The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Human Abacus (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
I have noticed a Human Abacus effect now being marketed—a stand, a set of vertical numbered Planks, with.a Pi book as part of the kit. I.have found no reviews. Is essentially the classic Mental Logs revised, or is it an advancement?

Thanks, George
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
749 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I'm interested in a review? I haven't found anything online, has anyone purchased this?
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4205 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Link?
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
After this much time, no news or reviews may speak volumes.

George
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
749 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I found a couple of reviews on the www.alakazam.co.uk site but was still looking for more detailed info.
Also nothing on youtube to view a performance.
I'm surprised nothing has come up on this one.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Special user
879 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Hello George,

Your suspicion is justified. Looking at this picture...

https://www.alakazam.co.uk/the-human-aba......cus.html

...I can even tell you the two missing digits on the bottom row. (The other two are indeterminate with many possibilities.)

A couple years ago, I made a similar set (52 double-sided ones, thus 104 for the participant to choose from) for less than $5. (See attached picture). In fact, these are color-coded so one needn't even see the actual digits at all; good for those of us with rotten vision! Throw in the homemade Pocket Guide to Cartomancy, and you could duplicate that book test, too. Of course there are other natural fo****g books kicking around.

So my take is, I'd rather spend ten dollars making both the placards (which look like a child's educational game, and hence don't seem like a magician's prop) and the Pocket Guide. But the ones you mentioned are indeed handsome.

Thomas Henry

Click here to view attached image.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
749 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Hello All, I took the plunge and purchased the Human Abacus so I think a review is in order.
First off let me tell you why I purchased.
I'm not a mentalist, I do a standup act with light humor. I have been working on adding a mental routine to the act and have tried a few things finding I really liked the speedy calculation type effects. This fits into my character very well.
I first saw the Human Abacus advertised and the look of the props fit what I was looking for along with the two routine concept also was interesting to me.
After checking the Café and not finding any review and reading what was on the dealers web site I took some time to think it over and purchased.
Let me start by saying the quality of the props are really good and appear to be durable so I expect to get a lot of use out of them. The methods are simple allowing you to concentrate on your presentation.
I found the Pi book to be actually larger than what it looked like in the dealer pictures which was a plus.
Some people feel mental effects should look totally natural and use as little formal props as possible, I'm not one of these I believe the props should look professional.
Yes you could construct your own and the method is already known in the magic community but for the cost of this and the look of the props I recommend it to others.
If you have any specific question feel free to PM me I'm happy to answer any and all.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Human Abacus (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL