The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking rings?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicsam
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicsam
I was at the blackpool magic convention this year, and saw Mark Raffles perform a stunning linking ring routine. It was really entertaining and he added humour into it (ie. the ring getting stuck on his jacket button, and then onto the chair, etc.!)

This made me think how much of a classic of magic this is, and that it would be really cool to be able to perform a good routine with it!
I have seen many types of linking rings available at many shops, but is there a certain make or set that are the 'best quality' and that the professionals use? (there's fakini for billiard balls, is there a 'professional' make for linking rings?!)

What is the best place to learn the linking rings? Are there any DVD's specifically for it (I have heard of Jeff McBride's ones, are they good?)?

Any help would be great!
Thanks.
Sam
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Here's a previous thread with a lot of information that refers to another thread with a lot of information.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......4&18

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Good post.

I have wondered the same things. I was talking to an experienced magicians and he some some things that are profound.

One is that "Magicians hate the rings but laymen love them." Meaning that if you are performing for your IBM ring, they all lean back and say...here we go again! But laymen always seem to love it.

A great approach at this is using Humor to LIVEN up your ring routine.

In fact, I just got a hold of some Quadro Vicious Circles which is barbed wire linking rings, and that should give me plenty of oppurtunities at humor.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
magicsam
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicsam
Thanks,
As I said, Mark Raffles was hilarious, and the magic was stunning as well!
I would love to perform a routine like that!
Where can I learn one like it? Does Jeff McBride go into detail with his dvd's, or would it be better to get a dvd specifically for the linking rings? What dvd's would you recommend?
Thanks.
Sam
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
McBride does a few moves on his Stage Magic video/dvd series. He also has a great transition from a rope routine to the rings by doing a giant ring on string routine. I personally have adapted part of Whit Haydn's wonderful audience participation routine with other basic moves. the wonderful thing, is, with both small and large rings, I can do the almost same routine for stage, parlor or table-hopping.
David
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-05-20 17:07, magicsam wrote:
Thanks,
As I said, Mark Raffles was hilarious, and the magic was stunning as well!
I would love to perform a routine like that!
Where can I learn one like it? Does Jeff McBride go into detail with his dvd's, or would it be better to get a dvd specifically for the linking rings? What dvd's would you recommend?
Thanks.
Sam

Go to http://www.williamsmagic.com

I recently had a conversation about which linking rings dvd/videos to check out. He has one in there that is based solely on Humor. email him and he will take good care of you.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13336 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I want to see this one...

Mark Raffles
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Stevens Magic has a "Teach-In" video on the Linking Rings. I think there are four very different performers there that should give you some ideas.

Featured performers are Richard Ross, Max Hapner, Jay Marshall, and Sammy Smith. Here's the link:

http://stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=952

Hope this helps,

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2075 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Magic sam me too I was very impressed with Mark raffles linking rings although I would of liked to see him do some other magic as well.

Matt
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What Raffles was doing sounds like a variation on George Blake's Perverse Ring routine. Two others that had much success with this premise include yours truly and the late Topper Martyn.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
I love that title: George Blake's Perverse Ring Routine.
Where can that be found?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
In my act!!! Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking rings?! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL