The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Crossfire by Chris Philpott (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Hey Everyone --

Here's my new effect: The Crossfire Book Test! This gets incredible reactions -- check out the video, which ends with a standing ovation:

Crossfire: a Book Test with a Twist!

"This is the type of routine lay audiences love! Crossfire is mind reading with an incredible kicker that your audience won’t see coming -- but will never forget!"
- Craig Karges

"This is an excellent effect! Crossfire gives you a great surprise reveal at the end, making it different from any other book test. So many ideas come to mind for how we can use it!"
- Jeff Evason (The Evasons)

"When I saw Chris perform this at the Magic Castle I told him to keep this for himself. It's literally a standing-ovation-causing show closer! If you are a serious student of Mentalism, Crossfire is a must have. Get it!"
- David Blatter (America's Got Talent finalist).

"I love the 'hidden' revelations that are out there and the audience doesn't see it until you show them. Crossfire is a great book test for workers. Looks like I am going to put this book test into my act."
- Lior Manor

Crossfire is a fast, clean, and stunning new book test, in which you read the thoughts of between 4 and 8 spectators (no process, no writing and no fishing!) This not only features some incredibly clean mind-reading, but also features a surprise twist kicker ending!

The performer shows a copy of one of the most magical books ever written: Peter Pan. Every page appears different (they are), and ungimmicked (they are not). The performer riffles through the book - a spectator calls stop, the performer stops exactly on that page and has the spectator remember a word (no peeks).

Then, in a manner similar to the multiple card selection (one of the greatest effects in magic), between 3 and 7 more people also call stop as you riffle and they think of a word.

Without asking a single question, the performer quickly rattles off several details about the word: "I'm getting nothing. Maybe that’s the point. I'm sensing an absence, something missing...." He writes a word on a white board or pad. He asks the spectator to name her word: "Lacking". The performer shows his board: he has written "Lacking".

But as he moves on, he faces some difficulties: some people are resistant to mind reading. Half the words are nailed quickly and precisely, but with the others, the performer can't seem to name the precise word though he always gets close (like saying "Leg" instead of "Limb", "Cask" instead of "Cork".

In the end, he's only got half the words right. But then in a surprising revelation, he shows he's predicted all the other words as well (see video for details).

While the book is small enough to fit in your back pocket, the effect is big enough to wow a large theater!

The copy of Peter Pan appears identical to the one used in The Tossed Out Book Test ("Frankly, if this had been mine, I would not have sold it, but kept it for myself." - Richard Osterlind), so the two effects can be used together.

"Chris Philpott's Crossfire Book Test is a thing of beauty! This kind of prop is right up my alley. Using a very classic idea (but one not produced before in this way) you are able to read the minds of 4 to 8 spectators as cleanly and directly as possible. Actually, you can just do it with one or two if you like. See, this is what I love so much about it. It is flexible and allows you to tailor the presentation to your own needs and style. The books themselves are perfectly produced and look just like what you would find on the shelves of Barnes and Noble. There is no way you can fail to stun your audience with Crossfire if you pay attention to the fully-explained instructions that Chris has painstakingly laid out. Here is a totally professional piece of equipment that, if you are a serious Mentalist, you cannot afford to be without."
- Richard Osterlind

Crossfire Book Test: $79.
Crossfire Plus: Book Test, plus an "ungimmicked" book to switch out for examination. $120.
Crossfire Pro: Book Test, plus "ungimmicked book" and 2 additional gimmicked books (allows you to get different outcomes in different shows), a total of four books. $239.

Available here: http://magicaonline.com/crossfire.htm

Thanks!
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1294 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Wow, this is right up my alley, Chris.

Quick question: Is there a reason the page selection must be done the way it’s shown in the trailer? The angle looks like you could just be peeking over the top of the page. Clearly, that’s not the method, but I wouldn’t want spectators thinking that as they watch.

Great work!

Madison
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1168 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
What an impressive conclusion to the effect! It looks like an incredible piece.
Seth
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11489 Posts

Profile of John C
How much is just the standing ovation?
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2884 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Are there different outcomes possible? Or it always ends with the same set of words?
Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

The page selection in this performance is tighter than it needs to be -- I cut in one insert which is more more like it should look. And you can turn your head to eliminate the possibility of peeking. For context, this was my first time performing at the Castle (I usually get my friends to perform for me.) I did the effect twice -- this is the second. For the first I did turn my head away, but for the second I thought I'd just keep things simple for myself to concentrate on performance, doubting the lay audience would suspect a peek (they're reactions suggest they didn't). In the video I do a "director's commentary" of the performance in which I explain some of my strategies and also critique my own handling.

Hey Last Laugh --
If you get the regular Crossfire, the outcome is always the same. If you get Crossfire Pro, there are three possible outcomes, different sets of words but each climaxing in a word grid revelation.

John C, sorry, standing ovation not sold separately. Smile

-Chris
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11489 Posts

Profile of John C
Looks cool.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
515 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Very nice, now the Spanish version
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Elite user
If only I didn't have a wife and kid I would have MUCH more than
468 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Very creative, great surpise-additional-kicker-ending! I live in Holland though, so sadly not for me. :-(
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7196 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On May 29, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Very creative, great surpise-additional-kicker-ending! I live in Holland though, so sadly not for me. :-(

The Dutch people speak better English than most of us in England. Lol.
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
Quote:
On May 29, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On May 29, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:

Please show some respect to our Dutch friends and refer to them by their proper name, the Hollandaise.
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Quote:
On May 29, 2019, pegasus wrote:

Your ferry kind!
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

I've got to agree with Pegasus -- whenever my wife's Dutch relatives came to visit, their English is flawless. The Dutch version will be on the back-burner for now.

Just got a lovely comment on my FB page on Crossfire:

"Crossfire book test is so clean and clever I ordered it before I even finished reading the original ad copy. Chris Philpott has created something that will stun and delight an audience and, like all good movies, there's a moment of seeming failure before the heroic triumph. I can't wait to put this in my show. The hard part will be in appearing to be humbled while knowing the knockout finish that awaits. This is epic mentalism!"
-Bruce Gold

Thanks, Bruce!
Psy
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Psy
Will there be a multi-language version available soon?
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Hey Psy, I probably won't release a single multi-language version like I did for 100th Monkey and Narcissus because with those I could fit 12 languages on the dvds and this requires a book for each language. But if there is enough demand for any particular language I could certainly explore the possibility.

If there is a language you'd like to see Crossfire in, let me know by posting your request. Thanks!
Pixelated
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
Ordered and looking forward to it.

Hope the travel to the UK doesn't take too long!
makulit974
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of makulit974
Hi Chris
French would be awesome. Thanks
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Thanks, Pixelated -- it's been sent out and shouldn't take too long.

makulit974, French -- check.
Pixelated
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
I love it when this happens. What a great effect!

The trailer shows you what you are getting, and Chris has a reputation for hard hitting, workable mentalism.

The book itself is well designed and printed and the method is sure fire.

For such a small prop you get so many reveals and surprise endings, I will be carrying it everywhere on my case.

As a wedding magician, this has just become my new top table effect. No one has to leave their seats, nothing has to be written by the participants and tou can even leave them with a switched out ungimmicked book if you wanted to!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Crossfire by Chris Philpott (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL