The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Any Card by Richard Sanders (122 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..16~17~18 [Next]
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1222 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
Doesn't this seem like the kind of effect where people are immediately going to want to see the cards ?

Exactly my thoughts on it.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4183 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
People never asked to see the cards during Deep 3 by Bro Gilbert, doubt they’d ask about this.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3090 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I'd suggest everyone check out the the recent articles on examinability in social magic from.... a certain (apparently controversial) iconoclastic magic blogger whose name starts with A.... Can't link cause it's a no no here.
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
2776 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I love Richard Sanders creations but to me this seems very very obvious and very easy to make up a deck yourself with something we all know .
Lots of effects deploy the repeating words ( The and Of ) and I personally think there is nothing new going on here .
It’s just my opinion as I haven’t seen the method but on one viewing of the demo tells me that I could easily make a deck up that achieves this , it also tells me I wouldn’t want to anyway as there are way better effects already out there using a very similar principle imho Gaz 🙂
btwigg
View Profile
Regular user
Redlands, CA USA
171 Posts

Profile of btwigg
I know its different but this reminds me of Red Hot Prediction by Cameron Francis.
JasonL2112
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JasonL2112
So much this....

Now, if you REALLY love this effect, consider Greg Wilson's Cold Case (or Christian Engblom's The Cooler) a necessity (unless you have your own deck switch that you're VERY comfortable with.

That said, I personally don't think this is strong enough to carry multiple decks with regardless, but that's clearly a matter of opinion.

Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
I'd suggest everyone check out the the recent articles on examinability in social magic from.... a certain (apparently controversial) iconoclastic magic blogger whose name starts with A.... Can't link cause it's a no no here.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, Dominic Reyes wrote:
In this routine, a deck isn't perceived to be used. The magic is happening with just 4 playing cards... The heat is on them.

That's a little disingenuous. The magic doesn't really happen with four cards. It happens with four cards pulled from A DECK. And those cards are pulled from the deck AFTER their card is named. That's going to put a little more heat on the deck for some spectators.

However with the focus on the aces you should be able to switch the deck before the climax, if you feel the trick is worth carrying around a one-trick deck for.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3090 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I mostly do stage/parlor mentalism, and the card stuff I do is mostly memdeck work, so I'm admittedly kind of just doing the armchair thing here.... but decks that are literally a one-off trick really need to be pretty strong or unique in order to justify the use.

I actually think that the standard Ultra-mental(aka Invisible) or Brainwave decks is stronger and much harder to backtrack.
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5284 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I know its going to be good because its Richard Sanders.....im going to carry this at the Reel Magic Marketplace.....
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16928 Posts

Profile of joseph
What if they name an ace?
I guess it will still work. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
fcchief1
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Can see how this would work. Guess after taking the 4 cards out, pocket the deck, then if specs want to see the deck pull a regular deck out of your pocket and let em have at it. I do mostly walk around and usually have at least 2 decks with if not 3 for various effects. Yeah making a deck like that might not be that hard but I will support the creator.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1598 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Well I’ve never been disappointed by anything from Sanders.
I think, though, it better be clever for a $40 deck, lol
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6898 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I don't own the effect but have a fairly good idea of what's going on.

Couple of things:

Not deceptive advertising. You could easily show the Aces, then have them name their card and then remove the Aces. Think about it...

Second, why, oh, why would there be any heat on the deck? Come on, guys. They name a card. You spread through the face down deck and show 4 reversed Aces. No other cards are face up. Then remove them and do the reveal.

There would be zero interest in the deck because there were NO OTHER FACE UP CARDS. The cards that are important are fairly seen the whole time.

I think this looks brilliant. Richard always structures his routines very well. There's no way this will be less than a terrific effect.
TRI-EFFECTA: Three Close Up Card Miracles now available! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/tri-effecta.html
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4614 Posts

Profile of RNK
Totally agree Cameron.

After performing now for many years I can usually tell if an effect will work for me and my audience. I do believe this will be very strong and those reactions in the demo were no joke.
Mentalism
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Mentalism
Is it possible that I write the name of cards on the backside or are the names
are already printed on the backside?
o.
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of o.
It reminds me of Omen by Chris Congreave..?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4077 Posts

Profile of videoman
Reminds me of Omen too.
I love Sanders and I’m a sucker for these types of effects so I’ll almost certainly be picking this up.

I think people are too critical about demo vids in general these days. Admittedly, a few are horrendous which causes people to nit pick and find fault everywhere. We all know what is going on here, there’s no heavy deception.
Most of you are too young to remember the catalog descriptions of yesteryear. Now those were some real doosies! 😀
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1550 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Nobody asks to see your Invisible Deck, nobody thinks there are additional face up cards... A deck only has 4 aces, their brain can't move past that and even if it could, they would start thinking that you'd need SO MANY aces face up in the deck to have all of the possible card combinations that they could name (not the case, but they'd probably think that in the moment and dismiss that method).
Richard Sanders
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sanders FX
154 Posts

Profile of Richard Sanders
Hi everyone out there is Café land!

Man, I could use a coffee right about now.
I also just noticed that my avatar pic is way out of date. I haven't looked like that for 10 years!

Before I begin, I gotta say, I hate pipe dreams and impractical effects that can only be performed on Instagram or Youtube. The real thrill of magic comes when we share it with live humans Smile This is why I work very hard on my effects, with a clear goal to create REAL WORLD, killer effects that magicians will want to use.

Any Card has been worked and reworked for a period of 10+ years.
Yup, I started working on Any Card about the same time my avatar pic was taken, LOL!
The seed of this idea came to me well over 10 years ago and I have been refining it ever since.
I was never completely happy with it until I stumbled upon a few really powerful enhancements and new concepts which turned this into an organic piece of wow!

I wanted to discuss a few things that were brought up here on the Café:

First, Any Card is a strong and practical piece of magic that allows you to predict ANY CARD named or thought-of to be printed on the back of the 4 aces.
No Forces, an absolutely free choice of any card...and a super fast reset that's done right in front of the spectator.

"The effect" has been battle tested in the real world for years
"The method" has been re-worked many times over. There are a few special features worked into the deck and handling that will make you smile!

The Invisible Deck is a staple in most magicians repertoires, however, there's always that spectator who says, "you quickly flipped the card over!"
With Any Card, the prediction is undeniable as the name of their freely named card is PRINTED, IN BIG BOLD LETTERS on the back of the 4 aces in their own hand!

I was not satisfied with the standard R/S concept as the aces would not last long if they were constantly placed on the table or placed in the spectators hands. So I worked harder and came up with a different concept that allows the aces to be handled as much as anyone wants with no wear and tear on the effect Smile

When I first started working on ANY CARD, I too had magicians anxiety thinking that the spectators would want to examine the deck.
I had all kinds of clever deck switches in mind for this.
However, as I began performing this for people I discovered that no-one cared about the deck.

The effect is simple:
You hand the deck to someone and ask them to think of a card.
You look at them and say, "I flipped over the 4 aces in the deck you're holding because I'm pretty sure you're thinking of a ace, right?"
They say "NO, they're actually thinking of the six of spades!"
You then show them the 4 aces that you turned over in the deck (as you mention the fact that most people think of Aces) and casually put the aces in their hand.
At this point, they think you failed.
The effect is over to them. The deck is now an afterthought. The heat is off and the deck is out of play.
When the spectator turns over the aces in their own hands and discover that they SPELL OUT the name of their thought-of card, BOOM, mind blown!
This is a sucker punch that no one sees coming.

Any Card a one deck trick, however, the effect is so strong that it warrants it.
The ability to reveal any thought-of card "PRINTED IN ADVANCE" in the spectator's hand is an impossible dream effect of mine.
Any Card is a practical and powerful solution to this Holy Grail of an effect.

Regarding the demo. I think the demo gives an accurate description of the effect as there are so many ways you can perform this.
I stand by the demo as well as the effect. It's a real world miracle and I think you will have a blast performing it Smile

Within the project I explain 3 audience tested presentations for Any Card, ranging from simple for 1-2 spectators to bold and powerful for a room or table of spectators. One of my favourite approaches involves a prediction of ANY 4 OF A KIND and ANY CARD and both are revealed in the same deck!

If anyone has any more questions, please email me directly at info@sandersfx.com and I will be happy to answer any questions as best as I can.

Remember to HAVE MORE FUN performing!
Magic is meant to be shared.

Rich
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4077 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, Mentalism wrote:
Is it possible that I write the name of cards on the backside or are the names
are already printed on the backside?

You are almost always required to write on the cards yourself (or get your wife to do it like I do because she prints legibly.)

The fact that the ad copy says “customizable in other languages” is a sure sign that you better get your Sharpie ready.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Any Card by Richard Sanders (122 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL