The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are You a Skeptical Believer? (39 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
I knew/know a lot, trickery, deception, hypnosis & manipulation (TDHM).

I’m a skeptic because I know TDHM, only an illusion.

I was an atheist because I was an unbeliever.

Now I know TDHM modus operandi to know it’s all sci fiction and a believer of God.

Conclusion: Unbeliever of TDHM and believer of His Love.

NEVER thought in my life that I would be writing this lol

Amazing Life Smile

p.s. yeah I thought aswell that God was imagination... what I discovered is that was too hard for me to get real, escaping from reality to not deal with it was the easy path.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Waters.
This area of discussion is a tricky one (pun intended). My study of perception, suggestion and deception has made look at things through a very cynical lens. By this, I mean that I can see how many things can be explained by one of these areas.

But it also means that I am aware that our notion of “objective reality” is shaped by the lens, with which, we are looking at the world. There is no escape from subjective reality, nor confirmation bias due to the fact that we are interpretive beings and we cannot pry interpretation from observation. So, we are all holding to a truth claim of some sort. Mine is the same as Lseeyou, as I am a christian.

That said, this creates certain automatic misconceptions about what people think I believe. I am very skeptical about people who make claims as healers and such. I think much of the emotion driven (without reason) aspects of what gets labeled “faith” give me great concern. I would like to think I am a reasonable person, many may disagree.

As such, I make room for things I cannot understand completely, but am not easily swayed by something that I “see”. I hope this makes sense.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Waters. and Lseeyou, thanks for sharing. Appreciate your insights very much.

I'm christian too, and my faith has significantly impacted how I think about claims people make, as well as any claims I may make directly or even imply in my performance of mentalism.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Doxastically, the word “belief” doesn’t deserve to exist. Smile
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2019, Ben Blau wrote:
Doxastically, the word “belief” doesn’t deserve to exist. Smile

I am not going to lie. I had to look that up 😳
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1502 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Thank you for a new word Ben.
~note to self: do not play Scrabble with Ben~

As far as being a skeptic myself, there are things that happen which I have no explanation. I am open minded enough to allow for possibilities.
StevenScott
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of StevenScott
After reading reputable research from both the skeptics and believers camp I am of the opinion that some form of PSI is real. The meta analysis of all reputable research in this field over time reflects an almost billion to 1 odds against chance occurrence for positive results. The mathematical evidence for sci in individual test is very small but consistent over time. I think skeptics sometime move the goal post whenever there is a positive test result. Small results are still scientific results if you get the same measurement over and over and over again. In fact a few years ago a skeptical scientist repeated a peer reviewed psi experiment and got positive results. He has now started a movement to discover the "hidden flaw" in the statistical model that's been in use all these years. I first heard this story in a podcast with the late great Bob Cassidy and had to look it up myself. It's all true. In other words A skeptic accidently proved psychic abilities exist and is now looking for the problem with the math he used to prove it. For those that believe..etc etc
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8401 Posts

Profile of funsway
A bit of a story ...

All that sways

“If only telepathy was real!” The whispered plea echoed off the walls solid and imagined. Several others nodded in agreement.
Jessica was pleased that so many had come. She chuckled inside at the hypocrisy since few had come when she could still speak and move. Did they crave what she might say and felt guilt over not having asked or shared when they could? Or were they now secure in acceptance that she could never tell what she knew? Love or fear? What drew them now? She was far from death but understood that her paralyzed state was considered more dreadful than death for many. Her sister was a dancer. Perhaps that is why she had cried out.

“If you ask specific questions I can answer,” Jessica projected. A single tear welled up in her right eye when she thought “yes” and two when she thought “no.” But each grieving guest was too filled with themselves to either ask or see. “Look mom!” she prayed internally. “Remember when you would have me hold the Rosary and I could make the suspended Crucifix swing or twirl? You thought it sacrilegious – my laughter and not the actions I think.” From her propped position she could only see the window with its blind-filtered setting sun. Faces and forms and fumbling fingers were all around but she was not allowed to see. Actually, no one thought that she might wish to see them, projecting that she would be distressed by their closeness. “If only you had heard what I was saying! If only you would listen now!”

“I don’t know about telepathy but think it is kind of magical that the entire family is finally together again.” Jessica recognized Uncle Phil’s voice – not heard joking this way for more than twenty years. She did not have to see the reproachful glances.

“Yes, she thought,” and a single tear drop fell and the dangling beads in her mother’s hands swayed in sympathy. “You all create illusions rather than dealing with life as it is. Magic isn’t about tricks and deception. The magic is that you are alive to see something of awe and wonder and share it with one another.” An ancient song misted into her thoughts:
“Look at me, just look at me – I am here inside,” the Slave Girl Song.

The dangling cord on the window blind quivered a bit! Then it began to swing.

“Do you remember the stilts I made for you when you were ten?” asked Jimmy, searching for some moment of joy from their past.
“No,” responded the pendulum as Jessica recalled that the stilts had been made for a neighbor girl and she had not been allowed to try them.
The cord swinging in a circle went unnoticed and her two tears were quickly wiped away.

Another tune interrupted her discomfort as she reached out to her brother as best she could. “If you could read my mind, love – what a tale my thoughts would tell…”

Jessica chose to dream rather than attempt to communicate any more.
She sensed her soul suspended from a silver thread that stretched into a starry reach of ever.
She swung gently to and fro, every swinging, ever aware of the magic found in the ability to say “yes” again and again and again.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Funsway, what a hauntingly moving story. Thanks for sharing.
hotjacket
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hotjacket
Hmm, I've never experienced (or even heard of) anything supernatural, which can't be achieved by deception (or, perhaps, hypnosis, where miracles are a regular event). Which kind of makes it hard to believe...,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are You a Skeptical Believer? (39 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL