The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Types of effects/sleights you do NOT like to perform (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1450 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I agree the performer can make or break a trick. Saying the tricks don't matter is a ridiculous statement. Trick selection absolutely does matter. It's a combination of both that make it entertaining.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5972 Posts

Profile of magicfish
How do/did you feel about Carl Ballentine's trick selection?
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1450 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Im a fan of Ballentine. Also a fan of the amazing Jonathan. I love comedy as much as the next guy. We are talking about magic and trick selection though correct? Try entertaining a "paying" adult crowd with the rubber pencil, and the old pulling off the thumb trick as your opening routine and let me know how that works out for you.

If you had a really important gig or say your making an appearance on TV. Would you do a variation of the magic coloring book or would you do one of your signature pieces? Id say you would target the masses and do something a little more amazing than a simple magic trick. You would opt for something you can perform really well and is super strong.

There is a reason people consider certain tricks "strong" and worth studying. that's because the tricks themselves are strong. The performer just highlights them. And YES the performer can absolutely make a great routine fall flat. Some routines just cannot become blockbusters no matter how "great" a performer is.

IF you actually sit down and think about it. A performer chooses his routines and tricks based on the reactions he gets from an audience. If he's a great performer and does a routine that doesn't get the reaction he wants, over a period of time he may just drop it and add in something stronger. He's still a great performer, but chose to get rid of a weak trick.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5972 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I don't think it's worth the ink to state that certain tricks are inherently stronger, better than others. This is obvious.
But in the hands of a dull, boring, unskilled performer, the trick will fall flat. Whether it's Roth's Hanging Coins, Dingle's Rollover Aces, or the Broom and Egg Whap, or an origami bill.
Now, give a dynamite performer any of these, and I promise you, the audience, and the entertainment Booker, will prefer the skilled performer.
A rubber pencil, multiplying bananas a thimble, a magic square, a spelling effect in the hands of a good showman will always beat the strongest tricks in the hands of a dullard.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1450 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2019, magicfish wrote:
I don't think it's worth the ink to state that certain tricks are inherently stronger, better than others. This is obvious.
But in the hands of a dull, boring, unskilled performer, the trick will fall flat. Whether it's Roth's Hanging Coins, Dingle's Rollover Aces, or the Broom and Egg Whap, or an origami bill.
Now, give a dynamite performer any of these, and I promise you, the audience, and the entertainment Booker, will prefer the skilled performer.
A rubber pencil, multiplying bananas a thimble, a magic square, a spelling effect in the hands of a good showman will always beat the strongest tricks in the hands of a dullard.

Agree, but when someone says "it's the performer that's important, not the tricks" that's a laughable statement. Both are important and the trick DOES matter.
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks fellows for making my point. If you look at the old L n L videos, people were willing to put up with a lot. There have not always 100's of cable channels, so people were entertained easily back in the day, even with boring material. But now, people have changed. How? In their expectations of entertainment and their short attention span. To think otherwise is to be mentally challenged or just living in denial. There are certain tricks a charismatic performer can perform, like the rubber pencil and spelling tricks. But they will get paid for only one thing--not to come back.

Yes, great magic consists of the right tricks (and this can vary from one performer to the next) and also their ability to entertain an audience.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5972 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2019, Bobby Forbes wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2019, magicfish wrote:

Agree, but when someone says "it's the performer that's important, not the tricks" that's a laughable statement. Both are important and the trick DOES matter.

And when people say, it’s the tricks that matter, not the performer, it is laughable. And ridiculous
Kevin Janise
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Kevin Janise
The double undercut performed in the "standard" way, taking cards from the bottom and bringing to the top. Always looks fishy. Can do the same thing by taking cards from the top and moving them to the bottom so it looks more like a "normal" cut.

Kevin
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Hi Kevin, you are my type of magician. I also don't like doing anything that is unnatural, or rushed looking. I agree. It is better to make up your moves if you have to than to do things that just don't look right.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2529 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2019, Kevin Janise wrote:
The double undercut performed in the "standard" way, taking cards from the bottom and bringing to the top. Always looks fishy. Can do the same thing by taking cards from the top and moving them to the bottom so it looks more like a "normal" cut.

Kevin

I agree; the "standard" way doesn't look or feel right. I think it's better if it can be done as a series of small cuts from the hands to the table, performed as a casual background action.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."

-Pop Haydn
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8230 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I use the double undercut a lot. Never seemed to look "fishy" to anyone - ever - over the many decades.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
I don’t like trick involving letters or numbers written on cards. Signatures are fine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Types of effects/sleights you do NOT like to perform (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL