The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Subliminal by Jacob Smith (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2175 Posts

Profile of NeilS
One of my favourite effects has a subliminal theme ie supposedly influencing the spectator's choice. The effect has always gone down well and left the spectator wondering whether they were actually subliminally influenced.

Knowing how strong subliminal themed effects are, I was particularly interested in 'Subliminal,' a new release by Jacob Smith. It comes as a video download and with the production excellent. The introductory sequence, showing the area where the filming was shot, was also a joy and surprise to watch.

Now for the effect:

Using (if you want) a brand new pack of cards, these cards are thoroughly shuffled, mixed and cut. The spectator deals through the cards and you ask them to stop when they want, the aim being to psychologically influence them to stop at four of a kind, eg the four aces. After dealing and setting one card aside, they do this three more times all the time trying to possibly 'influence' them.

The cards set aside are turned over - each is one of the aces.

The spectator has indeed been influenced.

With the cards thoroughly shuffled and with the performer rarely touching the cards, Subliminal can be a really powerful effect.

In the download you not only see Jacob perform the complete routine but then go through it stage by stage. There is obviously a certain something you need to do and this is clearly explained. It is not difficult and if the 'move' is unfamiliar, is well worth learning.

In addition to the main effect, Jacob also describes another subliminal type effect, this using cards and a card box. This is a much quicker effect but will certainly make the spectator wonder. And when you have the idea behind this second effect, you can decide how best to achieve. Jacob gives his own version but you can certainly use other methods. I also like this very much and can see myself using.

Jacob Smith has a great manner and is to be really applauded for this release. More details can be found by following the link below but, with this the first in a series, I look forward to seeing more from this talented creator.

https://the13souls.com/shop/downloads/su......b-smith/

Neil
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3666 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Neil,
Thank you as always for your thorough review. It certainly seems a potent effect using influence as a theme. Is the handling natural?
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18105 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Does it have to be at a table?

And...

As it's about subliminal influence how is that approached during the presentation?

Thanks
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2175 Posts

Profile of NeilS
For the main effect, yes I think you would need a table. The spectator has to have somewhere to deal the cards on.

As for the actual 'subliminal influence' this can be suggested by the patter and is a dressing for the routine. It also allows the performer to have some fun, possibly with a nod of the head or quizzical look, as he/she watches the spectator deal the cards. It all depends how you want to play this. Subliminal, psychological influence, the possibilities are many ... and the handling is fairly natural, especially with the spectator given plenty of chance to shuffle, mix and cut the cards.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11558 Posts

Profile of John C
NeilS would you buy it again?

PS: Thanks. Trying to be more polite.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2175 Posts

Profile of NeilS
John and a few others with questions, I'll PM.

Also, in my review I mentioned one of my favourite subliminal effects. Again to answer questions received, this is in Art Vanderlay's book Planes Mistaken for Stars and is also the opening effect in his Penguin lecture. I have had great fun with this one. Smile

Neil
p_n_g
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of p_n_g
This may be some theoretical rambling, but, what the participant will think after this is performed on them?
"I mixed the cards, have no idea about the order of the cards, and still somehow the 4 cards that I stopped at,
were the 4 aces. The performer said, that I've been influenced. But how? Even if I was told to just put down the
Aces it would be almost impossible, as I didn't know where were they. Maybe he knew? That would make sense! What
if they already controlled the shuffle? No, I don't think so... Maybe he knows the card what I'm dealing? I heard
about this kind of cards. Yeah, that would make sense. Now that I think of it, there are ways to do it easier than
influencing me. Has he handled the cards? What if the influence was not about the cards, but about my thinking about
the real handling of the cards? Was I influenced to think I was influenced to select the 4 aces? Why am I still thinking?
What am I doing with my life? Am I awake? What if all of my decision is a lie? If all of my decision is an illusion, than I can
do anything, no consequences." - WW3 is started...

The theoretical question is this :
Isn't this effect a little bit too-perfect to achieve the suspension of disbelief?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18105 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Surely if you're worried about that, then don't let them finish with all 4 being correct... Easy...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18105 Posts

Profile of IAIN
OK, ordered it.. Will add my review soonish..
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2175 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On May 22, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Surely if you're worried about that, then don't let them finish with all 4 being correct... Easy...

Yes, you determine the outcome and the way it plays.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of Waters.
P_n_g,

To your point on plausibility:

Subliminal Influence:
...To make it plausible as influence you simply look at the faces of the deck after the shuffle. Then, shuffling becomes more about a challenge of influencing the cards where they happen to be in the deck rather than influencing participants to stop random locations, where the aces reside.

Subliminal Awareness:
If you want to shuffle and then perform without looking, perform as described and then discuss awareness of colors on the spectrum outside our visual awareness (but which still register on a subconscious level). Before turning the four cards over, shine a keychain black light on the back of each card. They all have “STOP” written on them with UV ink. (Of course, the rest of the deck does not). This is revelation 1. Slowly turn each card over revealing an ace, which is revelation 2. Plausibility intact.

It could be about the participants intuition if no one looks through the deck, but subliminal influence is made less plausible by not looking through the deck.

This routine sounds very nice.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Thanks to everyone for your interest.

If you have questions then please feel free to reach out to me.

XX,
-Jacob
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11558 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:

kind of like cataclysm
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11558 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On May 22, 2019, p_n_g wrote:
This may be some theoretical rambling, but, what the participant will think after this is performed on them?
"I mixed the cards, have no idea about the order of the cards, and still somehow the 4 cards that I stopped at,
were the 4 aces. The performer said, that I've been influenced. But how? Even if I was told to just put down the
Aces it would be almost impossible, as I didn't know where were they. Maybe he knew? That would make sense! What
if they already controlled the shuffle? No, I don't think so... Maybe he knows the card what I'm dealing? I heard
about this kind of cards. Yeah, that would make sense. Now that I think of it, there are ways to do it easier than
influencing me. Has he handled the cards? What if the influence was not about the cards, but about my thinking about
the real handling of the cards? Was I influenced to think I was influenced to select the 4 aces? Why am I still thinking?
What am I doing with my life? Am I awake? What if all of my decision is a lie? If all of my decision is an illusion, than I can
do anything, no consequences." - WW3 is started...

The theoretical question is this :
Isn't this effect a little bit too-perfect to achieve the suspension of disbelief?

uhhh,i hardly think a spec would have all that go thru their mind. Besides, they are too busy being influenced.

you could ask them a few questions while they are dealing, throw them off track. There are all sorts of ploys you could invoke
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18105 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ok, watched it... for me, it feels a bit over-priced for what it is, there's some very minor handling that does look and feel natural - it just seems to be at the (somewhat) critical moment... it feels a little Sankey-esque (again, no bad thing)…

It does what it says on the tin, if there were a tin at least...(hint - there's no tin)…

i'm sure lots will be happy with it though...i'm kinda old and getting grouchier by the day...

good luck with the other releases...
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Quote:
Ok, watched it... for me, it feels a bit over-priced for what it is, there's some very minor handling that does look and feel natural - it just seems to be at the (somewhat) critical moment... it feels a little Sankey-esque (again, no bad thing)…

It does what it says on the tin, if there were a tin at least...(hint - there's no tin)…

i'm sure lots will be happy with it though...i'm kinda old and getting grouchier by the day...

good luck with the other releases...

Thanks for the honest review Iain!

I'm a big fan of your work, so to have you say nice things about mine rally makes me happy.

XX,
-Jacob
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3815 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Congrats Jacob. Always the eager participant and host on Penguin Live and other Penguin projects, now a creator! CONGRATS!
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Quote:
On May 23, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:
Congrats Jacob. Always the eager participant and host on Penguin Live and other Penguin projects, now a creator! CONGRATS!

Thank you so much!

I'll be returning to Penguin Live this week to see David Stone Live, which is one of the most exciting events EVER!

XX,
-Jacob
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Fresh from the great Tony Blake...

"Jacob's "Subliminal" is quite good... I saw download a couple of days and then I used it... my audience like the effect... great stuff Jacob..."

Thanks Tony for the kind words, means a lot coming from a real legend.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3237 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Okay I took the plunge. Definitely not bad, very workable combo of principles. I have the same nitpick as Iain, the 'move' happens at a fairly hot moment. So not a magician fooler, but that's not really a big deal. It's a move I didn't know, so glad to have learned it (see look, I avoided using the word 'arsenal'!).

The video is very nicely shot and edited, Jacob is definitely good at the film making side of things and that's always nice.

I think for me, because of the build up and heat at the final moment, I'd opt to present it slightly differently, where we're just choosing 'random' cards so participant doesn't have any expectations during the process. Just a little tweak, but I think I prefer that.

Anyway, does what it says on the tin!
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Subliminal by Jacob Smith (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL