The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Astarte-Maid of the moon levitation. (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
Does anyone know if video exists of this levitation. John Gaughan presented it a few years ago at the history conference.
top_illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
USA
146 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
Irish_matt, I have good news for you.

Here is the link to the video of this levitation performed by Doug Henning ..

http://www.themagicdetective.com/2012/08......ion.html

and here is the article on John Gaughan ..

https://theaddiechronicals.wordpress.com......he-moon/
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
Thanks for your help.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Matt, I was the Tech Director for the Conference when John presented this effect with Tina and saw it many times from every angle. Although I know he has footage of it, I'm not sure any other video of it exists.
Ray Pierce
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
I've only seen a few photos of the performance but have no doubt it was quite spectacular. Thanks for your input, Ray.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I love the silk/ribbon tied hoops used in Astarte, Carmo's, etc.

Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
I found Jeffrey Atkins "Carmo's Mummy" performed on the Paul Daniels show. Not the smoothest of versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqxmXzO6......x=2&t=0s
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
387 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
WOW....thank-you Tommy!

Blair
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
John Calvert used this in early shows. The police closed him down once. His floating piano was based on it. The illusion used Small aircraft wheels. I got a look at the crane in Memphis when one of the travelers stuck open. It MAY be on the tape "John Calvert's Tribute to Houdini" although the show was advertised as "Dick Willum's Tribute to Houdini".
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Calvert did the floating organ even in his later shows. Lee Grabiel did the floating piano.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2021, hugmagic wrote:
Calvert did the floating organ even in his later shows. Lee Grabiel did the floating piano.

Calvert did "Lady Godiva", over the crowd, in his early shows, the authentic costume was what Fran Ireland didn't like. Calvert would get closed down on opening night, then sell out the week. Of course, everything was patched with the police in advance. People used to be smart.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Jonah_Illusionist
View Profile
New user
Saint George, Utah
23 Posts

Profile of Jonah_Illusionist
Does anyone have anymore information on this illusion? are there any books that talk about this? does someone own the rights to it? I couldn't seem to turn up anything.

thanks,

Jonah
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
I believe the patent and drawings are out there online. I stumbled on them once but don’t remember where.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
After seeing it many times the machining and mechanics would require a level of skill that is virtually unknown today. That might be the reason that John Gaughan was one of the few willing to tackle bringing it back to life.
Ray Pierce
Jonah_Illusionist
View Profile
New user
Saint George, Utah
23 Posts

Profile of Jonah_Illusionist
I was able to find the patents after searching for a bit, I found the links to them on the Magicpedia website.

Thanks for the help,

Jonah
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On May 4, 2021, Ray Pierce wrote:
After seeing it many times the machining and mechanics would require a level of skill that is virtually unknown today. That might be the reason that John Gaughan was one of the few willing to tackle bringing it back to life.

John Gaughan is a MASTER builder! He was the genius behind taking Peter Foy's Track-On-Track system and converting it to D.C.'s Flying! Foy is famous for creating the Peter Pan illusion.

Doug
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Doug Henning told Mary Martin that he did not use the Foy system.
https://www.pinterest.se/pin/200691727130701114/
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On May 7, 2021, ringmaster wrote:
Doug Henning told Mary Martin that he did not use the Foy system.
https://www.pinterest.se/pin/200691727130701114/

I’m not sure where Doug fit in. The Astarte is totally different than any Foy system that has ever existed. As far as David’s “flying” is concerned, I’m really not sure that Foy’s track on track compensator system had any actual inspiration for John’s design for “Flying” outside of it also being a multi axis rig.
Ray Pierce
Philip Hitchcock
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Philip Hitchcock
Here's the patent from 1889. Enjoy.

https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&......00415084
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Astarte-Maid of the moon levitation. (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL