The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » ESP cards on stage (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

StevenScott
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of StevenScott
Hello all, I've been doing ESP card matching routines for about a decade. In hundreds of close up performances I have never failed to get audible gasps from the routine. It just seems so real to the participant. They are also very flexible in that you can read the spectators mind or make the spectator the star and let them read yours. I'm speaking of course of the numerous variations of the original Bob Hummer routine. I'm wondering if anyone here has ever tried performing this on stage and if they were able to get it to play big enough for a larger audience? (50 to a 100) I'm really thinking of trying this but when I develop a new routine I obsess over it for a very long time and I'm hoping I'm not chasing a dead end. Is there a reason I've never seen any of the big names do this for a larger audience? Its such a powerful effect that I cant believe no one is doing a stage version? What am I missing?
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3242 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I do an ESP card routine on stage, but not the effect you're talking about.

I think the fact that the cards are usually laid down on a table may be less than optimal since so much of the routine happens in a place that only one person can see. Unless you're using a camera and projector or something.

There are some apparatuses for doing a matching effect on stage, but the ones I've seen are very magic-y (Astor mental I think one of them is called).
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
I made up a set for stage that I have performed a handful of times so far. Tried to upload a pic here, but can't seem to get it to work.
It's a minimal looking revolving stand, 5 clear acrylic holders, and jumbo ESP cards. The method can be found in Peter Warlock's book.
StevenScott
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of StevenScott
You both hit on my concern. Displaying the final reveal. Pit Boss I was thinking of some kind of stand to display the results on like you suggested but everytime I visualize getting the spectator to put their card on a stand in sync with mine it just doesn't seem to flow very well theatrically. I'll have to look up the Peter Warlock method as I'm not familiar. I know when using a table the final display of 5 matching sets just looks amazing at the conclusion of the effect. Thanks for your input.
StevenScott
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of StevenScott
I tried this tonight in my "living room stage" and it doesn't work. I used a sheet metal display stand for the final reveals but if the audience cant see the action on the table before the final display they will tune out. Although there are other ESP card effects that can be done on stage "corindas third choice" I'm convinced this plays better close up or parlor size at best. Oh well. Until I'm big enough to have overhead cameras and monitors like Copperfield I think ill put this on the back burner.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
How about using an innocent standard folding wooden or plastic plate holder/display stand to hold each card or stack of cards upright?

Julie
StevenScott
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of StevenScott
Julie, In my pervious post I meant to type "I used a sheet music stand" not sheet metal. lol I got the idea from Colin Mcleod. Its an inexpensive and very good looking way to display some jumbo cards on stage. The problem I was having is that after the second selection, in certain outcomes, it is essential in the routine to show the cards to see how the spec. is "doing so far". I usually accomplish this using a Mexican turnover move. Sorry if this is cryptic. I started to realize last night that my routine is the problem. You need to have a perfect one for one match every single time to avoid any slight of hand, which would be difficult/awkward when the cards are on a stand. Then it hit me. If you were to do the old Hen Fetsch routine "Symbologic" with jumbo cards while displaying them on a display stand side by side you could absolutely do this routine on stage. Im spending my day at the beach today cards in hand with my note book trying to block this out.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3062 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It's not done with ESP Cards, but my "Card Board Cartomancy" from The Wizards' Journal #39 uses a Sticky Surface (repositionable) board on a music stand (conductor's quality) that can be tilted up as shown in the photo below, or laid flat like a table. Cards placed on the sticky board stay where they are put, with the board up or down.

Al-Quadir Marsh (aka Qua-Fiki) also used a similar stand for performing his "McD's JUMBO Aces" in The Wizards' Journal #33, for a different view of a smaller sticky board mounted on a music stand: https://www.magicnook.com/WIZJ33/wizj33-10McDsJUMBOAces.htm (larger view)
StevenScott
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of StevenScott
Wow Jim! That is a very nice set up and display. Thank you for that. I haven't given up on this. I'm just trying to work out the routine and blocking.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11562 Posts

Profile of John C
I use a homemade bulldog clip in a stand upside down. Homemade.

I show the 5 esp cards and have a spec guess which one is in the clip. And guess what they are correct.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1687 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
George Anderson’s Magic Digest includes instructions for ESP Knockout. Essentially a stand showing 5 cards, back out. A member of the audience will get as many correct as you want them to.

Patrick
StevenScott
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of StevenScott
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2019, John C wrote:

I show the 5 esp cards and have a spec guess which one is in the clip. And guess what they are correct.

This sounds like an interesting idea but I'm am trying to make sense of an upside down bulldog clip. If its upside down then I guess its not an Ostin type clip. I'm confused. At any rate it sounds like a good routine. I have found that getting even a single match on a 1 in 5 can play very strong. The fact that you were so willing to take the chance on stage to prove that you could transmit the image and then you succeeded negates the fact that it's a 1 in 5 chance and people are pretty amazed. I think most people miss that point so good for you. When I do Zenner matching close up and lay my card down first then they lay theirs down and I notice I got a luck hit I play it up on just how I received my impression and I slowly turn my card over. I amazed at how hard this hits. Sometime I just stop the trick right there because it's all I need.
StevenScott
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of StevenScott
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2019, John C wrote:

Just to be clear. I understand that you have a full proof method and you are not just taking a real chance on stage. I was just trying to make the point of how strongly that can play. Any chance you would like to direct me to a resource? Smile
StevenScott
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of StevenScott
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2019, Mr. Woolery wrote:
George Anderson’s Magic Digest includes instructions for ESP Knockout. Essentially a stand showing 5 cards, back out. A member of the audience will get as many correct as you want them to.

Patrick

Hmmmm. Thankyou. I will be researching this time permitting. I love the pure look of just using the cards. Sometimes if it looks like a trick stand the people just assume its a trick stand.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3062 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Is this what you had in mind? It would work better if the handles were flatter.

Wait! Now I get it! Like this!

And it doesn't look like a trick stand.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » ESP cards on stage (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL