The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » The Stranger (iPhone App) by Jonathan Levit (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23 [Next]
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2020, AutarchicFlux wrote:
Same here too. What a bummer of a year it's been. The bright side, I suppose, is that since none of us are performing it, it's still totally unknown to our spectators!

Since this topic has been resurrected, I figure I'll bring up another point that's been concerning me lately. I recently permanently deleted my Facebook account, and I don't ever wish to sign up for Facebook again. Maybe Johnathan could ensure there's a way for principled "No Facebook" users to still stay updated on the latest info for the app?

The facebook group mainly has live streams about new updates and other things. I'm sure jonathan would be able to help you. If you have any specific questions feel free to message me since I'm in it.
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2020, simon hughes wrote:
For me, Diverter by Mark Kerstein is an excellent option. Much cheaper and offers the exact same effect, your audience can’t tell the difference. I’ve been loving it in the zooms.

Claiming Diverter offers the exact same effect as The Stranger is an example par excellence for a completely misleading information. That is the very reason why comparing both prices is absolutely flawed. Please check the details of either application before you utter something like that - for the sake of the developer's efforts put into apps like these.
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 18, 2020, Michael.Kegel wrote:
Quote:
For me, Diverter by Mark Kerstein is an excellent option. Much cheaper and offers the exact same effect, your audience can’t tell the difference. I’ve been loving it in the zooms.

Claiming Diverter offers the exact same effect as The Stranger is an example par excellence for a completely misleading information. That is the very reason why comparing both prices is absolutely flawed. Please check the details of either application before you utter something like that - for the sake of the developer's efforts put into apps like these.

It does perform the exact same effect. With diverter I can have a spectator name any card I open my phone app, call a random number and the person on the other end reveals it with no codes. I have both. How is it misleading?
gotgot
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of gotgot
That is such a great effect
any news about when (or if) it's coming to France? Switzerland?
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 18, 2020, gotgot wrote:

It already works in both of those places at least on iphone. Android I think it is but I'm not 100% sure. Which one are you on?
alchemy92
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of alchemy92
This is such an awsome App - I love it!
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2020, cardistry master wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

It does perform the exact same effect. With diverter I can have a spectator name any card I open my phone app, call a random number and the person on the other end reveals it with no codes. I have both. How is it misleading?

Because that describes only about 3% of The Stranger's functionality. Please inform yourself as to what the app you're commenting on actually does.
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 18, 2020, AutarchicFlux wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Because that describes only about 3% of The Stranger's functionality. Please inform yourself as to what the app you're commenting on actually does.

Yes I have the stranger so please don't be so rude. I don't want to argue since it is a good app but saying it isn't possible with diverter is just not true. I didn't say you could do everything I said you could do most things.
tleong
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
22 Posts

Profile of tleong
I hope The Stranger can come out with a lite version which only allow the call to live stranger because in many other countries, there is no local recorded conversation available for download. Example I'm in Malaysia, I wont be able to use any of the recorded conversation available but I still need to pay for the same price as others. That was only the problem stopping me from buying it now.
And too bad Diverted doesn't work for me either because I'm a Android user.
gotgot
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of gotgot
Quote:
Quote:

It already works in both of those places at least on iphone. Android I think it is but I'm not 100% sure. Which one are you on?

android
you mean it works with people answering in french? thank you!
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

android
you mean it works with people answering in french? thank you!

I have it on iphone and there are recordings and convincers in french. if you go into the play store it is a 7 day free trial so you can make sure but it should work there also.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
If I buy this app do I half to pay the monthly subscription in order to use any part of this?
novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2020, MR Effecto wrote:
If I buy this app do I half to pay the monthly subscription in order to use any part of this?

The small, optional monthly subscription fee pays for the text messages if you want to be able to send a live Stranger information about the reveal (e.g., playing card, word, number). It's not necessary if you have another way to communicate with your Stranger (e.g., force, spoken code), or if you're using a recording instead of a live Stranger.
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
It deserves to be mentioned that a new feature of this app also allows you to send the audience-generated phone number to your stranger, so they can confirm if necessary that that's their number, as an extra convincer.
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Quote:

To perform with a real stranger without a code yes.
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 18, 2020, AutarchicFlux wrote:
It deserves to be mentioned that a new feature of this app also allows you to send the audience-generated phone number to your stranger, so they can confirm if necessary that that's their number, as an extra convincer.

yes I agree. that's one thing I cant do with diverter Smile
novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
Quote:
Quote:

To perform with a real stranger without a code yes.

You can also use a force you've prearranged with the Stranger.
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's misleading because you still haven't compared the scopes of functions offered by The Stranger and Diverter. As long as you refuse to check them, you have no other choice but to wonder where you're mistaken and why you're misleading other users of the Café with your statements that come across like facts.

Let me help you ... (no offence)

Diverter: https://apps.apple.com/de/app/diverter/id1081486684
The Stranger: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/the-stranger/id1397183489

There you go.
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Michael my issue is that I can perform some of the same effects minus the integrations. I have both apps so please don’t accuse me of not looking at both of the apps. I’m not misleading anyone. I have checked them and I can perform almost the same thing. Do you have both of the apps?
novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2020, MrBrown wrote:
Diverter: Call any number, it rings one you preprogrammed
The Stranger: Call any number, it rings the one you preprogrammed (plus if you spend an additional 500 bucks on in app purchases it will integrate with some other apps and stuff)
Right?

I don't have Diverter (I have an Android phone), but The Stranger does a lot more than that.

First, in addition to calling preprogrammed numbers you can also "call" one of many recordings. These are scripted in a way that makes it easy to interact with them as if they were live people. There are also voicemail recordings and "the number you have reached has been disconnected," etc. These can be used as convincers, so that the first number or two you call don't work, and then you get a live person or interactive recording for the last one.

Second, The Stranger conveys information to your confederate through text messages if you pay $3.99 per month for that service. The information can include when you start your show, when a playing card has been selected, a word from a booktest, Wikitest, or other routine, a number, etc. It can include instructions for how to solve a Rubik's Cube to match the spectator's, for owners of The Stranger who also own Cubesmith. There are extra in-app purchases available for the ability to send information to your confederate that you or the spectator merely spoke out loud, using voice recognition; for an optimized number keypad; and for the ability to save lists of words for use in a booktest.

Third, The Stranger comes with a huge and wonderful community. The Facebook group is extremely active with ideas and support, and there are WhatsApp groups in several countries that let you find a confederate at a moment's notice. So you're not only getting an app, you're getting a global network of confederates.

Fourth, The Stranger works on iOS and Android. FaceTime is available on iOS, and video calling is coming soon for Android.

Marc Kerstein and Jonathan Levit are both extremely creative and talented app developers, and both deserve a lot of credit for their products. If you're on a strict budget, have an iPhone, and only want to make a phone call, Diverter is fine. If you want a huge range of features and assistants all over the world (or if you have an Android), The Stranger is the way to go.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » The Stranger (iPhone App) by Jonathan Levit (66 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL