The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Looking for a Card Force (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mindfreak2.0
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of mindfreak2.0
Hey everyone,

I am trying to find a card force in which I can spread out the deck (or packet of cards), the spectator runs their finger down the spread deck along the table, and "freely stops" at a card of their choice.

I've been doing some research but have come up empty, that is why I am posting this here. Any help or directions to look in would be greatly appreciated!
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
If I'm understanding correctly, the spread must be on the table? This isn't in the hands?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5972 Posts

Profile of magicfish
John Carey's Tabled Touch Force.
aabc
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of aabc
Will Houstoun has a nice one in his Penguin Live lecture.
Tortuga
View Profile
Loyal user
Ballwin, MO
217 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Quote:
On May 24, 2019, magicfish wrote:
John Carey's Tabled Touch Force.

I second this recommendation.
Zauberman
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
One way deck (may want to use a deck switch to get in and out of play)

Have the card pulled forward, pick up the rest of the deck and do a Curry Turnover to reveal the chosen card (the Curry Turnover will switch the chosen one for your desired force card)
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1470 Posts

Profile of Claudio
The best one I know is Tom Gagnon's Ultimate Spread Force, taught in his excellent book "Avant-Cards". Just sleight of hand and certainly not so easy to perform well.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5972 Posts

Profile of magicfish
A beautiful item from Mr. Gagnon. Great book.
And, incidentally, looks nothing like a classic force. ; )
mindfreak2.0
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of mindfreak2.0
Quote:
On May 24, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
If I'm understanding correctly, the spread must be on the table? This isn't in the hands?

Not necessarily. My original idea was to do it on a table, but in the hands would also be possible!
cfirwin3
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, New York
160 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
If you are doing it in the hands then you can't beat the underspread cull force. There are several variations. The easiest is to force the top card. The hardest is to force the bottom. The cleanest and best is to force a card from about 4 or five from the top by culling and forcing.

If you want to +1 the force then add a sort of reverse 'convincing control' substitution (outjogging the true selection but then showing the force upon splitting the spread).

Alternatively you could simply have a card freely selected from a spread and then DL from the top to the force.

Putting the spread in the hands makes what you are asking for much easier.

As for a table spread... consider offsetting the move and orchestrating a card substitution after the choice. The concept is really the same as any other force, but more elaborate.

The Gagnon ruse is pretty slick if you want to work at it... but there are easier ways to convince a spectator of the same conditions.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On May 27, 2019, cfirwin3 wrote:
If you are doing it in the hands then you can't beat the underspread cull force. There are several variations. The easiest is to force the top card. The hardest is to force the bottom. The cleanest and best is to force a card from about 4 or five from the top by culling and forcing.

If you want to +1 the force then add a sort of reverse 'convincing control' substitution (outjogging the true selection but then showing the force upon splitting the spread).

Alternatively you could simply have a card freely selected from a spread and then DL from the top to the force.

Putting the spread in the hands makes what you are asking for much easier.

As for a table spread... consider offsetting the move and orchestrating a card substitution after the choice. The concept is really the same as any other force, but more elaborate.

The Gagnon ruse is pretty slick if you want to work at it... but there are easier ways to convince a spectator of the same conditions.

Yes to all of this. (Except for cull forcing the top card. That's a no-no for me.)
cfirwin3
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, New York
160 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
Quote:
On May 27, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:

Yes to all of this. (Except for cull forcing the top card. That's a no-no for me.)

I like to spread the top card off and then spread 4 cards on top of that while explaining what I'm going to have the spectator do. I close the spread and continue. Then I spread cull the 5th card (now the location of the force card) and then force it cleanly. The dirty move was set apart as a get ready... displaced from the actual moment. I agree with your perspective on spread cull forcing the top card outright. It's awkward and people are likely to feel that something's up even if they can't quite sort out what it is.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
Quote:

I like to spread the top card off and then spread 4 cards on top of that while explaining what I'm going to have the spectator do. I close the spread and continue. Then I spread cull the 5th card (now the location of the force card) and then force it cleanly. The dirty move was set apart as a get ready... displaced from the actual moment. I agree with your perspective on spread cull forcing the top card outright. It's awkward and people are likely to feel that something's up even if they can't quite sort out what it is.

Sure, you can smooth down the edges of the Simple Simon. But it's hard to imagine a scenario where I'd opt for a disguised sleight over an invisible one -- at least in this context. Horses for courses, etc.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2905 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
Quote:

I do something almost identical to this. It's an open reverse counting of the first four cards that mimics a sort of spreading action, followed by a square-up ("Actually, point your finger just like this."), followed by a similar-looking spread of the top three cards, bringing the cards up to their finger so that it touches the third card ("Just touch it like this..."). I flash it at them ("...and we'll look at that one") and then bring it down ("...but just touch it so that you can change your mind if you want. Ok?"), then cull and keep spreading. It works well.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
cfirwin3
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, New York
160 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
Quote:
On May 27, 2019, The Burnaby Kid wrote:

I do something almost identical to this. It's an open reverse counting of the first four cards that mimics a sort of spreading action, followed by a square-up ("Actually, point your finger just like this."), followed by a similar-looking spread of the top three cards, bringing the cards up to their finger so that it touches the third card ("Just touch it like this..."). I flash it at them ("...and we'll look at that one") and then bring it down ("...but just touch it so that you can change your mind if you want. Ok?"), then cull and keep spreading. It works well.

Oooooooo I like that. That's good spectator management... keeps them active and paying attention to something right when you need them to. And the move has purpose. Great misdirection.

Thanks for sharing that!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2970 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Provided it doesn’t interfere with whatever you’re planning to do afterwards, there’s always the old rough and smooth or Science Friction, using double decker cards if showing 52 different cards is important.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
What do you do AFTER they point at a card?
If you scoop them up and hand/show them their card then you are essentially in control territory. Probably an underspread-cull or similar.

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10579 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
The godfathers giggle force
text me if you want a demo

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10579 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Mr salk I sent you the giggle force
hope you enjoy it

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I have a force I will be giving away in a couple of months down below. It is called the Gravity Force.
It replaces the classic force. You let the spectator shuffle the cards, you take them back with no peek. You then spread through the cards, and show that they get a different card every time. This is very natural, with no count downs, no setting up.

Then they tell you when to stop. Unlike the regular cull force, this has no "Peeping Tom" cards. No cards sticking out from the spread. their choice is free. You instantly mimic what you did previously in having them possibly choose a card. But this time they choose it. You do not have to worry about where they choose it from, outs, or other brain scramblers. No need for a table. Ultra clean. No quickie moves. No bad angles.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Looking for a Card Force (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL