The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Figuring it out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8333 Posts

Profile of funsway
Several threads recently have include a thought that as performing magicians or mentalists we have a need to "figure it out."
meaning, in pat, that we cna never enjoy an effect or demonstration as a lay person might. Not sure I agree, but...

just for fun

Figure it out.

The annual New Year dinner gathering was smaller this year. Momma had passed in June and Sean was overseas on some military venture with unfathomable purpose. So, the eldest daughter Leanne had prepared his favorite dish using Momma’s secret recipes. It was grand! The conversation was a blending of adjusted memories and contrived opinions and illusionary futures. Perhaps everyone enjoyed the evening in a different way, but all would place that night’s events in their mental basket of good things.

Yet, Carl had a pensive frown that gradually subdued the pleasantries. When asked he proclaimed, “I am just trying to figure everything out. These secrets are a challenge. I know that each of you is attempting to decide what spices were used in the sauce and whether Leanne stirred the pot in the same direction as Mom.” He was a performing magician and the family forgave him a lot – but this seems a bit presumptuous.

Leanne offered, “I love the smells when attempting to recreate the wonders of her cooking. I can feel her standing next to me. That is the secret.”

John joined in, “I don’t have to know how asparagus is grown or how long to steam it. I do know that the muffled swish I hear when eating it is special to this house and table. I have figured it out, Carl. Shut up and pass that platter.”

Carl persisted. “Everything wondrous or amazing in life has to be figured out, dissected and analyzed. That is the human way. You all just pretend to enjoy things in a simple way because you are too lazy to reason things out.” Now Pa was looking perplexed and all of the kids looked to him for guidance.

He placed his hand over Leanne’s affectionately. “Your mother and I used to discuss our wedding night, the wonders and mysteries and joys. We liked to imagine that Carl was conceived that night – an extension of the magic. Now it seems I can’t savor those memories without some cognitive angst. All right, what did we do wrong that Carl is the result of our love? Why not a real person instead of a pretend one?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4094 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I cannot help but think that many of us become magicians (performing or otherwise) simply because we enjoy puzzles and attempting to solve them. Therefore, whenever I see someone perform an effect, there will always be part of my brain that will want to see if it can figure it out. Only after I've seen it once, then I can sit back and truly enjoy the artistry behind the performance, allowing my suspension of disbelief to kick in and pretend the magic is real.

That being said, there are many laypeople who don't approach magic the same way we do, and instead can just relish the magic moments for what they are; a piece of theatre wherein the impossible is possible. In a way, I envy those people, who don't feel challenged by magic, and can just live in the world of make-believe, even if it is only momentarily.

There have been a few times when I have been so baffled by a performer's act, that my brain simply can no longer attempt a rational explanation, and that is truly a wonderful moment when I get to experience exactly what I imagine a layperson feels when witnessing magic. I treasure those moments.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11481 Posts

Profile of John C
I always watch live Magic, TV magic, YouTube magic demos as a laymen.

It's more fun that way. Besides I'm add and can't enjoy and suss it out at the same time.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Figuring it out (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL