simplicity, and I can't figure why a metalworking facility would find it so challenging? (Though, I'm assuming maybe the challenges had to do with cost-per-unit...)

Purely curious, and anyway THANK YOU AGAIN for bringing the LPI back!! Smile

Seth
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3319 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2019, Seth speaks wrote:
Received my pair a couple weeks ago, and I am absolutely happy as a clam at how the steel ones came out! Beautiful, tough, practical--perfect. Happy also that I gave my moolah directly to Looch this time, as the last LPI I owned had to be obtained second-hand!

Looch, I do have one question, which is probably a really stupid one, but I have been very curious. You had talked before about the crazy difficulty in getting these made in stainless steel, and how it almost didn't happen, etc. My question is... why is that? One of the ingenious aspects of your design seems to be its Zen-like simplicity, and I can't figure why a metalworking facility would find it so challenging? (Though, I'm assuming maybe the challenges had to do with cost-per-unit...)

Purely curious, and anyway THANK YOU AGAIN for bringing the LPI back!! Smile

Seth


Hi Seth,

Really glad you are enjoying the L.P.I’s - it’s been too long since they were last available. In response to your question, I think it was a mixture of things. The first being I never got a straight answer, either the company’s would just say that they couldn’t do it, or others would ignore my enquiries. I even spoke to an old friend who works himself as a sheet metal fabricator and his reply was they couldn’t get the tolerances to what I wanted it to be. In the end a local fabricator with a humongous hydraulic press agreed to make a prototype as proof of concept and that was it. They listened to me and offered advice at the same time. Great company to work with !
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3319 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2019, Chollet wrote:
Received my 2 LPIs yesterday. Absolute perfection. Well designed and built to last forever. Working on an effect to open my stand up show that uses them. Thanks for the quality craftsmanship and attention to detail.


Thank you! The quality of manufacture was so important for this project. Make sure you get in the FB page and keep us up to date with the effect you’re planning 😀
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1229 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Ahhh, that all makes sense. Thanks Looch!! Smile
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3319 Posts

Profile of Looch
No problem !

On a different note, a lot of owners are currently discussing on the FB group how they are using L.P.I in their trouser / jean pockets. Something I’ve not done much of before as I always perform in a jacket. It would appear this way of using it is very popular, so if you perform in Jeans and a shirt, the L.P.I is accessible for you too! 👍🏼
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3319 Posts

Profile of Looch
Last week I performed a Q&A routine for a corporate client who books me each year to entertain their VIP's at a casino. I have never previously indexed any stolen Q&A billets, but this time I indexed a few of them with my L.P.I. I made a note of them on my clipboard which was which and at specific intervals during the Q&A could secretly retrieve them one at a time and reintroduce them. I would palm one straight form the L.P.I and reach into the bowl, I would then bring out the palmed billet and hand it to someone to open and read to themselves. I could then answer that specific question and it could be returned to its owner afterwards. by doing this several times throughout, it created an additional hurdle of deception to the performance and made it impossible to reverse engineer.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1426 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Genius idea!
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1233 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
I had the original, and was delighted with it; my little pocket miracle. The LPI is impressive and beautifully made, but that has already been discussed on here in some detail. I originally had the VI.2, and I have to say I was more than happy with that. However, the LPI is SO well-machined, and is an absolute joy to work with - and when I say "well-machined" I mean you could probably run it over with a tractor and it wouldn't bend out of shape. And let's face it, the pocket index is an underused principle. I made my own pocket indexes over the years (you can find suggestions on how to construct them from matchbooks and old playing cards, using paperclips and rubber bands.) So, as you can imagine, I am delighted with this little beauty. Great hints and tips on the PDF, too - I would never have thought of clipping it onto my inner jacket pocket, for example.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3319 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2019, Drewmcadam wrote:
I had the original, and was delighted with it; my little pocket miracle. The LPI is impressive and beautifully made, but that has already been discussed on here in some detail. I originally had the VI.2, and I have to say I was more than happy with that. However, the LPI is SO well-machined, and is an absolute joy to work with - and when I say "well-machined" I mean you could probably run it over with a tractor and it wouldn't bend out of shape. And let's face it, the pocket index is an underused principle. I made my own pocket indexes over the years (you can find suggestions on how to construct them from matchbooks and old playing cards, using paperclips and rubber bands.) So, as you can imagine, I am delighted with this little beauty. Great hints and tips on the PDF, too - I would never have thought of clipping it onto my inner jacket pocket, for example.


I agree with you 100% the pocket index is a very underused tool! I think we all should have at least one, but please don't try and run yours over with a Tractor mate Smile
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3319 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2019, Looch wrote:
Last week I performed a Q&A routine for a corporate client who books me each year to entertain their VIP's at a casino. I have never previously indexed any stolen Q&A billets, but this time I indexed a few of them with my L.P.I. I made a note of them on my clipboard which was which and at specific intervals during the Q&A could secretly retrieve them one at a time and reintroduce them. I would palm one straight form the L.P.I and reach into the bowl, I would then bring out the palmed billet and hand it to someone to open and read to themselves. I could then answer that specific question and it could be returned to its owner afterwards. by doing this several times throughout, it created an additional hurdle of deception to the performance and made it impossible to reverse engineer.


A further progression of the above idea is if you are performing Q&A for a larger audience and the bowl is around half full of billets (or more) you can literally palm in your loaded LPI into the bowl so when you dip your hand into there during performance you can access any of your index billets with ease.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » L.P.I (Looch Pocket Index) - Stainless Steel Edition (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL