The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Crossfire by Chris Philpott (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2019, Pixelated wrote:
I love it when this happens. What a great effect!

The trailer shows you what you are getting, and Chris has a reputation for hard hitting, workable mentalism.

The book itself is well designed and printed and the method is sure fire.

For such a small prop you get so many reveals and surprise endings, I will be carrying it everywhere on my case.

As a wedding magician, this has just become my new top table effect. No one has to leave their seats, nothing has to be written by the participants and tou can even leave them with a switched out ungimmicked book if you wanted to!


Are you his neighbour or something? How did you get yours so fast? I ordered on the 28th and still haven't gotten it, did you somehow pay for express shipping?
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Just got mine! YES!
Pixelated
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
No express delivery, not sure how it happened, but happy that it did!
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1257 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, PatrickGregoire wrote:

Are you his neighbour or something?


LOL.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Thanks, Pixelated!

Patrick Gregoire, we were delayed for a few days waiting on more books, and then there are the mysteries of the United State's Postal System...
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1893 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Just a quick post to let you guys know that this is now available at your favorite Murphy's Magic retailer.

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=64929

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11732 Posts

Profile of John C
So any reviews? Difficulty level? Memory? Calculations ?
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1965 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Magic Review - Crossfire Book Test by Chris Philpott

VIDEO REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mRpDwoUBvw
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
David, I donít see where all this confidence is required. I believe I know the part to which you are referring, but I have been able to hit the right spots with minimal practice. And I am a bigger klutz than most!!

Thanks!

Jim
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2019, J-Mac wrote:
David, I donít see where all this confidence is required. I believe I know the part to which you are referring, but I have been able to hit the right spots with minimal practice. And I am a bigger klutz than most!!

Thanks!

Jim


All it takes is one spectator who is adamant about where they want you to stop rifling and it's pretty much game over. Then consider the fact that you're doing it 4-8 times. It's also very easy to get stopped on the cusp and you're not sure if you got it right or not. Even Chris had it happen in the performance... I wish this was 100%, kind of iffy to use this.

Maybe some great ideas are being discussed in the FB group, I wouldn't know because I was emailed the link to join it, the link didn't work and they never responded to my email.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Thanks, David for the review! Here's the quote Murphy's pulled from it:

"Crossfire is the booktest with the standing ovation kicker! Chris Philpott is an amazing creator and always delivers."
-Magic Orthodoxy.

And just an addendum to the question of examinability after performance, if you want to switch it out, I have a "normal" version available -- normal is in quotes because it's gimmicked so all the force words appear at the top of one page.

And this is from Crossfire's second review:

"WOW - Chris has knocked this book test out of the park!!! "
-Paul Romhany, Vanish Magazine

Thanks, Paul!

Thanks, Titanas, for posting about it.

Hey John C, as you can see, the reviews are starting to come in. Plus there are the pre-release quotes on the first page of this thread. Murphy's has the difficulty level as Intermediate, but I'd say it's on the light side of Intermediate. Memory? Well, there's no memory work required for actually doing the effect, but if you want to script it out (and I spend a lot of time on the video on scripting, which is a particular passion of mine) you'd obviously have to memorize that. No calculations.

Hey J-Mac, I'm a klutz too!

Hey Patrick Gregoire, sorry you didn't get added to the FB group. I've been spending a lot of time dealing with a family emergency (my FB friends will know what I'm talking about), so some things fell through the cracks. I'll track down the problem and fix it this weekend. As for the riffling question, this is actually much much easier and more surefire than the Classic Force -- with a bit of practice it is 100%. As with a riffle force if they take too long to say stop, just riffle to the end of the book and start again. As I mentioned in the video, the reason I missed it once in the video performance was because I'd practiced in a well-lit room but in performance I hit a dark spot where I could barely see. So I came up with the second method for keeping track which is explained on the video (if you bought this as a pre-sale, it wasn't in that version, but it's there in the dropbox now.) And as you see in the video, if you do miss a force, it's no big deal -- if eight people are looking at a book there's a decent chance two people will land on the same page. No one thought anything was odd about it. I just had them pick again.

-Chris
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Hey Patrick, just sent an invite to the FB group. Let me know if it works. Thanks.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2019, Chris Philpott wrote:
Hey Patrick, just sent an invite to the FB group. Let me know if it works. Thanks.


I appreciate you trying again but unfortunately as with the first time and as mentioned in an email I had replied to the first email sent to me, all I get when I click the invite link is a page that says "Sorry, this content isn't available right now - The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in."

Feel free to PM me if you might know what the issue is, thanks again Chris.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
It's strange -- we're sending the invitation from the FB group. I just sent you a friend request to see if that helps.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Hey Patrick, now that we're FB friends, I sent you an invitation by entering your name (complete with profile pic) rather than your email address. Did that work?
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2019, Chris Philpott wrote:
Hey Patrick, now that we're FB friends, I sent you an invitation by entering your name (complete with profile pic) rather than your email address. Did that work?


Yes it did, I'm in the group now. Thanks Chris 🙂
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Cool -- thanks!
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Another nice comment on Crossfire:

"As a book test-aholic from way back, this is by far my absolute favorite, and the only one in my show! Bravo! If this had come out 20 years ago, it would have saved me a ton of money!"

- Lon Cerel

Thanks, Lon!
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
451 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
Itís one thing to read a glowing review of a product from a superstar magician. On the other hand most of us are not superstars and Iíve always enjoyed and benefited greatly from reading what an average performer has to say. After all you donít expect them to know everything and have the super skills of some of the big-name performers you see on national television. Which means you have a better idea of whether or not a particular trick is going to work for you and if you can work the trick. I also donít write many reviews of tricks because I donít have a lot of time and most of what I would have to say seems to have already been said by the time I would submit a review. However in this case I am so excited about this effect that I had to take time to submit a few comments and brag on Chris.

Iím one of those people that had never heard of Chris until I heard about 100 monkeys. And once I got 100 monkeys and tried it out informally on some friends I was shell-shocked at the results. I couldnít wait to put it in my show and invited certain people to that performance that I knew would be great to use with that effect! While this is not a review of 100 monkeys I must tell you that the performance was on my part ďaverageĒ at best but the results that performance achieved were beyond anything I wouldíve imagined!!

I love the premise of taking away someoneís ability to read and had lined up the perfect participate. He was well known to the other attendees and a longtime friend of mine. Once we got going I could tell from the look on his face that he thought I was going to serve him a slow pitch and he would be able to knock it out of the park. As I explained what was about to happen you could see the look on his face which said thereís no way you can keep me from reading a word! I had shown him and the audience some of the dummy words that everyone could read before I zapped him! My biggest regret was that I didnít have someone taking a picture of his face the second he realized he couldnít read that word and then he thought nobody could read it but when the person just a couple of feet behind him could read it, needless to say, was, as they say, a thing of beauty!!

I donít know about you but there have been very few effects that Iíve acquired in my 20+ years of performing that I could do a mediocre job with on stage and get that kind of response. And so the reason I mention that effect, before I talk about the one that prompted this review, is because it was at that moment that I became a lifelong fan of anything and everything that Chris Philpott puts out!

When this trick, Crossfire, first started getting some publicity and some reviews and then I saw the video I thought thereís no way you can do that. I happen to love mentalist and I especially love book tests and have quite a collection of them. I watched the video several times and thought about every book test I had or had seen and for the life of me I had no idea how that could be accomplished! The more I thought about it the more the thought kept coming into my mind that this is another 100 monkeys kind of trick. In other words an average performance is more than likely going to deliver spectacular results. Since Chris had already proven himself to deliver that kind of magic I thought Iím getting it. When the mail arrived and I knew what was in the envelope I could hardly wait to open it. However I was unfortunately detained on another project and couldnít open it until that night. My wife and I were both in the living room as I opened it and began to see another example of the genius that is Chris Philpott. My wife heard me say "oh my gosh!" and she had no idea what I was doing so she asked if everything was OK and I said oh everything is very OK!! Then she realized I was looking at a magic trick and started laughing. She said what is it and I said youíll have to wait to find out. She hates that but thatís just the way it is. However a few minutes later I softened a little bit and I asked her if she remembered the show where I took away Steveís ability to read & she said oh yeah!! She said she loved that and had NO idea how I did it unless I talked him into pretending that he couldnít read. And I said no he really couldnít read it. And she said well if the trick is from the guy that came up with the ďcanít read the word trickĒ itís got to be good. My response to her was this is one of my favorite kinds of tricks and this is the best version Iíve ever seen.

I would say in all honesty that if you do not like standing ovations then you should not buy this trick. Because I cannot imagine how an audience could stay in their seats and not get on their feet once you throw in the kicker. Iíve never seen that kicker done and Iím quite certain that Iím not the only magician that hasnít seen it either.

When Iím doing my mentalism shows I intersperse the ďreal effectsď with quite a few gag tricks. So you never really know when something starts if itís going to be an impressive trick or an ďI got youĒ gag. After a couple of each of those the audience really doesnít know what to expect. And when you get to the end of an effect, or so they think the end of the effect, and then you say in your best Colombo style voice Ė ďJust one more thing...Ē and you hear my favorite two words spoken out loud by someone in the audience, you canít help but grin. And I can almost guarantee you that Crossfire is going to get my favorite two word phrase every time! The two words that absolutely bring a smile to my face are when an audience member says in a loud voice ďno way!Ē Itís at that moment that I step out of character look them him right in the eye and say Ēoh yeah!Ē And grin as big as I can. For me itís those moments that are the real payment for the show. Most of the show fees that Iíve ever made have been for the benefit of Shriners and Scottish Rite childrenís hospitals. So I look forward to those I moments of sheer joy when you know you have nailed the audience hard and completely. Chris Philpott seems to have an innate ability to create tricks that do that. I am anxiously waiting on my next show so that I can hit everybody between the eyes with this trick. The small groups Iíve shown it to for practice have loved it but they already knew me and I like the reactions of strangers more for determining how a trick really comes off.

If you donít already own this trick why are you still reading this and not calling Chris and having it overnighted?? You will NOT regret it.

Iíve never met Chris in person, we are not related, Iím getting nothing for this review, and I mean every word of what Iíve said. I donít know about you but at 62 years of age Iíve met a lot of people that looked good and sounded good at first -- only to discover they were very hollow and couldnít produce on an ongoing basis. It should be clear to you, as it is to me, that Chris is not one of those people. And that if he puts something out you should instantly know itís going to be a home run.

The lack of any other reviews by me on the cafť, or any place else for that matter, that are even a fraction this long should be enough evidence to convince even the most skeptical person that Iím very serious about what Iíve said. I hope thereís been something in here that will help you discover the magic that Chris makes available and expose it to your audiences because regardless of what they pay you, the response that I know comes from 100 monkeys -- and will come from this new trick --will be worth far more than that paycheck.

And to you Chris Ė a big thank you for sharing your talent with us because you made this average performer shine a little brighter for a long time to come!

Best wishes!
Carl
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1257 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
So I guess you like the trick?
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Crossfire by Chris Philpott (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL