The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » "Hypnosis Ruined My Life" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Channel Five just aired a programme with the above title. Another manipulative programme designed to pull at the heartstrings and destroy stage hypnosis in this country.

Again the same old cases are dragged on TV and given a platform to manipulate views of millions of viewers with absolutely no medical or scientific basis to connect hypnosis with their situations. So far this was the most unbalanced programme of this type I have ever saw.

The programme allowed the "victims" full reign to give their views as to how having participated on stage has ruined their lives. Despite there being no medical evidence to back up what they claim. Neither did we get any investigation into other factors that have gone on in their lives which would be more than likely the main cause of their situation.

A whole hour of this rubbish. Then about 15 seconds at the end commenting on how the Home Office had made an extensive investigation into stage hypnosis and found no basis to any of the claims that hypnosis is dangerous.

Not only that we had one clinical psychologist throughout commenting on what might be possible. Obviously from the anti-brigade. Yet none of the experts that investigated the cases and found no evidence.

I also noticed in this programme Paul Mckennas two year case was not mentioned as he won it when it was proved an incident on stage did not cause schizophrenia to develop in a volunteer.

This the worst programme of its kind and Channel Five should be shot.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1936 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Journalism has a LOT to answer for...

I saw a similar programme (maybe the same one, not sure) and the claims were ambiguous at best, and at this time I had absolutely NO knowledge of hypnosis and it didn't convince me. I think they had that guy on that has been mentioned on here that does the immoral hypnosis act... Jonathon Royle is it?
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
No, it was even worse than that programme, at least they had some balance.
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Hi Shrink,

Have to agree with you here. The only case that may have had a smattering of truth was the woman that had been regressed. I can see how that would have caused some trauma.

As for the rest, as you say, no evidence whatsoever that hypnosis was the cause. When are we going to have a show that shows how helpful hypnosis can be and how it can help to cure a variety of problems?
mysterious_guy
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of mysterious_guy
Yeah, totally agree with the comments. Some of them was just putting everything that happened in their life since they were hypnotized down to whatever they were 'made' to do on stage.

Pitty as when stage hypnosis seems to be making a comeback, something always comes along to bring it right back down again.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Mark

You have to realize she already had a problem. She had been sexually abused. She was already traumatized. Even buried away it would be affecting her life. And almost anything could have regressed her there sometime in the future. Watching a film, having an argument, lots of everyday things could have triggered her past. What they didn't tell you was she was only awarded £6000 against the hypnotist. And that was because he didn't follow the new Home Office guidelines that asks for age regression not to be used.

Think about it, if he had been found guilty of "ruining her life" do you think he would've been sued for only £6000? They didn't mention that. And even the ant-psychologist said the vast majority of people were not at risk, only a few "vulnerable" people. What he was really saying people who already have a problem. Not only that they never looked at how every day events trigger the same problems with "vulnerable" people.

It was a lot of ****.
Babymagician
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Babymagician
I was hypnotized and now I can only move my arm when someone else is standing behind me and is willing it to move!!!
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
So hypnosis improved your life then?
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Is this the special that Jonathan has been talking about on his forum that showcased a number of his students and used his eyes as the tease commercial publicizing the show?

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Quote:
On 2004-05-19 19:29, shrink wrote:
Mark

You have to realize she already had a problem. She had been sexually abused. She was already traumatized. Even buried away it would be affecting her life. And almost anything could have regressed her there sometime in the future. Watching a film, having an argument, lots of everyday things could have triggered her past. What they didn't tell you was she was only awarded £6000 against the hypnotist. And that was because he didn't follow the new Home Office guidelines that asks for age regression not to be used.


Hi Shrink,

I do agree with you here but felt that the Stage Hypnotist in this case acted irresponsibly by regressing the woman concerned. She obviously was carrying this repressed event around with her a long time, and it is possible that the hypnosis could have re-triggered the memory. It is, as you say, also possible that any other event could have re-triggered the memory.

I have no problem with stage hypnosis if practiced by responsible qualified people such as yourself. However, I do have a problem with unqualified people jumping on the bandwagon.

By regressing this woman on stage, the hypnotist in question left himself wide open.

Apart from that, I do agree with you. The rest of the show was complete and utter ****
bootweasel
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of bootweasel
My problem with the woman in question was the fact that she had clearly shifted the blame of her abuse from the abuser on to the hypnotist, which is neither appropriate or fair. Whilst the hypnotist acted irresponsibly, the fact remains that clearly the psychological issues arising from the incident weren't dealt with. She should have been through therapy/counseling at the time.
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Quote:
On 2004-05-20 06:28, bootweasel wrote:
My problem with the woman in question was the fact that she had clearly shifted the blame of her abuse from the abuser on to the hypnotist, which is neither appropriate or fair. Whilst the hypnotist acted irresponsibly, the fact remains that clearly the pyschological issues arising from the incident weren't dealt with. She should have been through therapy/couselling at the time.


Couldn't agree more.

The stage show may have been the trigger but it certainly wasn't the cause.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Her issues would have come to the surface at some point anyway. What we never heard on TV was how it was probably already affecting her in some ways. The show made out that all the people concerned lead perfect lives before being on stage. I doubt this very much.

I had to laugh when the young guy ended up busking and someone had thrown a piece of pizza into his hat. Theatrical or what? And all because of being on stage with a hypnotist. And of course his life was perfect before being on stage.

BTW the most likely course for these people would be being referred to a counselor which only prolongs and ingrains the problem. The woman said she had 18 months of hell (yep, it's a counselor). And I could see she still had not resolved her problem. She still had so much anger unresolved. One of the reasons she would have taken it so badly towards the hypnotist would be the years of suppressed anger she was experiencing.

We all know people who burst into tears at the slightest thing or display outburst of uncontrollable anger out of proportion with the incident. This is the reason.
Junta
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Junta
I agree I saw this programme, and with no knowledge of the subject at all really I was gobsmacked on how this what can only be described as utter crap ever got on to TV.

Like the girl who died in her sleep, her mother is just blaming anything she can. It's just such a coincidence that she was in a performance that night, just so you know if there is any performers out there who do this that the two of us that watched this one sided rubbish thought exactly that.
MesmerEyes
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
63 Posts

Profile of MesmerEyes
Was the hypnotist having her be eight years old or having her go back to when she was eight years old?
Blackpool
View Profile
New user
Kingston, Ontario
31 Posts

Profile of Blackpool
If the regressed woman had been in my show, I would offer to sort her out for free. I had a subject who had been raped who came to me for help. She had not had a full night's sleep since the incident, about 2 1/2 years. She would doze off and then awaken in a panic after about an hour. I got her life back in two sessions.

For the girl who died, I'd recommend holding a séance during which she absolves you of all wrongdoing.
The Amazing Blackpool
Magician ~ Mental Illusionist ~ Hypnotist
Blackpool@KingstonMagic.com
SneakyD
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of SneakyD
Quote:
On 2004-06-07 23:32, Blackpool wrote:
For the girl who died, I'd recommend holding a séance during which she absolves you of all wrongdoing.


This statement is in very poor taste.
It's also one of the funniest things I've ever read. Smile
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
Quote:
On 2004-05-19 19:30, Babymagician wrote:
I was hypnotized and now I can only move my arm when someone else is standing behind me and is willing it to move!!!

Quote:
On 2004-05-19 19:39, shrink wrote:
So hypnosis improved your life then?


How would this have improved his life? Unless of course he couldn't move his arm before the hypnosis!

-Francisco
'When you steal one trick, they call it plagiarism. When you steal many - they call it research.'

[Corinda, 13 steps to mentalism]
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4172 Posts

Profile of bobser
Exactly!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Francisco, I guess it was a joke. A beautiful one, BTW.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » "Hypnosis Ruined My Life" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL