The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bottom palming (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I have a feeling that the most common answer to my question will be "practice, practice and practice some more." But here goes.

I'm working on LePaul's modification of the Erdnase bottom palm. What I find difficult is CONSISTENTLY picking up only one card with my left ring finger, rather than a small packet. If I can get it down to be reasonably consistent I'd call it a victory.

Any thoughts?
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Exactly. That is what I found. That just because it is written up, it will not necessarily work 1. all the time or 2 with a well used deck.
I would say this. This resulted in my finding something that works all the time and is invisible. Go through all the materials and try things.
But I would suggest Marlo is a great source for what will perhaps be your solution.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks, I got my copy of Revolutionary Card Technique - I guess it's time to stop being afraid of it.

Cheers,
Teddy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Atta boy Teddy! Congrats.
I was fortunate enough to acquire a numbered deluxe collectors edition signed by the Editor.
don't be afraid, dive right in! Try the items exactly as taught.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I am helping Teddy. It is a version of a bottom palm I came up with after looking at all that was available. I needed something smooth invisible and rock solid for my walkaround shows. I tried everything. I can't believe how many troublesome, half decent, work only perfectly sometimes , bottom palms there are. So I developed it. Then I found something similar in Marlo.

I think the bottom palm, if well done, is one of the greatest card sleights out there. They wont even suspect it if they know about palming.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
If it's a single-card bottom palm? Go to John Carney. If it were any easier, the cards would be bottom-palming you.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
loserdlj
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of loserdlj
Thanks, I got my copy of Revolutionary Card Technique
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Quoting Burnaby : "I'd go bottom palm, myself. Somewhere on Youtube is a video of Denis Behr doing an Erdnase Bottom Palm and it looks great. Plus, as has been pointed out by Michael Close and others, the very nature of a bottom palm brings with it advantages that you can't get from a top -- being able to openly hold the deck afterwards and show the other hand empty, the availability of (arguably) better-covered controls to the bottom, a wonderful gambit that allows for a great retreat if you want it, the efficiency and cover for replacements to the bottom, being able to use the deck for extra cover for the steal (rather than offering the back of the hand), etc."

Very well said. Excellent.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Well, there's a lot of sound logic in those words, but I can't credit for it. The man who taught me all that good stuff?

You guessed it, Frank Stallone.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
I think it's pretty hard to beat Ernest Earick's/Paul Curry's one-handed technique, especially if you need to palm more cards.

It's much, much easier to palm one card when the cards are either brand new (and therefore stiffer), or when the (more worn out) deck has a concave bend.

Mike
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I like to bottom palm a card, then while reading the spectator's palm, hold out the palmed card under their arm. They absolutely have no clue a card could be held out.......

Again, Burnaby, I think most magicians, including some pros do not understand the full meaning of your statement I quoted above. The incredible advantages of a smooth bottom palm.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 27, 2019, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
Well, there's a lot of sound logic in those words, but I can't credit for it. The man who taught me all that good stuff?

Why...just...why.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On May 28, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

Why...just...why.

He's the best one!
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Quote:
On May 28, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On May 28, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

Why...just...why.

He's the best one!

Sigh. Some people just can't recognize genius, no matter how much it fluffs its hair.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Again, Leave it PH. Please.

But I do finally agree with you on something. Carney is the guy.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks for all of the input. Right now I have so many classic card books that I have not yet read that I cannot justify getting anymore until I open them. But I will definitely keep John Carney's name in mind as I keep hearing it mentioned here.

I think that Countrymaven's direction to Marlo's RCT has helped me out, especially by combining a bit with Paul Lepaul's bottom palm.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Teddy
MagicianInTrouble
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of MagicianInTrouble
Quote:
On May 21, 2019, TeddyBoy wrote:
I have a feeling that the most common answer to my question will be "practice, practice and practice some more."

Nope. The correct answer is, "Think, think, and then think some more."
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 29, 2019, TeddyBoy wrote:
Thanks for all of the input. Right now I have so many classic card books that I have not yet read that I cannot justify getting anymore until I open them. But I will definitely keep John Carney's name in mind as I keep hearing it mentioned here.

I think that Countrymaven's direction to Marlo's RCT has helped me out, especially by combining a bit with Paul Lepaul's bottom palm.

Thanks again.

Carneycopia is one of the best books on closeup magic ever and in my opinion, its introduction should be read by every single person who wants to become a magician.
His Book of Secrets is also a must.
Carney may be the best pure sleight of hand artist on earth.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On May 29, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On May 29, 2019, TeddyBoy wrote:

Thanks again.

Carneycopia is one of the best books on closeup magic ever and in my opinion, its introduction should be read by every single person who wants to become a magician.
His Book of Secrets is also a must.
Carney may be the best pure sleight of hand artist on earth.

I agree about Carneycopia. It is now out of print, I believe, so find it where you can! John's website has some old blog posts that are worth reading.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Note quite OOP, in fact it is available as an ebook from LLePub and is currently half price: https://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=p......as8qhki4
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bottom palming (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL