The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Artists Dream (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

UneasierQuill
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of UneasierQuill
Hello,

I've seen plans for variations of "Artist's Dream" on several online magic retailer sites, but don't know that I've ever actually seen the actual illusion. I have a few shows scheduled for end of year at an art museum, and while I don't usually do big illusions, thought this could be a nice effect to have. I have a competent prop builder who has handled much of my work in the past - flea circuses, teleportation devices, illusions, etc. Nothing likely as grand as this, but I've had some doll house illusions and such built by him before and have been satisfied.....

Point being... I can build the thing, just not sure if I need to. Does anyone have any video or info of what this actually "does." Not asking for methods or secrets - just a visual or such so I can see if this is something I even want to do. Product descriptions are obviously vague...

Thanks.
Zakari Asiago
View Profile
Regular user
Panhandle of Florida
183 Posts

Profile of Zakari Asiago
Youtube artist's dream illusion
Zakari Asiago

401 South Ave.

Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
There are lots of versions. Jim Steinmeyer “artists daydream” might be a good choice for you. It’s in Device & Illusion but you can maybe get just the plan from him? Not sure.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Steve Wyrick - Illusions in his Artist's Loft - Beautifully routined and skillfully performed. Worth watching on YouTube.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
There’s also a larger / more complex version called “Cubism” in Steinmeyers Technique & Understanding. Probably would want a pro builder for it and it would be crazy big to store/ travel with. But may give you ideas.

Also you could customize lady in puzzle to an art theme, that’s also in Steinmeyers Decice & Illusion
UneasierQuill
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of UneasierQuill
Thanks... I wasn't smart enough to add "illusion" to artist's dream when searching videos; and for the other posts with information and suggestions. Helpful...
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I’ve got a bit more time to type and I really think Artists Daydream is your answer. Really simple to build and a practical small stage illusion.

You could customize the art piece to a piece in the museum even. The Steinmeyer routine has several painting titles in a bag, an audience member selects one at random, and then the lady appears in the frame dressed to match that title. So you could mention several of the museums paintings as you pull examples from the bag, could even be funny if there was a particularly violent or erotic piece in the museum.
Lin_
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lin_
I like the performance of Paul Daniels most!

https://youtu.be/LCq1cw_j7qM
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
The "Artist Dream" portion was more stagecraft than illusion in the Daniel's video, however it was just a small part of the larger effect of the presentation which was his version of the "Mascot Moth". This illusion was also recreated on stage by Doug Henning in his Broadway "Merlin" musical. There has been much written about this illusion by Steinmeyer and others, and it's difficulty in presentation.

The only person I have seen perform the "Artist Dream Illusion" (as created) was Peter Reveen ie. basic frame and a paper covered panel.

The "Vampire Illusion" or "Creo" is also an artist model "come-to-life" sort of illusion also.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have always liked Viktor Voitko's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yplxI2_7BbM
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Artists Dream (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL