The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your favorite way of invisibly reversing one card (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I am spending some time developing this and thought it would be wise to ask others who already have their favorite card reversal.
I am asking for something that is virtually invisible surrounded. I have seen some reversals that were fairly obvious from the front, etc. For me at least, the reversal in the Singularity Invisible Deck is fairly easy to spot on the video. I am not trying to criticize others, just trying to find some things to work with. I will also contribute items to the post as I research it. thanks.
Steve Malco
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Steve Malco
For me I get giddy when I use a "Browery Reversal", I remember being taught it by Gerry Griffin approximately 15 years ago and I fell in love with it.
Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whisky, and a dog to eat the rare steak. -Johnny Carson
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks Steve, I almost apologize for this post. I didn't realize Vinny had just posted his. But this is different. I am asking for a reversal that is virtually invisible, surrounded. Standing.

Here is a quote from another thread:
From what I have read about reverses, it's easiest and cleanest when you just Cop palm the bottom/top card with one hand, and with the other spread the cards out, showing them being a normal deck of cards. Then square the deck and put the deck back in your "copping hand" (reversing that Copped card).
I think it works fine for me, but thank you guys for your replies
cfirwin3
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, New York
233 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
If I wanted to be straight up invisible... no hint at strange moves... super clean and nearly hands off (as in setting the deck down immediately after reintroducing the target card)...

Honestly, I wouldn't reverse it at all. I would underspread force a dupe of an already reversed card, cut it back in, and then proceed to melt minds.

That's an invisible "reversal" with the EFFECT of "reversal" in mind.
This is like the concept of a bluff pass, which isn't a pass at all, but merely just seems to be.

On the other hand if you are looking for a utility move to accomplish something other than a super duper clean reversal effect, then I go with a reversal of the bottom card on an overhand shuffle (sometimes attributed as a Braue Reversal). You can absolutely do this standing, completely surrounded, on the premise that people can't see through your body... and there is no reason why you can't shift your position as you work.

Another sneaky way around the problem is once again to not actually reverse the target card... but to have an indifferent, already reversed card stand in for your target card and then switch it after extraction as you turn it face up for a reveal (via a DL or do it before with a top change, or second/bottom deal... just about any method to swap the fake for the actual card). I do an impromptu Thought-Of-Card Invisible Deck this way.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Just a note: Thanks Steve. According to a post in 2004, the Browery Reversal is actually the Braue Reversal mispelled. I quote " in Volume 7 I read the 'Browery Reversal' when it should be the 'Braue Reverse'." This is volume 7 of complete card magic with Gerry Griffin. Since then, it has been corrected.

"Another sneaky way around the problem is once again to not actually reverse the target card... but to have an indifferent, already reversed card stand in for your target card and then switch it after extraction as you turn it face up for a reveal (via a DL or do it before with a top change, or second/bottom deal... just about any method to swap the fake for the actual card). I do an impromptu Thought-Of-Card Invisible Deck this way."

Wow, cfirwin3 you are brilliant. I was wondering why this was not done in the invisible deck or brainwave. For the invisible deck, a card is turned face down. Then it is shown to be their thought of card. This would be easy if you have a good way to get ahold of that card. Just use any random card or a gaff card to show a card face down. But you would be burned a bit more since they had not seen the card. In a way, having the thought of card face up as in the brainwave would be the best way to get the heat off of a card switch. Because once they see a portion of that card, the trick is over to them.

I am still obstinately working on an in your face reversal while going through the cards. I almost have it. It should be pretty much angle proof.
Steve Malco
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Steve Malco
"Braue" not Browery. Thanks for the correction!
Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whisky, and a dog to eat the rare steak. -Johnny Carson
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of jcroop
Many like Ken Krenzel's "Mechanical Reverse"

Another simple method to leave the bottom card in your palm as you turn the deck over end for end on top of now reversed card. This may be the similar as the copping method above but I'm not sure as the turn over wasn't stated.
cfirwin3
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, New York
233 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2019, jcroop wrote:
Another simple method to leave the bottom card in your palm as you turn the deck over end for end on top of now reversed card. This may be the similar as the copping method above but I'm not sure as the turn over wasn't stated.

You know, I don't see why this wouldn't be nearly invisible from essentially all angles (assuming that you are standing and free to shift your position at will) if you just cradle the bottom card deeply in the hand as you turn the deck over SIDE to SIDE (rather than end for end). This motion has cover from every angle, because the card is buried and the deck is observably flipping. This is essentially the same thing as reversing on an overhand shuffle in that it reverses what was the bottom card and now places it on the top (with the deck ending face up... but you could just as easily start with the deck face up and end face down). You could even follow this with a quick spread for a last 'convincer' demonstrating regularity, retaining the flipped card in the final block of the spread. If turning the deck over has this kind of motivation, then this sort of procedure would essentially appear to be a "moveless" effect. The only issues to contend with would be prior control of the card to the bottom and then a follow up control to cut the deck (to centralize the flipped card). This is a "stupid easy" process, but probably as clean as it gets when you think about it. It's essentially still a form of Braue Reversal, where the deck (not the card) is being flipped.

I think it is cleaner and more burnable to revolve the deck over the card rather than revolving the card around the deck... or taking up otherwise empty space that would need additional cover with a half-pass or flipping under a spread. All you need is motivation to flip the deck over, and that's easy to justify.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
You can find a large selection of reversals, including many of those mentioned, in Card College books 2 and 4.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
My favourite way to reverse s card is to reverse the deck (ala Rosini)
I also like Cervon's M.A. Reverse, Jennings' Larreverse, Lorayne's Universal Reversal, Lorayne's RTP.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Absolutely. Some of the above just gotta' start reading the good stuff!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Jcroop and Cfirwin3,

In both of the methods you suggest, whether turning the deck end-to-end or side-to-side, how do you avoid the noise of the deck scraping against the bottom card? From your description, Cfirwin3, I gather that the bottom card is back in sort of a gambler's cop position? If that's the case, how do you get into that position without being observed?

Thanks,

Bob
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Bob, frankly, you mentioned the problems shared by the reversals mentioned or perhaps all reversals generally known to magicians. Either there can be or will be significant noise, or the reversal is visible, even if the magician is not aware of it. Because of that I developed a virtually silent and invisible reversal. Basically under conditions and simple handling of the deck that would make a reversal impossible. I wanted to really do the brainwave or invisible deck with no gaffs. perhaps knowing the order of the cards, which does not detract from the effect. But nothing else. So you have made a very important point. Just because you can get away with a reversal does not mean it is good stuff. I am looking for great stuff that I am never caught at. That is all I will consider using in my paid performances.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Automatic reversal - Ken Krenzal
Lakewood, Ohio
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Just do a double undercut ...
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Arthur, could you explain how to use a double undercut to reverse a card? I know the DU, but I'm not seeing how to do the reverse. If necessary you could PM me to avoid exposure.

Thanks for your help,

Bob
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
Bob, frankly, you mentioned the problems shared by the reversals mentioned or perhaps all reversals generally known to magicians. Either there can be or will be significant noise, or the reversal is visible, even if the magician is not aware of it. Because of that I developed a virtually silent and invisible reversal. Basically under conditions and simple handling of the deck that would make a reversal impossible. I wanted to really do the brainwave or invisible deck with no gaffs. perhaps knowing the order of the cards, which does not detract from the effect. But nothing else. So you have made a very important point. Just because you can get away with a reversal does not mean it is good stuff. I am looking for great stuff that I am never caught at. That is all I will consider using in my paid performances.

Wow you sure do invent a lot of new sleights.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Necessity is the mother of invention. It's not that I want to. I just don't believe, just because some video seller or book author recommends it, that it is actually invisible, natural, doable, and undetectable. It is a lot of work. But when it works it is really worth it, not to worry in a performance.

If I was just doing this for friends or a small group once in a while, it wouldn't matter so much.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Arthur, could you explain how to use a double undercut to reverse a card? I know the DU, but I'm not seeing how to do the reverse. If necessary you could PM me to avoid exposure.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

PM'd you. Bob.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
Necessity is the mother of invention. It's not that I want to. I just don't believe, just because some video seller or book author recommends it, that it is actually invisible, natural, doable, and undetectable. It is a lot of work. But when it works it is really worth it, not to worry in a performance.

If I was just doing this for friends or a small group once in a while, it wouldn't matter so much.

I hear ya. Those crowned heads of Europe deserve only the finest. Good on you for not settling for the feeble attempts at deception by Vernon, Miller, Hofzinser, Annemann, James etc. Sure they were clever, but we need stuff that actually fools people.
Can't wait for your book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your favorite way of invisibly reversing one card (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL