The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » High-Quality Prop Cases (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
After 15 years of using various store-bought cases, I made my own prop case with every feature you can imagine... There's blinds on the sides, a light that activates when the lid opens, custom prop compartments, recessed magnets, coat hook, and a snazzy lid stay.

I've often been curious about building these for other magicians, but I'm not sure if there would be any interest. Is there a market for bespoke prop cases?

Your feedback is appreciated!

Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
WOW! Your prop case is almost too beautiful to be used. (I would feel terrible after the first nick or scratch...)

Julie
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1711 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Very nice work!
There may be some interest from others, I have seen lesser made ones that were successful.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
How much does it weigh? (empty or full?)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Thank you for you kind words Julie and Wravyn!

Dick, I've never weighed the box, but it is quite heavy. It's made of solid 1/2" walnut and must be 20+ lbs empty. It works perfect for my show, but I imagine others may want something a bit lighter - easily done by using thinner or less dense wood.
lnlver
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of lnlver
It looks like you made the box joints really well. I know that the hardware was not cheap! Excellent workmanship. Did you consider making dovetail joints or didn't you have the jig?
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
401 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Looks like dovetail joints to me.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2019, Sam Pearce wrote:
Thank you for you kind words Julie and Wravyn!

Dick, I've never weighed the box, but it is quite heavy. It's made of solid 1/2" walnut and must be 20+ lbs empty. It works perfect for my show, but I imagine others may want something a bit lighter - easily done by using thinner or less dense wood.

Yeah! About 1970, I had a Merv Taylor suitcase table made. I spent a "bunch" of $$$$ with chiropractors that season!!!

I went back to my 13" x 20" x 8" "fat attache case. Fully loaded for my 45 minute school assembly program, it weighs 23 lbs. My "waiters' tray stand adds a couple more lbs, but, it's on wheels, and when I get inside the school, I can put the prop case on top, and push it to the auditorium or gym.

With 13 -- 15 shows a week, it's a lot easier!
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Dick, you're so right! Great words of advice. When you're doing a run of shows, doesn't it feel like the cases get heavier and heavier every night? lol

lnlver and Dan, I did consider dovetails, but decided on box joints. I've found they're just as nice and strong and dovetails, and easier to build.

Here's some shots of the rough joints and the shop-made jig (it runs over a router table) that was used to cut the joints.

Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Wow! That's a great job. That's the best I have seen!!!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2019, Sam Pearce wrote:
Dick, you're so right! Great words of advice. When you're doing a run of shows, doesn't it feel like the cases get heavier and heavier every night? lol

lnlver and Dan, I did consider dovetails, but decided on box joints. I've found they're just as nice and strong and dovetails, and easier to build.

Here's some shots of the rough joints and the shop-made jig (it runs over a router table) that was used to cut the joints.

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2019, Sam Pearce wrote:

And, the older you get, the heavier the case becomed!
Dan David
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Dan David
Steve, thanks for the post. I am also a woodworker and also love box joints. Great work!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » High-Quality Prop Cases (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL