The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard & Judy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

carlomagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of carlomagic
OK, I know there are almost too many Derren Brown threads already, but I couldn't resist sharing this with those who may not have seen it.

On a recent daytime TV show, Derren Brown was interviewed by Richard & Judy. (For all non-UK readers, they are a British celebrity couple with a cheesy type of chat show: Richard is famous for his unneccessary sexual innuendos and Judy is famous for revealing a breast during an award ceremony.) Smile

Anyway, it was a good interview, but at the end Richard says:

"Now I'm going to spring something on you because you got me with it last time..."

Richard pulls out a pound coin and immediately puts it behind his back.

"Which hand is it in?"

Derren replies:

"Why don't we put some money on it, say £50?" Reaches into his own pocket and takes out a wad of money, places £50 on the table.

Derren then goes into his patter about getting Richard to say "Yes" to "Is it in this hand?" (twice), before a dramatic pause and then...

"You are very good. Either I don't know or you don't have it in either hand."

Of course, Richard flung his empty hands out in disgust, screeching, "How the hell did you read that from me?"

This event made me laugh so much, and was worth watching just for Derren's big smile at the end.

Just thought I'd share it with you.

Best regards,
Carlo

P.S. There is a lesson in what to do when challenged there...
hjelm
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden, Borlänge
112 Posts

Profile of hjelm
Nice story. And it also tells us that money involved often makes things more interesting. If Derren hadn't make a bet the interest of the whole thing had become lower.

hjelm
Mystery
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Mystery
Cool. Shall we now start a thread on how Derren did it? (Kidding.)
Let your dreams tear apart your life, before your life tears apart your dreams...
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Now, behave yourself Mystery. Smile lol
Junta
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Junta
He must do it the Dario way, no gimmicks just real mind powers...
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
507 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
My friend works on the show and he said that Derren had already refused to perform. I think his words were, "I'm not a performing monkey." He said he was only there to promote the sceance. Oh well, they sprung it on him and he came out the better man. And the method, easy Richard is a plonker and Derren knew he would try to catch him!!

Curtis
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
Dario_Bauer
View Profile
Regular user
glasgow
109 Posts

Profile of Dario_Bauer
Darn right he did! My point exactly. All of those who rely on a gimmick would have been well and truly screwed.
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography"
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I am concerned that the Magic Café has a thread entitled "Richard & Judy". Luckily our American cousins have not been subjected to them so they won't appreciate how skin crawling it is to have to scan past it...lol.

However, saying that I have appeared on their show...lol
carlomagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of carlomagic
Salsa_dancer,

Tell us about your appearance on the show.

As for a thread called "Richard and Judy", I am sorry about that, I just thought another "Derren Brown does..." would have its own amount of "skin crawling". Smile

DangerMouse, Richard is a plonker, indeed, but don't worry too much about methods, it was just cool to see how DB reacted to the challenge, or as Phil Jay would say, how he beat off that snake.

Regards,
Carlo
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
"You are very good. Either I don't know or you don't have it in either hand."

Nice wording. Can't be wrong...but I guess he would have lost the £50 if he "I don't know" had been the outcome.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-05-21 10:46, carlomagic wrote:
Salsa_dancer,

Tell us about your appearance on the show.

As for a thread called "Richard and Judy", I am sorry about that, I just thought another "Derren Brown does..." would have its own amount of "skin crawling". Smile

DangerMouse, Richard is a plonker, indeed, but don't worry too much about methods, it was just cool to see how DB reacted to the challenge, or as Phil Jay would say, how he beat off that snake.

Regards,
Carlo

Not that exciting I am afraid, it was to do with dancing.
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
It was all done by pre-show work. He used an e********* c******** to find out what hand the coin was going to be in (if any). Then he induced Richard 30 mins before going on air, and told him to suggest the challenge. Pretty easy.
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Darko Dojin
View Profile
Regular user
DGAF
163 Posts

Profile of Darko Dojin
That's how it's done? Wow, and I genuinely thought Derren was using his 'advanced psychological techniques'.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Just to let you all know that Derren didn't use the e********* C******** because if you have seen his live stage show then you know that he doesn't use the C******** for that effect.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Actually Richard was paid £40 to be a stooge and go along with it. He met with Derren and his team at a warehouse earlier in the day. Smile
davidtan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of davidtan
You mean Richard fell for the Darren "10p to be a stooge" trick?
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1910 Posts

Profile of David Numen
He hypnotised Richard before the show and when he woke up he told him what to do...or else a post-hypnotic command would initiate that results in him trying to walk out of Sainsbury's with a trolley full of booze without paying...
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Quote:
On 2004-05-23 03:51, bartlewizard wrote:
He hypnotised Richard before the show and when he woke up he told him what to do...or else a post-hypnotic command would initiate that results in him trying to walk out of Sainsbury's with a trolley full of booze without paying...

ROFL Smile

Sorry to non UK residents. You just wouldn't get Bartlewizards joke there. Smile
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Quote:
On 2004-05-21 15:10, PRINCE wrote:
Just to let you all know that Derren didn't use the e********* C******** because if you have seen his live stage show then you know that he doesn't use the C******** for that effect.

I think you'll find he does use an elasticated crocodile in most of the things he does.
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard & Judy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL