The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professors nightmare to one rope ending. CLEAN (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Hi I am asking you if there would be an interest in doing a professors nightmare then ending in very clean one rope ending. This is done a la Pavel (I didn't know him but thank him for his great creativity) w ma...ts. But it is done better. Basically I use this in my shows. It is perfect for even the occasional kids who think they know the P.N. This should last almost forever. I have found a great way to manufacture them. But it is labor intensive.

I usually have audience members pull on each rope. They just arent going to detect anything. After you make them one, you can display the rope freely. It does not have to be held in a certain position. It can be done close up too, with a little movement and a little instruction. I am just trying to see if there would be any demand for this. Should last you forever. For me, it is nice to have an effect in the show supplies that is always ready to go, never needs to be updated. No more rope needed. The audience seems to "get" the clean open display of the rope at the end. It would be sold for about 25 dollars with shipping. I could not afford to sell it through a dealer. their markup would put it out of reach of the average magician. I am NOT TRYING TO SELL THIS. I appreciate all of you here on the rope forum who helped me finally come up with my rope routine. I am just trying to get your feedback on whether this is something you could possibly use in this price range or not. Again, it is pretty simple. Professors Nightmare. Then end in a simple and clean and quick ONE ROPE TRANSFORMATION. WHICH CAN BE CLEANLY SHOWN. NO SWITCHES. Let me know. I will not sell any. I am just asking if there is any interest among performers. thanks again for all of your contributions and feedback. And thank you Pavel. I feel you never really got credit for all your great inventions. IN the way you deserved!!!
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Ok I will make it more clear. Please just press on "like" if you would possibly be interested in this. this is not an attempt to sell it , just to see that there is interest out there. There are all kinds of rope gymnastic routines out there. Not many of them end in a super clean one rope ending with no switches. With a completely open display of the whole rope. To audiences, it is a miracle. They just "examined" the three ropes.
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Perhaps a video of you using/performing with these ropes?

Can these ropes be examined and if not....do you think the ropes need to be examined by the spectators when performing Prof. Nightmare???

And as for Pavel... R.I.P mein Freund Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Zauberman, there is a couple versions of the Professor Nitemare routine starting out with a one long length of rope. The magician cuts the rope into 3 unequal pieces of rope from this one long piece of rope. That is the best way to start the Professor Nitemare effect if you do not have the 3 pieces examined at the start of the effect. In some performing, as in a stage setting, it is not easy to have the ropes examined do to stage height, and a person having to the foot of the stage, to verify the ropes so not stretch and are just normal rope.

Using this method, would make countrymarven's ending come full circle in the routine and presentation.

The only way to prove the rope is regular with just the Professor Nitemare 3 ropes is throw the rope into the audience at the end. Of course that would mean, making a new set of ropes for each performance.

Just to note, I have never seen a magician start with on long length of rope, that is how much magician's hate to buy rope, and pre-show preparation of their props. I am sure adding this would increase the mystery of this famous classic rope effect.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Bill.... you’ve never seen Pop Haydn or Mac King? They both start with a long piece of rope, and end with a long piece of rope.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Yes thomasR. I know of the versions. But with this version, there is no hiding, no quick display and also no switch. I find that once they pull on the ropes, basically examining them, when you make it one, they never ask to see them. The display is of the whole rope. you are not hiding a joint. And there is not switch either. So it is very magical for spectators. I like this because you could do it in a tshirt, never go to your pockets and show the whole one rope cleanly at the end. I am not aware of another version currently done that can do this. In Pop's version there is no handout of the rope, neither is it necessary to do so here. Much less with a clean show of the whole rope.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Also, nobody should refer to Mac King's routine in his show; he has not released that. Here is a description of the one he markets:
Phase 1. A basic cut and restoration of a piece of rope. The phase ends with the "let's start over" line while displaying the restored rope.

Phase 2. The rope is cut in half by the spectator and two pieces are clearly displayed in each hand of the magi. The two pieces are tied together at the ends so that the rope looks like one long piece with a knot in the middle. The knot then slides off the rope, the rope is restored, and the knot is tossed to the audience.

Phase 3. Spectator cuts rope into two pieces and keeps one, while magi keeps the other. Magi and spec both tie the two ends of their ropes together to form a loop. The spectator cuts the magi's rope and then cuts hers so that each have a length of rope with a knot in the middle. The spec puts down the scissors. Magi tries to slide his knot off his rope as in phase two, but cannot. The spec tries her knot and it slides off her rope and the rope is restored. Magi extends his rope to the spec and she slides the knot off and restores the magi's rope as well.

This and Pop Haydn's are different animals. Cut and restored. If anyone knows of another effect other than Pavel's where three separate ropes are examined (not fully) and handled by the audience, the PN is performed, then they are cleanly made into one rope almost instantly, with no hidden joints and without covering let me know. Again, this is not a cut and restored.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I was referring to Bill saying he’s never seen a magician “start with a long length of rope.”
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
In my routine, The Mongolian Pop Knot, the long rope is always examined thoroughly at the beginning of the routine. Cut and Restored, Second Cut and Restored into Professor's Nightmare, Three equal ropes are tied together and the knots pulled off. The restored rope is shown and displayed, but not examined.

countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Dear Pop, You are the master. I am not trying to detract in any way from your masterpiece. I was only trying to see if there was interest in a different routine with no extra rope replacement needed. I will just keep this treasure. No need to try to market something with a high cost of manufacturing.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
Dear Pop, You are the master. I am not trying to detract in any way from your masterpiece. I was only trying to see if there was interest in a different routine with no extra rope replacement needed. I will just keep this treasure. No need to try to market something with a high cost of manufacturing.

I didn't mean anything but to clarify my routine, and its features.

What you have sounds great. I would love to see it. There are always different ways to approach a thing.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I really appreciate the results. I have decided the best way to market this is to sell it with a booklet and magnets.
It is a diy project but it will save them money and will also let you make another one in the future if you need one.

Pop, I am a huge fan of yours. Your magic is "golden."
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
I really appreciate the results. I have decided the best way to market this is to sell it with a booklet and magnets.
It is a diy project but it will save them money and will also let you make another one in the future if you need one.

This is a good approach as it allows it to be incorporated into different routines. For example, Sankey has a routine where the ropes are black with white tips resembling wands. The tips slide along the rope for a visual fusion of the three pieces to one (via a different method than yours). It looks great and works good for kids parties where you are closeup. But it is bad for larger platform or stage where the black ropes are very hard to see. Net, giving people the opportunity to easily customize it for their conditions outweighs the DIY aspect in my opinion.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Great point. Frank. YOu are right. the diy project has to have nice advantages for it to be worth it.
I would like to credit Pavel again. He pioneered this when the glues etc were not all that. So he will get a lot of credit for this.
Pavel was way ahead of his time. He probably never earned near what he should have from his incredible inventions, particularly his rope magic inventions.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
I would like to credit Pavel again. He pioneered this when the glues etc were not all that. So he will get a lot of credit for this.
Pavel was way ahead of his time. He probably never earned near what he should have from his incredible inventions, particularly his rope magic inventions.

Indeed. Did you ever hear Daryl tell the story of how Pavel gave him the rights to market Acrobatic Knot (aka Fantastic Knot/Jumping Knot of Pakistan)? Daryl heavily admired Pavel and was extremely nervous about approaching him. But Pavel was super excited just to find a magician who appreciated his work! So he sold the rights to Daryl for what Daryl described as "a pittance". But this allowed Daryl to refine and aggressively market it and keep it from falling into obscurity. So Pavel's magic lives on.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks I really appreciate that story. God bless Daryl and Pavel. I only wish I could know them. I do, but only through their videos.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I just did this in a show today. Incredible reactions at the end when it becomes one rope. Think about it . you had people pull on three different sized ropes. to them they are normal. They see them turn to all the same size . Then to three different sizes. Then when they see them instantly turn to one, and you freely display it without holding any seam etc,... at that point they just give up. they really think you are doing a miracle with ropes. There is no apparent answer. I love this. Put it in your show case. It is always ready. No problem. For thousands of performances. Then more on top of that. wow. Since it is this easy, I am sure I will add a finale to it. Like a dove production. once you get this down, adding one more brain blower on the end would not be too hard . hehe.
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Hello gentlemen, I would like to seek your advice regarding the most convincing false count for 3 'similar' ropes ?

Also from your experience, is it better to start with 3 equal length or 3 different sizes ?

thanks
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
My advice may not be too good. But Starting with three ropes which can be examined is a very strong point.
I think the false count in any form, since they are essentially the same m.o, is great. The key is practicing it until
it no longer looks false . hehe. it looks smooth just like you are counting three ropes. Remember too, it is natural to bungle a tiny bit as you grab another rope (during the sw00ch.....) That is what makes the false count sure fire. YOu almost can't do it wrong.... It looks natural. If you practice it.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2019, DrVG wrote:
Also from your experience, is it better to start with 3 equal length or 3 different sizes ?

Different sizes. This allows you to slowly "stretch" the ropes. This is the most powerful illusion available in the trick. It isn't 'three different length ropes *poof* they are the same' but rather 'three different length ropes slowly and visibly become the same'.

Watch Daryl perform it as part of his rope routine. Note how he tugs on rope at start and in count. This is important psychological piece to establish ropes are solid before and after transformation. The PN section starts at 2 minutes 37 seconds. The count is at 5 minutes 21 seconds.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professors nightmare to one rope ending. CLEAN (36 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL