The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Grant" I think you will find it's pronounced (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peter Morrissey
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Peter Morrissey
Just chuckling at Derrens lightning quick quip to a chap in the miracle show about how he pronounced his name (Grant as opposed to Grawnt phonetically if you will) and made me think is it wonderful mindfulness like this to be so fast with a funny joke that adds to his aura of such a brilliant stage performer?

Gags like "louder please , I'm not a fing mind reader" brilliant though it is , is scripted where the other example is just brilliant on the spot ad Lib. I guess what I'm driving at also is how important it is to make em laugh as well as make them gasp.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2064 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Texture is very important. I think it's good to have laughs and those spontaneous jokes also show a bit of depth to the character being portrayed (even if the character is just 'you').

The key is knowing when the joke will enhance the show, and when it will destroy the atmosphere that's been built.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Elite user
If only I didn't have a wife and kid I would have MUCH more than
464 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
A twinkle in the eye and a sense of humour is what sets apart successful mentalists from the ones who struggle to get gigs. Just look at Derren & Lior Suchard. They are always open and cheerful. None of that overly serious tone of voice that many mentalists use. Which bores everybody to death, except for other mentalists. Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17828 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Dunninger didn't seem a barrel of laughs did he...
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2064 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I'm not positive Dunninger (or many of those from that time period) would do that well with contemporary audiences.

I agree with Brown when he said, to paraphrase, "A show should be a serious thing, but that does not necessarily mean somber." I think magic and mentalism both share a lot of traits with comedy, one of the prime being that all three involve the building and releasing of tension in specific ways. A well timed joke can really endear an audience to the performer.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17828 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Well, I'd say people relate and invest in story-telling the most, and all stories have arcs - some short, some long, all with (sometimes) multiple pay offs...same with jokes, and I think that's what so amazing about humour...is that we can sometimes do all those things in a very short amount of time and it can be all those things and sometimes even more... I think that's the power of humour...

I wonder what sort of jokes Dunninger liked? as for contemporary audiences, yeah, he may have struggled...but who knows, maybe there would be an old school vibe about it all that would make him cool amongst the millennials?
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of ed wood
It's almost as if Derren manages to interact with people like a normal human being. Something many magicians stuck behind their computers obviously struggle at. Have you ever been to a magic convention? Socially awkward anyone?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17828 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thankfully I've never been to a magic convention...
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

I would say that as far as social awkwardness goes mentalists are exactly like magicians. They're just more serious about it.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2879 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Lol Smile
Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Special user
919 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Here's a secret, EVERYONE is socially awkward in some circumstance. I'm sure if you asked Darren, he would say his is extremely socially awkward. He knows who he is, and he acts as that person, that is a super power.

To that "Grawnt" comment. I was looking for it but if you could tell me which show it is in that would be great. From what I remember an an American man says his name is "Grant" and Derren corrects him to pronounce it "Grawnt" to a laughing English crowd. If I'm remembering this correctly I groaned. Basically he intentionally insulted and lightly humiliated that guy. It's not deep, his intent isn't hurtful, but it's poor decorum to insult your guests. Please let me know which video it is on so I can make sure I'm commenting correctly.
Belief Manifests Reality.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014859756312
Palm Star Zodiac Divination System: https://palmstarzodiac.blogspot.com/
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17828 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ah matt, that's just a point of English humour... He's doing it to play on the sometimes pompous cliche that some have of the English... And especially as he's known to be mildly pedantic on such things...

It's the standard approach in the uk, if we call you a very rude word and take the mick out of you, we usually like you... Or testing the ground to see if you'd return the favour...
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Ah matt, that's just a point of English humour... He's doing it to play on the sometimes pompous cliche that some have of the English... And especially as he's known to be mildly pedantic on such things...

It's the standard approach in the uk, if we call you a very rude word and take the mick out of you, we usually like you... Or testing the ground to see if you'd return the favour...

I got it and thought it was funny. One of my son happens to be named Grant . It probably made the joke even more funny to me.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2064 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Matt - I think it's in Miracle? I recall it being the one on Netflix, which I believe is Miracle.

Brown will absolutely cop to being quiet and frequently uncomfortable in social situations. His stage persona is just that - a persona.

I don't think he was intending to insult the audience member at all. I took it as him poking fun at himself, which is something he does pretty consistently. When he first started doing the TV series he was kind of pretentious and overly serious. Then his humor started showing through and he started making fun of how serious and pretentious he was. It's not uncommon for him to make fun of how much of a star he isn't.

As a side note - this is exactly the kind of thing that makes me wonder how well he could do in the US. Americans frequently don't 'get' British humor and I am not sure he'll play as well state side. I saw Secret in NYC and the crowd definitely had mixed reactions to his style. I hope the Broadway venue suits him more.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17828 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Also, if we can get derren to stop you guys from mispronouncing Craig too, that'll be great...

It's not Kreg...

It's Crayg...
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Hey, the mods deleted my prostitute comment! I may have hit a nerve Smile
Peter Morrissey
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Peter Morrissey
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, Matt Pulsar wrote:
Here's a secret, EVERYONE is socially awkward in some circumstance. I'm sure if you asked Darren, he would say his is extremely socially awkward. He knows who he is, and he acts as that person, that is a super power.

To that "Grawnt" comment. I was looking for it but if you could tell me which show it is in that would be great. From what I remember an an American man says his name is "Grant" and Derren corrects him to pronounce it "Grawnt" to a laughing English crowd. If I'm remembering this correctly I groaned. Basically he intentionally insulted and lightly humiliated that guy. It's not deep, his intent isn't hurtful, but it's poor decorum to insult your guests. Please let me know which video it is on so I can make sure I'm commenting correctly.

Yeah on Miracle and yes he is totally just being a "cheeky chappy" no insult intended. He is playing up to image. It's so easy things get lost in translation. I still laugh at it. Now I have seen him be a bit crass at times and it wasn't funny. An older man was on stage and he was talking loudly and slowly to him, making him out to be ancient. Crowd didn't find it funny. That's the fine line I guess.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Grant" I think you will find it's pronounced (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL