The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Which hand? giveaway (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
423 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, IAIN wrote:

In my opinion, and it's unfortunate, but Arthur has gone to market first and its not been in print before, so in this case, Arthur is first.

And I agree, it's independently created.

So if you release yours, then maybe its best you both credit each others routine and leave it at that. Cite the differences and similarities.

That's my view, based on others releasing things that are very similar to some of my things. And vice versa.

Thank you IAIN for answering!

Yeah, that's how it will be, Arthur will release his Routine on his own.

When he has published it, I will think about whether I also want to sell my approach or if I simply share my handling (which is developed for stage performance and includes several additional mind reading "reveals" instead of a prediction) with the owners of Arthur's product...

In any case, this is a really flexible and practical concept, If you don't get the link from Arthur, make sure to check it out when it's out. Smile
Penduluminary
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Penduluminary
This is one to use. Visual and fun. Great video presentation. Thanks Arthur!
Arthur T
View Profile
Regular user
Wales,UK
151 Posts

Profile of Arthur T
Thank you for being such a gentleman Alex!

If you want to release your own thoughts on the concept in the future you definitely have my blessing and encouragement, It certainly can be taking in so many directions.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I haven't seen Arthur's routine (or requested it) so I can't comment on how similar/dissimilar the two may be, but I can verify that Alexxander shared his routine with me roughly two years ago. I thought it was an interesting and practical bit of work and told him as much.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
50 / 50, big deal.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Arthur T
View Profile
Regular user
Wales,UK
151 Posts

Profile of Arthur T
Hey ringmaster,

If you want to see the effect just send me a message. The effect definitely isn’t 50/50. I have know idea what the odds are with this but it would be high!
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, ringmaster wrote:
50 / 50, big deal.

Im guessing you havent seen it? This particular routine is far from 50/50, that's one of the things I really like about it. So, that comment made you look a bit daft to be honest!
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I've just finished watching Arthur's video.

A few thoughts:

The core concept which makes the routine work is precisely the same as Alexxander's. Without it, neither routine will function.

When Alexxander shared his routine with me two years ago, he told me that he'd already been using it for some time in his shows which is the reason why he wasn't keen on publishing it - he wanted to keep it as his own. It's unfortunate that the routine has now been made available and I feel for him in this regard. That's one of the concerns with holding onto one's material for too long - someone else may independently come up with the same idea and beat you to publication, and when they do, it can often become 'messy'. It's nice to see that both Alexxander and Arthur have handled the situation with grace and dignity. My hat's off to both of you.

That said, it's nice to see Arthur continuing to share here. I think it's fair to say that I know all too well that it can be a lot of work to do so and I applaud his spirit of generosity. In fairness, Arthur has offered a few touches of his own to the idea which clearly indicate that it most certainly is a case of independent creation.

I've performed this routine a number of times since Alexxander first confided with me and it really plays very well - I love it. In fact, I was jamming with Alain Nu last year on the subject of the 'Which Hand' plot and had to bite my tongue so as not to tip this routine after he shared an idea that Raj Madhok passed on to both of us. It provides an additional powerful kicker and fits this perfectly. I'd love to say a little more about it, but I'm not at liberty to as it isn't mine.

If I may, I'll offer a little tip: The peek used here certainly works fine, but it would be much better if you never had to take the billet behind your back at all. I use Docc's Switchblade peek for this purpose. It offers a slightly larger amount of viewing/writing space and is done completely in the open with the billet at your finger tips. Best of all, it is easy to cover from any angle and the participant knows that the info is 'locked'.

Check out Docc performing the move in 'real-time" here:

Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Same.

But just to be clear...Alexxander was doing this first - and in actual shows. He wrote it up and sent it to me over two years ago. I think that's important to note. I don't buy into the whole "Well so and so wrote it up first" nonsense if one has proof that it's been done before.

Not to take anything away from Arthur's generosity here, but a fact is a fact.
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
423 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
Thanks for your kind words, Sudo.
The routine has actually changed quite a bit since I shared it with you, but I am very happy to hear that you performed it Smile

The idea of Raj Madhok sounds intriguing... you are teasing us! Smile

Another idea to consider:
This method also works very well for a prevaricator-type routine - instead of two hand, you can use two people!
The lie detector plot fits very nicely, it's 100% surefire and you have a succinct climax. Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Same.

But just to be clear...Alexxander was doing this first - and in actual shows. He wrote it up and sent it to me over two years ago. I think that's important to note. I don't buy into the whole "Well so and so wrote it up first" nonsense if one has proof that it's been done before.

Not to take anything away from Arthur's generosity here, but a fact is a fact.

its the way though...and imagine telling someone like millard longman that you'd been using A.N. four years before he put out his work...
I've asked to be banned
Arthur T
View Profile
Regular user
Wales,UK
151 Posts

Profile of Arthur T
The principle in play I've been using for a very long time (I used it in a different way along time ago with a drawing dup/imp pad) so It unclear to say whos been using first. I started using it after seeing Colin Mcleod Penguin Live lecture which I think was out in 2013 although I think I probably had the idea a little later sometime around 2014. Regardless it doesn't matter, the giveaway has ended as it not fair on Alexxander to give our shared idea away.
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
Nobody ever believes me when I tell them Jim Morrison was crouched outside my front door with his ear to my letterbox when I wrote riders on the storm. When they point out he died over ten years before I was born its clear to me that they are just cynical naysayers with a hidden agenda. What can you do?!
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
That's probably the best idea Arthur. Perhaps the two of you can collaborate and release it together. I'm not disputing when you conceived the idea. I was simply pointing out that the idea had been shared privately by Alexxander long before you shared your work here - that's all. Frankly, I dislike being caught in the middle of this. Best of wishes to you both.

Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, Alexxander wrote:
This method also works very well for a prevaricator-type routine - instead of two hand, you can use two people!

The lie detector plot fits very nicely, it's 100% surefire and you have a succinct climax. Smile

That's precisely how I was framing it as well, Alexxander. I really wish I could share the Madhok idea with you because it ties into this beautifully. Some kickers are anti-climactic or are simply tacked on "because they can", but with this one neither is true; it perfectly supports the premise and is entirely logical.
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
423 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
Ahhh, come on, let's not debate any longer about whose routine it is.

It is now simply an idea for all of us to enjoy and play with!

Arthur and I have an agreement, I will be credited and all is fine.

Yes, we both came up with it - but Arthur already filmed a really good video which is ready to go.
I don't even have the resources right now to produce such a high quality release.
At some point in the future, when I get around to writing it up again, I will offer to share my own ideas on this concept with the community, and that's that. Smile

Now back to topic :O
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Nice to see some civility around here!
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:

Perfect. Smile
Shaukat
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Shaukat
Quote:

Now back to topic :O

Alexander... You are a Gent!

I like this plot (and murder mystery) a lot and try to explore it as much as I can. Arthur was very kind to share it with me. It's a very well-structured routine that I'll definitely perform. I was aware of the main idea, but I could never justify its usage. Arthur's choreography takes care of everything perfectly. But, that's just one part of it. The entire routine is well thought out and it's obvious that Arthur has been using it for a long time.

Thank you so much for sharing it with the community Arthur. Much Appreciated.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, bevbevvybev wrote:
Nice to see some civility around here!

+ 1
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, Arthur T wrote:
Hey ringmaster,

If you want to see the effect just send me a message. The effect definitely isn’t 50/50. I have know idea what the odds are with this but it would be high!

Arthur, thought you might like to know:

The effect breaks down to a 6.25% chance of being successful under the conditions you have detailed - for the one aspect.

For the other part? Supposedly impossible. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Which hand? giveaway (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL