The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Finders Keepers by Mahdi Gilbert (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Hope this is really impromptu.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11861

Mahdi Gilbert is known for his beautiful thinking, and his inventive card work. With Finders Keepers he applies a fresh twist on a classic coin effect.

In Finders Keepers the magician borrows a handful of change from a spectator. While the magician’s back is turned the spectator selects a coin and then mixes it back into the the rest of the change. Without any fishing or equivoke the magician is able to correctly identify the coin. The best part is there are no secret marks or gimmicks. All of the coins are actually borrowed. Finders Keepers is an impromptu miracle!

Finders Keepers is easy to do, and Mahdi teaches not only how to do this effect, but also tips some great presentational hooks and motivations so that you too can get huge reactions. Once you find out the secret you’ll know this trick is a keeper.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
583 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
If it is the same that he published before, Une pièce de monntaielism: Yes, it is impromptu. Yes it is worth the price. No, it's not new, but it has been forgotten. I think to remember that the one he published had three different phases (same effect under more difficult conditions). And, as I think it has been pointed out, it requires some confidence, there is a small chance of failure, specially if you doubt yourself.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3244 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Assuming it's the same method as "Une pièce de monntaielism" (it appears to be, albeit a different presentation), then it's definitely impromptu. It's also not 100%, there are some variables that could cause you problems. But it's 5 bucks I guess so perhaps it's worth it. It was previously given away free for joining his mailing list.
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
mag1cman
View Profile
Regular user
Has contributed a meagre
142 Posts

Profile of mag1cman
Does anyone know if this is reliant on American coins? Could the same thing be done with British coins?

Thanks
Steve H-B
*** Magic shouldn't be the only thing in your life BUT everything in your life should be magic! ***
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
583 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Assuming it is the same method he shared before, it should work with any coin. But different coins may behave a little differently so you should familiarize with the coins you plan to use. Again, just assuming it is the same method, I have not got Finders Keepers yet.
fireisyummy
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
I've known this method for forever and you do too. That being said I've never performed it because I never really had a strong enough presentation for it. Mahdi has done great work giving a really strong presentation as well as numerous important touches to one of the oldest tricks in the book.

That being said Mahdi spends a significant part of the video talking about his Titanic Thompson presentation and how important it is but yet its no where to be found. Even in the full videos you only get after buying the video its clearly cut out.

Mahdi also teaches his eq******* but he sort of glosses over the first several steps and then only does a good job explaining what you would do for the last few coins. If you would do it as Mahdi describes it would look very fishy at least half of the time. Mahdi clearly has more information on that. It looked much better when he performed it, but its a shame it wasn't shared. That being said, if you are experienced with eq******* you won't have a problem.

Another point is that there's a good reason why Mahdi does this with his nose, its much more sensitive, but that may not fit your persona at all. You can do it with your fingers but there's a greater risk of failure depending how your spectator holds it.

I have only tried this trick in my dining room and it worked perfectly every time. I'd be scared to try this trick outside in the summer or other environments like that without trying it there first.

All in all, a great improvement to an old trick. Mahdi is a very talented and creative magician and I look forward to seeing more releases from him.
fireisyummy
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2019, marc_carrion wrote:
Assuming it is the same method he shared before, it should work with any coin. But different coins may behave a little differently so you should familiarize with the coins you plan to use. Again, just assuming it is the same method, I have not got Finders Keepers yet.

I own it. You are correct. I don't have British coins on me but there is zero reason it wouldn't work with them. That being said, you are correct that you should familiarize yourself with them before performing with it (and you should also familiarize yourself with the environment. Although the trick is 100% impromptu I wouldn't try it in many environments without having tried it there first myself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Finders Keepers by Mahdi Gilbert (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL