The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your favorite way of invisibly reversing one card (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
Necessity is the mother of invention. It's not that I want to. I just don't believe, just because some video seller or book author recommends it, that it is actually invisible, natural, doable, and undetectable. It is a lot of work. But when it works it is really worth it, not to worry in a performance.

If I was just doing this for friends or a small group once in a while, it wouldn't matter so much.

I hear ya. Those crowned heads of Europe deserve only the finest. Good on you for not settling for the feeble attempts at deception by Vernon, Miller, Hofzinser, Annemann, James etc. Sure they were clever, but we need stuff that actually fools people.
Can't wait for your book.
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
No it is not as you think. It is not a feeling of being entitled to something better. It is being humble enough to want to serve my paying customers without worrying about technique. I love to study masters. But when it came to an absolutely invisible card turnover with spectators a foot away and surrounded, it didn't exist. At least not something surefire and INVISIBLE. So I devised one where a card is contorted, half flips under a spread, and when squared, continues its turnover. Silently. It is very doable and repeatable. I never forget we all owe a huge debt to the masters. For magic to gain wider acceptance today, though, I think it is fair to say we need to upgrade both technique and entertainment value. The things that reign supreme today are phones and fb and "social" networking. A hard act to follow to those enslaved to it.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
"But when it came to an absolutely invisible card turnover with spectators a foot away and surrounded, it didn't exist."

Of course it exists. There are dozens of techniques perfectly suited to this.

Nothing wrong with coming up with your own stuff of course. I'm just concerned that since you are unaware of some of the best stuff in print, perhaps you are also unaware that your creations have already been created.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I also utilize Aronson's Head Over Heels concept quite often.
I've been using it for Simon's Two Card Transpo and for Ackerman's Double Reverse.
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Bah humbug. I have all the resources. This does not exist. Magicians are true believers many times. With sponge balls for instance, I created a gimmick that is so good it creates astonishment and sometimes fear. This would not happen with the normal assumptions. But you are right in your own mind I don't want to change it . NOthing can be improved. Just go to Harry Larry etc.

I do appreciate your ideas. It is just that I set high standards. Yes some reverses might be not seen by people. But they are not really invisible. Mine uses a concept that is inherent to the makeup of cards, but it has not been used before.

I appreciate your suggestions. Just that when you think that nothing significant can be improved, you are basically going against history.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
"Bah humbug. I have all the resources."
No you don't. Nobody does.

"This does not exist."
Yes it does. I learned it from Simon Aronson.

"NOthing can be improved."
Yes it can. Many things can be improved.

"It is just that I set high standards."
So do Michael Ammar, Max Maven, John Carney etc.

"But they are not really invisible."
Yes, many of them really are.

"Just that when you think that nothing significant can be improved.."

Again, nobody here said nor thinks that nothing can be improved.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1216 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Magicfish, Great Happiness! You referenced a method that's taught in a resource I already own!

See you,

Bob
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Glad to hear it Bob!
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
You did not read my post. Your answer does not deserve an answer. I will side with history, that things can improve when you set higher standards and innovate. This is nothing personal against those who have gone before. Magic must set higher standards with not only technique but also its ability to entertainment modern audiences. If not , it will die a slow death, which is what is happening now.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
DL to face up on deck. Turn deck, pull top card and replace. Cut. Done.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:

J.K. Hartman
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:

J.K. Hartman

Probably, but no need to quote the inventor of breathing.
The lungs do what they want autonomously.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Probably? No.

Breathing? I'm not following.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
I believe that reversal is Daley's.

Quote:
Probably? No.

Yeah, it's a clumsy metaphor that doesn't invite much scrutiny. Also, it's wrong. There's nothing wrong with thoughtfully crediting the inventor of anything — especially when the item in question is one of such ingenuity and utility as the Daley technique.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:

Quote:
Probably? No.

Yeah, it's a clumsy metaphor that doesn't invite much scrutiny. Also, it's wrong. There's nothing wrong with thoughtfully crediting the inventor of anything — especially when the item in question is one of such ingenuity and utility as the Daley technique.

I'm not a historian so I appreciate the footnotes and credits by the folks who've catalogued.
I considered this method a simple-solution that probably had multiple independent authors. I'm sure there are great subtleties to the handling in the literature.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:

Quote:
Probably? No.

(Fish on! Ahem)
Interesting. Which Daley technique are you referring to?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
"I believe that reversal is Daley's."

...better ask for your 5 bucks back.
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Here is the deal. It is one thing to have a reversal that is invisible or unseen. I had to develop a reversal that was impossible. Surrounded. Close up. turning over anything won't do. Why? It is for the invisible deck/brainwave. The way it should have been done from the beginning.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Interesting. And how do you know it is original with you?
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
"I believe that reversal is Daley's."

...better ask for your 5 bucks back.

Why?

It's the reversal Vernon uses in Twisting the Aces. I'm pretty sure Daley deserves credit for it, but am away from home at the moment and can't verify.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your favorite way of invisibly reversing one card (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL