The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Shell making (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex Day
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Alex Day
Hi
I've been into shell making lately because I have a show and I think making your own billiard balls it the most impressive.
I've made shells out of glue and sweeping compound. It worked but they are very crude. Years ago I made them from wood puddy and that worked but I have to go to the plastic store to get it. I tried fimo "nope". Same with sculpy. Anyone had success with shell making? Let me know.
Thanks
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21953 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You have to buy a wood lath, and learn to turn wood. A small one is good for shells and thimbles. Take a class at an extension college or a learning center.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1687 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Turning a ball is not complicated. Turning a wooden shell is not so simple for a beginner

The golf balls I’ve seen had a thin metal shell. Tooling for this as a home craftsman is not a money saver, I fear.

One possible method is a heat forming plastic like Kydex. I’ve never tried a billiard shell but I have made other stuff out of kydex.

If you want to avoid turning wood, you will have to experiment a lot.

Patrick
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21953 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Golf Ball shell is $5, on how to make it in metal by James P. Riser on his website, you have scroll down the page to find it.

Just search James P. Riser magic, to locate his webpage.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
126 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Hi, I've made many shells for various size balls. I make them out of epoxy plastics. you need to embed the ball into clay to the midline ( call it the equator) coat the ball in mold release or even use Pam cooking spray.
Then use a paint on epoxy in thin coats and let dry until its thick enough. Go to the Smooth-On company website, they have a vast product line and the Smooth cast 325D product sets fast and can even be sanded and painted or even precolored with their compatible coloring additives.
You're looking at about total $50 investment in materials but even the smallest size should be enough for many shells.
I've also used their other products for years to make magic props, sponge props, etc.
Check them out
Bruce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Shell making (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL