The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Silhouette by Tobias Dostal (118 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20~21 [Next]
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4525 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2019, Dominic Reyes wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2019, RNK wrote:
I for one am having a ball with this! Love practicing it as well, so much fun!! I do believe I will get a flip case to help with the angles. Though, you can definitely do it with a borrowed phone, I would feel my comfortable with the flip case. And for me, this effect is so neat and different that I will add the flip case.

BritishMagic, I definitely can understand what you are saying, if your hands are to small this definitely would make performing this and trying to hide the method much more difficult. Hope it's your phone size and you can get a smaller one.

RNK: Did you pick up a phone case? If so, did that make it a lot easier for you?

BritishMagic: Did you try a smaller phone?

I did not pick up the flip case yet Dominic. Very soon. I have been trying to work this without a case and I have to say it will definitely be tough without the case. But first I want to work it as much as I can without the case to see what I can get away with regarding the angles. I believe adopting the movements using a case will not take long after working a lot without it.
Kathon
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Kathon
I have avoided ALL mobile phone tricks and gimmicks until now. What appeals to me about THIS mobile phone trick, as opposed to others, that it can play to a crowd and involve many spectators. Mine was delivered today, and I'm impressed with the concept, the production quality of the gimmick and the production quality of the training, which is extensive.
Kathon
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Kathon
FWIW, you don't have to use your primary phone. not only can the phone be borrowed, but you can repurpose one of your own old phones since mobile/carrier service is not required, just the flashlight. If you have more than one phone, you can choose to use the one with the best flashlight for this effect.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1817 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Got it a few weeks ago to test out - here is my basic review: https://youtu.be/j4uMuwKFawE
New Magic / Playing Card Reviews EACH WEDNESDAY
Youtube @MagicOrthodoxy
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Super nice review!
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
870 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
I'm live right now with Tobias Dostal to chat about SILHOUETTE! https://www.facebook.com/MurphysMagicSup......77750929
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
870 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
Couldn't join us live? No prob, catch the Silhouette Q&A replay now!

Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
516 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Just saw the live, he is here in Greece lol
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5660 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
Got it a few weeks ago to test out - here is my basic review: https://youtu.be/j4uMuwKFawE

“Never seen anything like it.” I guess then, you have never seen Ghost Vision by Andrew Mayne. It’s the same exact concept but uses video rather than shadow.
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1817 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Same exact concept only it’s done with video and not with shadows, it doesn’t have a mechanism that allows you to have animations, it has totally different effects and different materials.
Everything else is EXACTLY the same lol

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5660 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Ghost Vision does have animation, no “mechanism” necessary. To be clear, I said “same exact concept”. Not every detail! lol

That’s not to say that this isn’t a much more interactive and more visible routine. But to say “I have never seen anything like it.”, as David did, is ignoring the history of magic.

I sure hope it doesn’t end up the latest rage on talent shows and get exposed over and over in six months.
Melies
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
105 Posts

Profile of Melies
Just received this and have watched the instructional video. Tobias Dostal has put together a brilliant, beautiful magical effect. The gimmick is extremely well-made and durable, and in the hands of a skilled magician or puppeteer, the effect I'm sure will get fabulous reactions. Is it worth the price? Yes, it would be worth it at twice the price--if you put the time and effort in to perfect your performance of it: getting the handling right and making it into a powerful effect will require real practice (like all strong magic).

I do however want to note some important performance limitations for someone like me who has small hands and a LARGE LG/Android phone (3.5" x 5.74"). There is no way that I can see to do the animation efects, e.g. in which an empty hand suddenly produces a card or rose. To be able to do that, the thumb of your hand holding the phone MUST be able to reach to the other side of the phone. So if you want to know if you can perform those particular effects, try gripping your phone and see if you can touch your thumb to your middle finger. If you can't, then you cannot perform them. In my case, given my phone and hand size, I fall short by a full 1" in making that connection.

It's always a bit disappointing when a new gimmick comes out that hasn't been tested to see if everyone can use it (in this case, people with smaller hands and/or larger phones). I understand that not every gimmick can be made to suit every person's physiology, or every device. However, I feel that these limitations should at least have been acknowledged in the instructions and appeared as a caveat in the advertising.

This drawback aside, however, Silhouette is a truly astonishing effect, and I recommend it.
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Loyal user
Santa Barbara, CA
270 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
I like this a lot, and see this as a purely beautiful performance piece. The more you put into this one, the more you will get out of it. I think those that spend the time on figuring out the subtitles will be rewarded with a truly magical moment that is not meant to fool, but to entertain. Something that I often find stays with spectators longer and what most of them will remember years from now. Any person can learn to execute an effect, but those that will be remembered for it are the ones that learned to perform the effect. If you liked the promo video, order this, then take some time and enjoy creating something beautiful and different. Congrats Tobias
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Elite user
If only I didn't have a wife and kid I would have MUCH more than
467 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2019, Melies wrote:
Just received this and have watched the instructional video. Tobias Dostal has put together a brilliant, beautiful magical effect. The gimmick is extremely well-made and durable, and in the hands of a skilled magician or puppeteer, the effect I'm sure will get fabulous reactions. Is it worth the price? Yes, it would be worth it at twice the price--if you put the time and effort in to perfect your performance of it: getting the handling right and making it into a powerful effect will require real practice (like all strong magic).

I do however want to note some important performance limitations for someone like me who has small hands and a LARGE LG/Android phone (3.5" x 5.74"). There is no way that I can see to do the animation efects, e.g. in which an empty hand suddenly produces a card or rose. To be able to do that, the thumb of your hand holding the phone MUST be able to reach to the other side of the phone. So if you want to know if you can perform those particular effects, try gripping your phone and see if you can touch your thumb to your middle finger. If you can't, then you cannot perform them. In my case, given my phone and hand size, I fall short by a full 1" in making that connection.

It's always a bit disappointing when a new gimmick comes out that hasn't been tested to see if everyone can use it (in this case, people with smaller hands and/or larger phones). I understand that not every gimmick can be made to suit every person's physiology, or every device. However, I feel that these limitations should at least have been acknowledged in the instructions and appeared as a caveat in the advertising.

This drawback aside, however, Silhouette is a truly astonishing effect, and I recommend it.

Great point, Melies. Thanks for the heads-up.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4028 Posts

Profile of videoman
I have a ring stuck on the back of my phone, I wonder if that would make it easier?
I certainly cannot come close to reaching around the width of my phone and touching my fingertips. But using the ring I may not have to.

Just wondering this out of curiousity and for the benefit of others as I doubt I will be purchasing this.
Tyler Lunsford
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Tyler Lunsford
I just posted a review of this on my YouTube channel!

Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OWnO4FLf90

Hope you find this helpful Smile
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Three second hand ones up for sale already
dmoriarty1
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2019, cardbiker wrote:

Yikes.
dmoriarty1
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2019, Tyler Lunsford wrote:
I just posted a review of this on my YouTube channel!

Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OWnO4FLf90

Hope you find this helpful Smile

Tyler,

I appreciate reviews that aren't influenced by free merch sent by the manufacturers.

8.7? That's a pretty precise score. Smile Anyway, thanks for your honest review.

D.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4525 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2019, cardbiker wrote:

Actually I'm surprised there are not more for sale. Though it's a fantastic effect, as Mark from Saturn magic stated and Dave and Kaan in their reviews, this effect is going to take lots of practice and timing to get down. Most people will not put the time in to master it. If you do, you will have an amazing piece to perform.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Silhouette by Tobias Dostal (118 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20~21 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL