The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Any Card by Richard Sanders (130 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..19~20~21 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4153 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2019, tomdeg wrote:
I may remake mine with marked cards!! (Penguins Elite marked deck would be perfect.)
Those that own Any Card, think about it...

I've made up a few different versions of this. Not to try and "improve" it or anything because it doesn't need improving IMO. But only because I am a bit fascinated by Richard's brilliant method and I love to tinker around when I have the time.

Anyway, one of the versions I made up uses 4 "random" cards instead of Aces, and also uses DMC Elites for the "backs" (the DMC's are marked of course, and the only ones I can read without a magnifying glass) and I must admit that I have gotten somewhat addicted to this small advantage. Which is certainly not necessary but can get habit-forming quickly. Smile

Again, Richard has come up with what I feel is destined to become a classic. I realize that sounds cliche but I predict they will still be selling these decks long after we are all gone.
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
I’ve made my deck up using Ted Lesley’s marking system works perfectly
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
632 Posts

Profile of egoli
Just received Any Card and will be watching the downloads and preparing the deck this afternoon. Rich - sent you a message - please read your PMs

Ed

Quote:
On Jul 5, 2019, Richard Sanders wrote:
Hey Gang,

For those of you celebrating Independence Day, I hope you had an awesome day Smile

Here's another testimonial for Any Card, that I received via email the other day...

"Having been interested in the art of card magic since the age of 7, five decades later I have purchased the best card effect ever to come on to the market. Without a doubt this is the most easy to handle effect that has ever entered onto the 'palms of my hands'
I have a collection of at least 1500 card effects. ANY CARD tops them all. The best money I have spent on card magic for many years. Congratulations on a great, easy to perform miracle."
Nigel Ford MMC.

Rich
bob44leo
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of bob44leo
Received my deck a few days ago and have it setup. Truly outstanding effect. You can hand the aces out but, of course, not the deck. Richard put a lot of thought and strategy into the deck development and presentation. Took about 30 minutes to set up with Richard's excellent video. Delighted I made the purchase and will order another as a backup!
LarryD
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of LarryD
I was amazed at how reliably one can handle the cards in the "RS" (for Richard Sanders) deck as I've had considerable problems with traditional RS decks. Now,if I could only learn how to make my penmanship somewhere near the quality of that shown on the video it would be a blessing. I expect I'll be purchasing a few one-way FD's before I'm satisfied with the end results.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4153 Posts

Profile of videoman
Another very handy benefit of the Aces not being treated and yet another way in which Richard has really thought this through so well.
Definitely less stressful for those of us whom are handwriting challenged that when marking the cards you know you could always just grab another out of any matching standard deck.
LarryD
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of LarryD
One "puzzlement" that I have is the reason for the increased use of sites from which buyers of effects cannot download the instructions to their own computers. It's kind of a hassle to have to go online anytime you want to check some detail of the handling or performance. I don't understand the what advantage this provides either the creator or the marketer(s) of effects. I understand it is actually copyright infringement for one to make an additional copy of instructions that have been downloaded if one wishes to sell (or gift) an effect to someone else; whereas it's no problem to simply provide the password to someone else if you also provide the necessary props.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
2938 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I agree it’s hassle and I hate it . I want a physical dvd and full written instructions as well .
I write up all my effects fully these days as it helps when these tutorial links often fail and it’s very appreciated if I ever sell an effect on .
It is however an unnecessary pain and the way they have it now anyone can just share the passwords to others who then don’t even need to buy the effect which makes no sense to me at all . Rant over good magic to all Gaz 🙂
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
526 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2019, LarryD wrote:
One "puzzlement" that I have is the reason for the increased use of sites from which buyers of effects cannot download the instructions to their own computers. It's kind of a hassle to have to go online anytime you want to check some detail of the handling or performance. I don't understand the what advantage this provides either the creator or the marketer(s) of effects. I understand it is actually copyright infringement for one to make an additional copy of instructions that have been downloaded if one wishes to sell (or gift) an effect to someone else; whereas it's no problem to simply provide the password to someone else if you also provide the necessary props.

Amen to this....I really need to start paying more attention to this. If its streaming only I'm not a buyer anymore. My internet connection just does not stream well with these sites (surprisingly Youtube and Netflix are fine). It literally took my HOURS to get through all the videos for Any Card - it plays for 15 seconds then buffers for 50 seconds. Not worth the frustration...And its annoying that the owner cant trust me enough to own something I payed for.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
632 Posts

Profile of egoli
Doesn't bother me - I can find the instructions much quicker if they are on my computer as opposed to looking through drawers for written instructions or even DVDs. I download all the instructions using a variety of apps for my browsers - YouTube, Vimeo, whatever are all no problem. I didn't bother downloading the instructions for Any Card as many of the videos involved the one time setup of the deck and then the performance instructions are pretty straight forward. I'm lucky in that I have a really fast Internet connection.

Ed
Recoplon
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Recoplon
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2019, dman11 wrote:
It literally took my HOURS to get through all the videos for Any Card - it plays for 15 seconds then buffers for 50 seconds. Not worth the frustration...And its annoying that the owner cant trust me enough to own something I payed for.

You mention "all videos". How many videos are there?
LarryD
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of LarryD
"Doesn't bother me - I can find the instructions much quicker if they are on my computer as opposed to looking through drawers for written instructions or even DVDs. I download all the instructions using a variety of apps for my browsers - YouTube, Vimeo, whatever are all no problem. I didn't bother downloading the instructions for Any Card as many of the videos involved the one time setup of the deck and then the performance instructions are pretty straight forward. I'm lucky in that I have a really fast Internet connection."

Ed
But that's exactly the point I'm trying to make...if the instructions are actually ON your computer because you've downloaded them TO your computer, it's much quicker to refer to them than it is to go back online no matter how quick your internet connection may be. It would be easier to understand if preventing download to one's computer actually afforded additional protection for the creator, but it's much easier to provide a password to someone than to provide an unauthorized copy of the instructions.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
632 Posts

Profile of egoli
Quote:

19 altogether! Some are just a couple of minutes while a few are 8 or 9 minutes long

Ed
blurrylines
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of blurrylines
Quote:

19 separate videos ranging from 1 - 12 mins. If you take too long or grab a glass of water, your session ends, and you have to re-enter your PW constantly. It's pretty annoying.

Quote:
But that's exactly the point I'm trying to make...if the instructions are actually ON your computer because you've downloaded them TO your computer, it's much quicker to refer to them than it is to go back online no matter how quick your internet connection may be.

This is exactly right. I don't know about others, but I don't practice magic on my office desk where my computer is. I practice it in front of my big screen in the living room with my close up pad and/or my table. Although technically, there are a bunch of free browser plugins, and free open source programs to quickly and easily download the vids.

Quote:
It would be easier to understand if preventing download to one's computer actually afforded additional protection for the creator, but it's much easier to provide a password to someone than to provide an unauthorized copy of the instructions.

Correct. URL and password can be sent via email and text very easily and instantly to 10 - 15 people. A DVD, or a massive download is more difficult to transfer to mass people (but still reasonably simple). What creators need to realize is there's NO WAY to protect it unless you're like Michael Weber. He shows you his effects live, in person, at conventions, and that's it, then provides written instructions. He won't let you record his presentation with your phone. Now THAT's how to protect it. If that business model doesn't work, simply provide it in the format that's easiest for the consumer. Murphy's, VanishingInc, Penguin, Alakazam, etc understand this.

In the computer industry we call it "security theater". All this does make a person "think" they're protecting something when they're merely being annoying. Of course they will say it's "what's best for their customers" or that the change is "due to overwhelming requests from customers" even though there's an forum of customers complaining about it.

Regardless of the annoying instructions. It's a great trick.
LarryD
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of LarryD
"Regardless of the annoying instructions. It's a great trick."
Amen to that! My observation certainly wasn't an indictment of the effect or of Mr. Sanders choice for distribution, but actual puzzlement why more and more creators are choosing this method that has no obvious (to me) benefit to them and is certainly an impediment to many of their customers.
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
526 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2019, LarryD wrote:
"Regardless of the annoying instructions. It's a great trick."
Amen to that! My observation certainly wasn't an indictment of the effect or of Mr. Sanders choice for distribution, but actual puzzlement why more and more creators are choosing this method that has no obvious (to me) benefit to them and is certainly an impediment to many of their customers.

Well, they think its going to stop China from getting a copy of it and selling it cheaply. FYI: it does not stop them or any of the pirates.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4153 Posts

Profile of videoman
It's the unfortunate truth of almost all of these anti-theft measures...they only annoy and frustrate the vast majority of honest users while doing nothing to stop or deter the relatively small number of thieves. But companies feel they must at least give the appearance of doing something to protect their copyright.

A few may also claim that it benefits the consumer by allowing the creators to add additional material if some is later created but this almost never happens.
Richard Sanders
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sanders FX
161 Posts

Profile of Richard Sanders
Seems people are loving Any Card…which is awesome!!!

Here’s another quick testimonial:

"You. Are. A. *&*£&#%. GENIUS!!!
To think the idea for Any Card has been under magicians’ noses this whole time but you made it a reality.
You’ve created something brilliant!"
Jon Allen

I also noticed that some people are concerned or having an issue with online instructions.
I wanted to help you understand my decision to deliver information in this manner.
It’s not my intent to comment more about this subject after this as I think the thread should be used to talk about people’s experience with Any Card, the effect and content…not the way the content is being delivered.

Here are my reasons for choosing online instructions.

1) This is the present day way to deliver information.
Look at Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc….almost all delivery of information is online.
Like it or not, this is the way things are done now and it won’t be turning back. Information is becoming more and more cloud based.

1) I wanted to have a way to deliver the information in “easy to navigate chapters”, like a course.
I hate sifting through a 2 hour download where everything is in one file (on one long timeline). It becomes very difficult to get to the info that you need.

2) Most people I talk to have so much information clogging up their computers that it’s a relief not to have to store another file somewhere only lose it down the road, due to crashed hard drives, lost files, corrupt files, etc

3) DVDs are no longer a viable option. DVD players are hard to find now because they were on their way out a long time ago (remember Blockbuster). Computers have been without DVD players for at least 5-7 years now.

4) I like to be able to add material to my projects, again like an ever-evolving course.
In fact I will be adding some new material and shared material to Any Card shortly. This would not be possible with a static download.

For these reasons, I chose to deliver my very detailed instructions via an online website. In the past I delivered it via a much for involved process and it had a few problems. I learned from that experience so now I have my files hosted on VIMEO, one of the most trusted video delivery platforms.

My goal is to provide the easiest environment to learn in. I understand that I cannot please everybody.
I am not trying to create enemies. I am just a creator working hard to provide a solid experience for my customers. Am I perfect, NO. Do I work hard at bringing amazing, practical material to my clients backed by awesome customer support, YES!

I hope that helps explain my decision.

Rich
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5288 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I don't agree with your reasoning, Richard, but since I simply download the videos from Vimeo it isn't a problem for me.

Thanks.
Jim
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of Joemv
The on line videos are no problem for me at all. Keep up the great work Richard. Any Card is a “killer” effect.

Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Any Card by Richard Sanders (130 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..19~20~21 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL